Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dip nibs and caligraphy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Dip nibs and caligraphy

As I said I intend to try and learn Copperplate and cursive Italic. I am waiting on some books but cant wait so I decided to practice making the form of the Italic letters. I dont have any dip nib or holders yet so I am using my Lamy with a 1.5 italic fitted. Seems to work OK but the dip italic nibs will be better.
    The square dip nibs may be better than the Lamy nib, but that doesn't necessarily hold for all fountain pen nibs. Recently I acquired a set of six Osmiroid 65 nibs ranging from fine to 2.3mm. All are italic, and all are really crisp. The thing is, the Osmiroid 65 nibs fit straight into an Esterbrook body, and that's what I am doing! Osmiroid nibs are still quite cheap (mine cost $20 for the set).

Anyway, I have yet to try any dip nib italics, nearest being my Jackson Stubs (Esterbrook #442), but I hear that a good way to go is the Mitchell Roundhand Square nibs (funny name I know) that can also be found on PaperInkArts and other places.

Great link by the way. I am on Flourish now but I haven't had much time to explore yet.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Carpio (August 5th, 2023), Laurie (June 23rd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    Hey Laurie, do you already have DR. Joe Vitolos book from the App Store?
    No I didnt realise it was there I will have a look. Thanks for the hint. I did read something of his when I googled. I check to see if it is the same
    “When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Laurie;135163]
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    No I didnt realise it was there I will have a look. Thanks for the hint. I did read something of his when I googled. I check to see if it is the same[/QUOTEthis book is awesome. It has so many videos in it. You will really enjoy this

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Special K For This Useful Post:

Carpio (August 5th, 2023), Laurie (June 23rd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I noticed on the linked videos that the demonstrator doesn't give many directions for drawing guide lines. For italic writing she states that the X height should be 5 nib widths, but doesn't say anything about ascenders and descenders - which I believe should be 3 nib widths (happy to be corrected though).

Thanks

Thx for thread!
    Last edited by ZakuzaLoopa; January 13th, 2023 at 09:11 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ZakuzaLoopa For This Useful Post:

Carpio (August 5th, 2023)

Thanks

Temu App is an online marketplace operated by the Chinese e-commerce company PDD Holdings Inc. and headquartered in Boston. It offers heavily discounted goods which are mostly shipped to consumers directly from China.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

You have to boil the Mitchel nibs to take off the varnish. I've always had good luck with Speedball nibs, which hold a lot of ink for a dipper, and are easy to wield, and make nice, crisp lines.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to post but it seems to fit better here. I have recently renewed my interest in fountain pens and my last venture was to experience flex pens. On advice from forum members that it would be better to buy some flex dip nibs and feel the experience. They wisely advised that it was much cheaper than buying a pen with a flex nib ( may only be softy or springy and not really flex).

So I took that advice and am waiting on an ebay purchase of about 10 various nibs and pen holders. Some of the nibs are fine pointed flex nibs and others are italics. I have been doing a bit of research to determine appropriate nib holders, inks etc. Interestingly I discovered the oblique holder and more interestingly there is a very interesting youtube article on how to make your own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNuvi-fdutE. You may notice at the end of this video he does not show how to fit these oblique holders onto the pen itself. I sent Christopher an email and he was very responsive and advised me of how to do it. Originally his method was flawed in that ink and water when washing got into the end of the pen holder causing swelling and ruining the wooden pen holder. He now attaches it differently using flue and brass pins and creating a water proof barrier.

The making of the oblique holders appears fairly straight forward and does not require the purchase of many tools such as the bailing pliers. However making the actual wooden pen holder is more challenging for me. Without a lathe and lathing skills I imagine it would be hard. I couldnt find anywhere to buy blanks and maybe there is an easier solutions (e.g. buying dowel and whittling and sandpapering) Any ideas on this area would be appreciated.

In my research I found another interesting site: http://www.paperinkarts.com/calligra...n-holders.html. You will see that the holder and oblique attachment is very well thought out and made and has even been slightly offset to give the correct nib angle (there is some talk about the things they considered in designing this holder). I live in Australia and the cost of having this pen holder and having it shipped is about $38 AUD which I think is reasonable. By the time you buy the tools, brass etc it would be little if any savings. The only advantage would be that you could have most of the commonly used nibs set up in the oblique holder and have individual wooden holders for each nib so it would be just a matter of switching over. The alternative doesnt seem that bad and you just insert the nib into the single purchased pen holder via the screw section.

I am opening up a whole new world in my pen experiences and now that has led me into the world of caligraphy. It seems that these flexy and italic dip nibs would be wasted on my ordinary scribbly handwriting and so I have decided to undertake some self education in various handwriting styles. This is where I would appreciate a little advice. My first thoughts was to learn copperplate writing and then some italic writing followed perhaps by some old english or gothic styles. Does anyone have any wise input into this as I have found my research very confusing. Are there other styles that I should consider. I would prefer a cursive type of writing and not a print style.

I have ordered an old Copperplate tuition book (Gordon Turner "The Technique of Coppperplate Caligraphy") and having joined a Caligraphy forum https://zumbaliciouscrew.com/en/zumba-gold/ where I may be able to get some free online lessons.

I would appreciate any suggestions and comments on the matters raised in this post as i am very overwhelmed and unsure where I am going at this point of time.
    It's wonderful that you're diving into the world of fountain pens, nibs, and calligraphy! It sounds like you've done thorough research and are ready for an exciting journey. Here are some thoughts and suggestions:

Making Oblique Holders:
    Blank Material: If you don't have access to pre-made blanks, consider using hardwood dowels available at local woodworking or craft stores. Whittling and sanding the dowel into shape can be a satisfying and effective way to create a custom holder.
    Lathe Alternative: While a lathe would make the process easier, you can achieve good results with hand tools. A coping saw, files, and sandpaper can be used to shape the dowel.
    Purchasing vs. DIY:
    Paper and Ink Arts Holder:
    - The Paper and Ink Arts holder you found is well-designed, and if you find the cost reasonable, it can save you time and ensure a professional finish. It's especially valuable if you want a dedicated holder for each nib.
    DIY Savings:
    - While DIY may save you money, the time, effort, and tools required should also be considered. If you enjoy crafting and want a personalized touch, it can be a fulfilling project.Calligraphy Styles:
    Copperplate:
    - Learning Copperplate is an excellent choice, especially with the resources you've identified. It provides a foundation for understanding fine motor skills and ink flow control.
    Italic and Gothic:
    - Italic and Gothic are also great choices. Italic offers a more structured and versatile cursive style, while Gothic provides a beautiful, ornate look.

Spencerian and Roundhand:
    - Spencerian and Roundhand styles offer elegance and are worth exploring. They are cursive styles with varying degrees of formality.
    Modern Calligraphy:
    - Modern calligraphy has gained popularity, allowing for more personal expression. It's a looser, freer form of writing that blends traditional calligraphy with contemporary styles.
    Learning Resources:
    Online Platforms:
    - Websites like The Postman's Knock, IAMPETH, and Calligraphy Masters offer tutorials and resources for various calligraphy styles.
    Local Workshops:
    - Check if there are local calligraphy workshops or classes. Learning in-person can be beneficial, especially for hands-on guidance.
    Practice and Patience:
    - Calligraphy is a skill that improves with consistent practice. Start with drills and basic strokes before progressing to letterforms.

Remember, calligraphy is a personal journey, and there's no right or wrong path. Enjoy the process of discovery, and let your preferences guide you. Best of luck on your calligraphy adventure!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Spammers reported
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens