Thread: Monteverde Catalina Blue First Impressions

Thanks

Red face Monteverde Catalina Blue First Impressions

This post is also live on my blog at http://inkoutsidethebottle.tk/ so check it out!

Monteverde is a small town in rural Costa Rica, known for it's lush rainforests and is a common place for ecotourism. Monteverde is also a pen company, that is a division of the large Yafa company. For those unfamiliar with Yafa, they also make pens for Conklin and are the U.S. distributor for Delta, Stipula, Napkin and Schmidt.

I managed to snag a blue Monteverde Catalina after it has been sadly discontinued by Monteverde quite a while back. The box is a standard Monteverde box. There is a firm paper sleeve covering the dark green leatherette box, protecting it from scuffs and scratches. Also present is a nice cut-out on the sleeve, displaying the logo beneath.

The box opens upward like most other display boxes to reveal a very handsome pen. The pen is made of a blue acrylic with a good deal of chatoyance (pronounced "sha-TOY-ence") and has 5 white bands running along the cap. The white bands are quite unique and I initially thought they looked strange. Now, they have actually grown on me. The bands are only on the cap, and not the body.

The clip is also quite an interesting design. The top of the clip is normal, but the bottom features a rounded "wheel" of sorts. The wheel does not actually rotate, but it does make clipping the pen to things much easier. For those interested in a physics session, keep reading this paragraph. Otherwise, go on. A wheel reduces the point of contact of the clip with the material you are clipping to. Thus, a reduced point of contact reduces the friction involved in clipping, making it much easier!

The pen uses a small and smooth metal grip section while some people may find uncomfortable. Metal grip sections do have a tendency to get a bit slippery when sweaty. Also, the grip section is small so your hands may end up resting on the cap threads a bit. Thankfully, the cap threads are very smooth and sit flush with the rest of the grip section. There is a small step of 0.5mm from the grip to the barrel. The metal section unscrews from the barrel, so the cap threads are actually on the barrel, not the grip.

The pen includes 2 Monteverde cartridges and a screw-in converter. I really like screw-in type converters as opposed to the regular pop-in kind as they stay firmly on the pen. I've had issues of a converter full of ink popping completely off the section, filling the barrel and causing a mess. The screw-in converters prevent this problem completely. As far as I know, only pens made by Yafa have this type of converter.

The pen comes in at 5.25" (13.4cm) capped, 6.25" (15.6cm) posted, and 4.875" (12.6cm) uncapped. The pen is not very heavy and not very light. I find the pen to be well balanced. The center of mass is about 1.5" from the nib uncapped, and exactly in the center posted.

The pen takes a standard #6 sized nib, so you can swap any other #6 nib into the pen (except Noodler's). The nib and feed are friction fit into the pen and pull straight out with enough force. To swap nibs, just line up the nib and feed and push straight into the pen, being sure to align the notch in the section, with the flat part of the feed.

All in all, I really like this pen. The design was quite off-putting at first, but I quickly started to like it after receiving it. I would highly recommend this pen to anyone looking for a mid-range pen. This is discontinued as of this writing, so grab them while they are still available.
    Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it's business or baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don't love what you're doing and you can't give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You'll be an old man before you know it.

Check out my pen blog at http://inksandpens.com/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to musicman123 For This Useful Post:

CoffeeForTheAdmiral (November 29th, 2021), Jeph (July 3rd, 2015), Smithman (March 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Monteverde Catalina Blue First Impressions

I love the color of this pen, and you do a great job of showing off its features. What has your writing experience been like with the pen?

The only downside I can see is that it has a metal section. I don't like those because they seem slippery to me.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Congrats...great looking pen. The cap bands set it off from the crowd. Enjoy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I love the color of this pen, and you do a great job of showing off its features. What has your writing experience been like with the pen?

The only downside I can see is that it has a metal section. I don't like those because they seem slippery to me.
    I actually haven't gotten to inking this one yet. However, a dry test of the nib seems to be smooth with very little feedback. The slit in the nib is quite open already, so I'm going to assume it is wet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to musicman123 For This Useful Post:

CoffeeForTheAdmiral (November 29th, 2021)