Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorful New Pelikans

Thanks

Default Re: Colorful New Pelikans

Look like some great designs! There will be a market for them.

Always loved the pelicans!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Newbreed For This Useful Post:

Neo (June 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I'm not sure I would rush out to buy either, although I like the Classic 205 Amethyst

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Neo (June 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm not sure I would rush out to buy either, although I like the Classic 205 Amethyst
    Ditto

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I do apologize if my remark about my suspicions seemed flippant. I think the marketing is a little cheesy, myself. However, that was a reaction, and if it seemed like the first insensitive remark of the thread to anyone, then I can only conclude that the insensitivity is complete, indeed. I was fairly pissed off when I wrote it and only hoped that I had toned it down enough to hide that.
    --
    Mike

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Neo (June 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Well, keep in mind that the material referencing the "Ladies' Collection" for the pink-striped M600 were released by one seller only. Who I believe is located in Spain. It seems that the pink one isn't scheduled for release until September. Further, those tweets have now been removed, I notice. It's possible that the Ladies' Collection nomenclature wouldn't have been used in marketing by Pelikan USA or Pelikan in Western Europe, but was designated for other regions. It's possible it was a preliminary concept that Pelikan has since dropped. In any case it would seem to me that if Pelikan were upsetting customers or potential customers, they probably appreciate the feedback.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

naimitsu (June 20th, 2015), Neo (June 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I do apologize if my remark about my suspicions seemed flippant. I think the marketing is a little cheesy, myself. However, that was a reaction, and if it seemed like the first insensitive remark of the thread to anyone, then I can only conclude that the insensitivity is complete, indeed. I was fairly pissed off when I wrote it and only hoped that I had toned it down enough to hide that.
    I didn't see any remark, including yours, as insensitive. Just different opinions. I'd be curious what you thought was insensitive?

Further, Pelikan's marketing doesn't upset me in the least. If anything I find it a little amusing because it seems a little anachronistic for the US. But appropriate for other markets, to be sure. Also, I think Pelikan was trying to have a little fun and be a little less stodgy, which I like. Above all, this is Pelikan we are talking about, and these are fountain pens, which seem to appeal to many traditionalists. When the M600 Ruby came out -- which is red -- there were a number of men who stated that they found it "too feminine" to buy. That was a few years ago, maximum. Since I remember that, and I am a Pelikan fan, I have some sympathy for the challenges facing Pelikan when they want to put out a pink pen.

However, on the chance that Mike or anyone else finds that any of my remarks were insensitive, I absolutely apologize, too. They weren't meant that way. For me, it's all just opinions, and I enjoy reading those of others. For me, two new Pelikans is a purely happy thought. Especially in interesting colors. So, for me, it was a nice break at a time when some horrible things have happened in the news, that do make me feel genuine outrage and sadness. In contract, if there's an expensive pink pen marketed in a manner that seems a little anachronistic or perhaps redolent of Victoria's Secret? Well, I don't think anything except "ooh shiny." But I don't feel upset if other people have different opinions. However, I am sorry if I caused anyone to feel bad with any of my opinions or how they were expressed.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (June 20th, 2015), Hawk (July 26th, 2015), mhosea (June 20th, 2015), naimitsu (June 20th, 2015), Neo (June 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Maybe Pelikan is just trying to market to a new demographic in order to increase sales.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Maybe Pelikan is just trying to market to a new demographic in order to increase sales.....
    Which begs the question, how many women vs men have Pelikans on this forum?
    We may not be representative, but the other half has two and I have none. Granted, I'm not a fan of their nibs after writing with the 400NN and the Polar Lights pens. There's something about their higher end pens that doesn't seem to mesh well with my hand and/or writing style. The Pelikano Junior, on the other hand, was a riot to write with! Don't know what it is about that pen but I couldn't help the giggly little monster in my head that was capering around in there!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Some of these comments are causing me that think that maybe Pelikan is deviously brilliant with the pink one. Is it possible that the packaging and the whole look were designed to appeal to men? Who would then buy it for the women in their lives? A Victoria's Secret concept, extended to pens.
    I think you're on to something with that thought. My husband or son would buy this for me for Mother's Day and feel like they had brought me a prime specimen!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Laura N (June 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naimitsu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Which begs the question, how many women vs men have Pelikans on this forum?
    We may not be representative, but the other half has two and I have none. Granted, I'm not a fan of their nibs after writing with the 400NN and the Polar Lights pens. There's something about their higher end pens that doesn't seem to mesh well with my hand and/or writing style. The Pelikano Junior, on the other hand, was a riot to write with! Don't know what it is about that pen but I couldn't help the giggly little monster in my head that was capering around in there!
    I have Pelikans. More than a few.

I think pen forums seem to have a good number of both men and women who really like fountain pens. But, when I've gone to pen shows or pen stores, I have to say that I see more men than women.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 25th, 2015), naimitsu (June 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

At pen shows I find I'm usually the youngest person in the room and often the only woman. But online pen forums I find many, many more women. So maybe they just don't go to pen shows?
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I've been to a few different pen shows in the US. When I first started going, about six or seven years ago, it seemed like there were basically no other women in attendance. My sense is that there are a few more women who go now, or maybe I just notice them more now because I'm looking, but the men still vastly outnumber the women.

If I walk around the floor with my husband in tow (who knows nothing about pens), most people address him rather than me, assuming that he is the pen person. When they realize that I'm the pen person, not him, they are almost always surprised but are usually quick to recover. On the whole, pen show people are extraordinarily kind and welcoming. Though I have had a few people, usually older men, assume that I must not know anything at all about pens--but I don't know if that's because I look young or because I'm female (or possibly both or possibly for some other reason entirely). But those folks are relatively rare.

Thanks

Maybe it's a response to

products_main7843.jpg

My girlfriend likes the pens, I don't think she cared much for the packaging.

I personally was raised to ignore what others think and do what you feel like as long as you aren't hurting anyone. I think that in todays culture there's always going to be a certain segment of society you're going to lose with no matter what you do.

There may be a marketing ploy towards men buying for women. I have read that the diamond jewelry marketing is mainly geared towards men. In the 30's they found that men would spend far more on the jewelry than women would for themselves. (Not sure where I read it but it seemed legitimate).
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quantum Sailor For This Useful Post:

naimitsu (June 21st, 2015), Neo (June 21st, 2015)

Thanks

Pink and black I could like. Pink and white I'm afraid reminds me of a night I drank too much port....

Love the amethyst though. That's a seriously lovely pen and is now on my want list along with the cognac.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

naimitsu (June 25th, 2015)

Thanks

I think the pink and white one...just. No. I think if they wanted to go for something like that, I would prefer a red and black. Oh wait! I already own that one! I'm not too sure what they were thinking. Maybe they saw a custom pen floating about on the interwebs with the same colors and got inspired. That pen looks SUPER nice. Its white marbly acrylic though. Much more cream. To me this look like a knock off.

The Amethyst one...I may have time for that if I see it in person.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to TerraNoir For This Useful Post:

naimitsu (June 25th, 2015)

Thanks

I love the Amethyst Demonstrator and will definitely buy it. However the pink one is hideous IMO and I find the concept of "ladies' pen" patronising. I can't recall the last time I saw a company advertising a pen as a "man's pen".

As a small woman with lots of pens, many of which are large (including a Pelikan M800 Brown Tortoise), and none of which pink, generalising based on gender is lazy advertising.

I showed this pen to several female friends, none of whom liked it. As for my husband, he thought the ad was from the 1960s.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Newjelan For This Useful Post:

alc3261 (June 29th, 2015), naimitsu (June 25th, 2015), Neo (June 25th, 2015)

Thanks

Oh my goodness. There is another!

Fountain Pen Hospital (a wonderful store; sadly no affiliation) just posted this: a new "M201 Bayou 200" edition limited to 100 pens exclusively at their store. It looks like the acrylic from the Cities Series Grand Place, but matched with the regular black section, cap and piston knob.

Here is a link to the pen.

Here is a photo from the store's Twitter:

CIW7--cXAAAawBM.png

Sob. Want. Sob.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (June 25th, 2015), Jon Szanto (June 25th, 2015), reprieve (June 25th, 2015), View from the Loft (June 25th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Sob. Want. Sob.
    Off-load some of the excess Safaris. Cash piles up. SCORE!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Laura N (June 25th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Sob. Want. Sob.
    Off-load some of the excess Safaris. Cash piles up. SCORE!
    I do not understand this word "excess" as it might relate to Safaris.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (June 25th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I do not understand this word "excess" as it might relate to Safaris.
    ex·cess
    ikˈses,ˈekses
    noun

1. an amount of something that is more than necessary, permitted, or desirable.
    "Safaris? Oh, more than three, no doubt."
    synonyms: surplus, surfeit, overabundance, superabundance, superfluity, glut
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin