Thread: An appreciation of Noodler's "Charlie"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,155 Posts

Default An appreciation of Noodler's "Charlie"

My first attempt at a pen review. Comments and suggestions for improvement gratefully received.

-----

Noodler’s ‘Charlie’ is a free eyedropper pen that comes with the 4.5 oz size of Noodler’s Heart of Darkness - and now also with FPN Voltaire Candide Vermilion. These are my impressions after using them together for about a month.

BACKGROUND

The free pen with Heart of Darkness used to be an eyedropper-converted Platinum Preppy. As Nathan Tardif of Noodler’s Ink explains, the Charlie pen is a response to the events in Paris in January 2015 - his way of saying ‘Je suis Charlie’, or at least ‘Ce stylo est Charlie’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-FpVSf8udI

I missed out on the first batch of 140 Charlies, which sold out quickly. In some ways, being neither a satirical writer nor a cartoonist, I felt unqualified to take up that torch. But as soon as Goulet Pens (no affiliation, happy customer) got a second batch in stock around mid-May, I put in an order.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Charlie is a light, slim pen, similar in size, shape and materials to a Noodler’s Creaper. It feels comfortable and solid. The screw cap (mine is black with muted red-brown streaks that are hard to photograph) is interchangeable with a Creaper cap.

Creaper above, Charlie below.

The clear barrel, which is perhaps a touch softer than a Creaper’s, has NOODLERS INK CO stamped into one side and CHARLIE on the other. I think the absence of the ‘CHARLIE’ imprint on the barrel identifies a pen from the first production run.

Uncapping the pen reveals a black section and a friction-fit steel nib with an ebonite feed and a classic profile. It looks like it might be possible to swap a Creaper nib and feed into the Charlie.

Nib and section: Creaper above, Charlie below.

Approximate dimensions (ruler and kitchen scale)

Length: capped 132 mm, uncapped 118 mm, posted 138 mm
    Section diameter: 9 mm
    Inked weight: capped 12 g, uncapped 9 g

Size comparison: (top to bottom) Ahab, Creaper, Charlie

WRITING EXPERIENCE

Before filling I pulled and cleaned the nib and feed to remove any manufacturing residues, as recommended for Noodler’s pens.

The internal threads of the barrel are pre-greased. When filled to just below the threads, the barrel holds about 2.5 ml of ink.

After filling, the pen wrote on the first touch - no hesitation or skipping. Inked with Heart of Darkness, the smooth non-flex nib produces a fine, wettish, and very black line. Reverse writing yields a finer, drier, but no less black line. It was briefly a hard starter after a couple of days nib-up in a pen cup. Loosening the section a half turn and then tightening it again primed the feed and restored normal flow.

Writing sample on Nock index card.

CLOSING OBSERVATIONS

After a month using Charlie, I have only a few minor issues:
    - The ink reservoir seems to run down faster than I use it. The same is true of all my Noodler’s pens. Something about the permeability to air of vegetal resin compared to other plastics?
    - Because the cap posts deeply, any ink in the cap gets on the barrel and then on my hands. (I don't usually post but discovered this when measuring the posted length.)
    - The cap threads bind slightly, as on other Noodler’s pens.

Quibbles aside, I like Charlie very much. I like its looks, the way it writes, and what it stands for.

There is something attractive about a straightforward pen with a huge supply of indelible ink. Only the thought of all that ink getting loose in a bag or pocket stops me using it, or any eyedropper, as a carry pen. But that could change.

As for Heart of Darkness, I don’t yet know if it will become my standard black. I like it well enough that I shall be using it a lot in Charlie (and other pens) - and not just because I have a lot of it.

With many pens, aesthetics, fine materials, heritage - even price - inform the writing experience. Because it is functional, unadorned and free, Noodler’s Charlie removes these from consideration. There is almost nothing to distract from the essential function of putting ink on paper to preserve your thoughts for posterity, or until you get to the supermarket. (I say ‘almost nothing’ because any transparent container of ink is quite distracting to me.) Whether you write and draw to advance free speech and great ideas, or for less exalted reasons, Charlie is an enjoyable little pen.

Noodler’s Charlie

Design: classic, open nib
    Options: random cap swirls, otherwise none
    Filling system: eyedropper only
    Nib: steel
    Feed: ebonite
    Body material: vegetal resin

Pros
    free (with 4.5 oz bottle of Heart of Darkness or FPN Voltaire Candide Vermilion)
    smooth writer
    large capacity
    small and light
    posts securely
    feels sturdy

Cons
    smells a bit (doesn’t bother me)
    too small and light for some

Hommage à Tardif.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by catbert; July 1st, 2015 at 08:20 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (July 1st, 2015), Dreck (July 1st, 2015), Jeph (July 2nd, 2015), puzzo (October 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: An appreciation of Noodler's "Charlie"

Nice review! I can't load your images though, they all came through broken.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm struggling to get inline images without also repeating them as attachments. It looked OK in the preview. Still not sure if it's fixed. I can see the images now, but maybe they're cached in my browser.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'm struggling to get inline images without also repeating them as attachments. It looked OK in the preview. Still not sure if it's fixed. I can see the images now, but maybe they're cached in my browser.
    I don't see any images, sorry!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,744 Posts

I can't see them either...and I really want to!

Have you tried [img] [/img] ? You can copy/paste whatnI have here. Remove the extra spaces, put the url within the brackets. No question mark, of course, lol.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I don't see any images, sorry!
    Yeah, I noticed that too. Have admitted defeat and accepted attachments at the end of the post. Sorry for the redundancy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

Have you tried [img] [/img] ? You can copy/paste whatnI have here. Remove the extra spaces, put the url within the brackets. No question mark, of course, lol.
    As far as I can tell, I am using those tags. Anyway, hope you can see the images now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

As far as I can tell, I am using those tags. Anyway, hope you can see the images now.
    Yes, and they are very nice!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post

Yes, and they are very nice!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,744 Posts

Yes! Very cool...thanks for the review.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 7th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

good review, really good photos. thanks!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 7th, 2015)

Thanks

A small update, in which curiosity is satisfied.

----

As Charlie got to about half empty, the feed was becoming noticeably more saturated and it was writing wetter. Not unusual for an eyedropper, as I understand it (this is my first). I didn’t write long enough for my hand’s warmth to cause any ink burping.

Since I had to top up the pen anyway, it seemed like a good time to answer a couple of questions I'd been thinking about:
    Q. Can a Creaper nib and feed fit in a Charlie? Can a Charlie nib and feed fit in a Creaper?

Charlie-Creaper 1.jpg
    Creaper nib and feed above, Charlie nib and feed below.

A. Yes and yes.

Charlie-Creaper 2.jpg
    Above: Creaper with Charlie nib and feed.
    Below: Charlie with Creaper nib and feed.

Putting a larger ink supply behind a Creaper nib has a lot of potential. And there is the added bonus that the Charlie barrel is easier to flush.

The ‘Crealie’ hybrid (yes, terrible name) railroaded a little in the sample but is good now. It writes like a standard Charlie, which is to say smooth and wet, but feathers more on Nock card when flexed.

Charlie-Creaper 3.jpg
    Writing sample on Nock index card.

The reverse combination - Charlie nib in Creaper body (‘Charper’?) - worked well in a dip test. The feed sits further forward in this configuration. That might be an issue if your writing angle is lower than, say, 30 degrees.

Charlie-Creaper 4.jpg
    Charlie nib in Creaper body. Note stubborn rouge hematite stains.

Update to the update
    I have returned this Charlie to its original state and will get another for nib swaps and inks that are not Heart of Darkness. It’s a pen I grab often for notes and doodling. Evaporation is not as bad as I first thought, considering it gets a lot of handling (I still can’t help watching the ink slosh back and forth). I don't notice the smell unless I take a hit off the inside of the cap - and it's nowhere near as pungent as an Ahab .

Charlie-Creaper 5.jpg
    Crealie and Charper? Creachar - rhymes with creature - and Lieper? Perlie? (I'll stop now.)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Laura N (July 26th, 2015)

Thanks

I just got my Charlie Pen but can't get it to write. I'm using a different ink than Heart of Darkness but I literally inked up my pen about an hour and a half ago and still nothing will come through feed and onto paper. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tylereiland View Post
    I just got my Charlie Pen but can't get it to write. I'm using a different ink than Heart of Darkness but I literally inked up my pen about an hour and a half ago and still nothing will come through feed and onto paper. Any ideas?
    OK, where to start.

1. Sometimes there's a little bit of oily residue that prevents ink from flowing, so you can try flushing nib with warm soapy water.
    2. There could be an obstruction, a chip or burr from when the feed was cut. If so, you'd probably notice that something was wrong when flushing it.
    3. You might need to heat-set the feed to the nib. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rhfXcBoM_Q (Here's Nathan's video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1kWIUkVXPM )
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tylereiland View Post
    Welcome to FPG!

What Mike said.

Try pulling the nib and feed and cleaning them in warm water with a little dish soap. Gently scrub the feed channels with an old toothbrush or similar to clear any manufacturing remnants. Then rinse in clear water, blot dry and reassemble. Make sure the nib and feed are correctly positioned in the section and relative to one another.

Good luck.

Thanks

I got a Charlie Pen (and glass eyedropper) with my purchase of a bottle of Plymouth Wilderness at the Commonwealth Pen Show. I find it quite enjoyable to write with, and the length when posted helps balance out the narrowness of the barrel for me. When I filled it, I experienced occasional blobs of ink during the first couple of sessions. (I did clean it out before filling.) Since then there have been no incidents.