Thread: Rhodia Classic Black Notebook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default Rhodia Classic Black Notebook

I picked up this notebook at a Walden Books a few days ago along with a couple of other notebooks. I have two other Rhodia notepads, the Orange & Black Collection Pad No. 14 and the Classic top wire-bound A5, both in orange. The reason I bought my first Rhodia is because it’s colors are the same as my favorite motorcycle company’s, KTM. But, the reason I’ll keep buying their pads is because their paper is very high quality.

This is the A5 size, 14.8 X 21 cm. It contains 48, 80g sheets of lined paper. My only problem with Rhodia’s lined paper is the spacing of their lines. I write with fine, and extra fine nib fountain pens most of the time so I feel like I’m just wasting space with these extra wide lines. I think it is somewhere around 8mm and I prefer a 5mm spacing similar to what is found in Piccadilly notebooks. As you can see from the photo the corners are rounded, which is a huge plus in my book.

The paper is smooth, but not Clairefontaine smooth, at least in my experiences. It has a little texture to it that you can feel through the pen, but it is not a fibrous texture like that of the Piccadilly paper. I never feel that any of my fountain pens are going to catch on the paper and tear up fibers, even my custom ground cursive italics.
    When I use Rhodia paper I don’t have to worry about feathering or ink bleeding through the page. You can see the writing from the other side but that has never stopped me from using both sides of the sheet. The paper isn’t transparent enough to make the visible text on the opposite side an annoyance.
    The only problems I have with this specific notebook is its smallish 48 sheet capacity and no vertical lines for marking margins. But, the small sheet size does keep the thickness down so when you get to the edge or bottom of the page and your hand sits below the page level down on the desk the height difference is minimal. I find writing in that fashion very uncomfortable and usually prefer wire bound notebooks so I can fold all the pages back out of the way except for a few pages that I can use as a bit of a cushion.
    If you’ve never used any of Rhodia’s pads I highly suggest you check out Rhodia’s website and find your nearest supply store. If you don’t like it then post a comment and I’ll relieve it from your possession.

Thanks

"The paper is smooth, but not Clairefontaine smooth, at least in my experiences. It has a little texture to it that you can feel through the pen". I for one say Thank God! I have just realized that CF is the cause of the skipping I've been dealing with. Rhodia is a bit less but I still have trouble with it too. Having to put something under my (dry) hand when I write is not where I want to go. Why do I have to play it Clairefontaine's way, esp. when I am not all that impressed anyway? I've ordered some Banditapple and Ecosystem...
    I'm discovering vintage pens. Oh no!