Thread: Dip nibs and caligraphy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Dip nibs and caligraphy

As I said I intend to try and learn Copperplate and cursive Italic. I am waiting on some books but cant wait so I decided to practice making the form of the Italic letters. I dont have any dip nib or holders yet so I am using my Lamy with a 1.5 italic fitted. Seems to work OK but the dip italic nibs will be better.
    The square dip nibs may be better than the Lamy nib, but that doesn't necessarily hold for all fountain pen nibs. Recently I acquired a set of six Osmiroid 65 nibs ranging from fine to 2.3mm. All are italic, and all are really crisp. The thing is, the Osmiroid 65 nibs fit straight into an Esterbrook body, and that's what I am doing! Osmiroid nibs are still quite cheap (mine cost $20 for the set).

Anyway, I have yet to try any dip nib italics, nearest being my Jackson Stubs (Esterbrook #442), but I hear that a good way to go is the Mitchell Roundhand Square nibs (funny name I know) that can also be found on PaperInkArts and other places.

Great link by the way. I am on Flourish now but I haven't had much time to explore yet.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Carpio (August 5th, 2023), Laurie (June 23rd, 2015)