Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Please help: How can I automatically ignore a thread ....

Thanks

Default Re: Please help: How can I automatically ignore a thread ....

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    Both my Swans that I adopted from you are very well, thankyou for asking.

I do have two that I acquired from elsewhere which require attention though. Do you fancy taking some work on?

By the way - if you come across an SM 2/68 (I think) in camouflage. Think of me! Actually I've just found one. Just got to find the money now!
    Ha ha! You mean 58 I think: Marine Bronze; 68 does not appear in my list. I have wanted a 58 for ages. Cryptos has got one - grrr!

Yes pm me about the repairs, no problem (unless it's a Visofil VT). I have one other regular client - a Wyvern man - only Wyverns - so a Swan "punter" would be welcome.

Rgds

Cob
    Sorry - quite correct.

He mentioned on FPN he may let it go.....

However I have found one retail - I can't afford it at present I can PM you the internet address if you like?

Let's just say I have come to appreciate the coloured Swans. Deb had a magnificent L205/62 on the blog.
    Holy mackerel that is beautiful (and yes I looked up the potential price ).
    Last edited by carlc; July 14th, 2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: stupid emoticon

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

You never know, you may find yourself the recipient of an entirely unexpected gift...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    You never know, you may find yourself the recipient of an entirely unexpected gift...
    Well that would stop him buying the one I have found!

By the way - it's your post on FPN that made me think 'Oooh pretty'.

Thanks

Yes pm me about the repairs, no problem (unless it's a Visofil VT). I have one other regular client - a Wyvern man - only Wyverns - so a Swan "punter" would be welcome.

Rgds

Cob
    No - they are the possible Frankenswan from Lawrence O and a leverless 4460. Both need their nibs sorting out and I am not going to attempt that (ask Annie about the repair I tried on my Decimo for the reason why).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Mabie Todd had the best colours, though sometimes Waterman's got close - and in fairness Sheaffer's had a go too,

62 is gorgeous; I did finally get a 47 but sold it to someone we know recently. I would love a 62, but then I would probably sell it on. I like to say I am not a collector, but then I have pens here I really do not feel inclined to sell though i have put up two this week that I really should not be selling; however needs must as they say!

Cob

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Unfortunately mine has a borked clip, so it is grossly sub-standard. My interest in Mabie Todd only extends as far as my ability to acquire them. So, pretty close to zero about now, and I don't see that changing any time soon. This is a large part of why I am turning toward dip pens. In general they are cheaper and more readily available (i.e. I don't have to fight people for them). I cannot compete with collectors, and neither do I have bottomless pockets. That essentially puts me out of the game - especially as it seems prices are rising and Mabie Todds are experiencing a moment in the sun.

Thanks

Rgds

Cob
    No - they are the possible Frankenswan from Lawrence O and a leverless 4460. Both need their nibs sorting out and I am not going to attempt that (ask Annie about the repair I tried on my Decimo for the reason why).
    Well I did a a Parker nib for Old Stoat that he thought was a write-off, and he seems quite pleased. I have also rescued numerous Swan nibs that appear to have been dropped, as I like to say, from the top of Westminster Abbey. No repair necessarily will be achieved, but no repair, no charge.

I shall try to remember to ask Annie of cousre!

C.

Thanks

prices are rising and Mabie Todds are experiencing a moment in the sun.
    Agreed. To be honest I don't ebay anymore but I have checked the going price recently and it is somewhat silly. I now only buy from reputable dealers - but even my experience of that has left me thinking that I should buy off Cob as the two I have from well known pen sites are both in need of Cob's care and attention.

The problem is I haven't been able to make a meet for a long time and it may be quite some time before I can make one yet.

Thanks

Unfortunately mine has a borked clip, so it is grossly sub-standard. My interest in Mabie Todd only extends as far as my ability to acquire them. So, pretty close to zero about now, and I don't see that changing any time soon. This is a large part of why I am turning toward dip pens. In general they are cheaper and more readily available (i.e. I don't have to fight people for them). I cannot compete with collectors, and neither do I have bottomless pockets. That essentially puts me out of the game - especially as it seems prices are rising and Mabie Todds are experiencing a moment in the sun.
    An interesting observation: and I feel (not that I have a stack of them) that Mabie Todd deserves a place in the sun - if only for the nibs; So many of the other major "classic" makers produced nails. Mind you I did have a Parker from the 1920s with a Canadian nib that was a gem. I think that things got "hard" in the 1930s.

But NOT at Mabie Todd, who largely continued to produce beauties up until nearly the end.

And that's not mentioning their elegant designs and wonderful colours...

(Which I just have - again)

Cob

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

carlc (July 14th, 2015)

Thanks

Rgds

Cob
    Well I did a a Parker nib for Old Stoat that he thought was a write-off, and he seems quite pleased. I have also rescued numerous Swan nibs that appear to have been dropped, as I like to say, from the top of Westminster Abbey. No repair necessarily will be achieved, but no repair, no charge.

C.
    Nothing so dramatic! One drips like a runny nose and the other will not write for me. It's been back to the seller but he says it works fine for him. He did offer a refund but I just thought 'Send it to Cob', I just hadn't got round to contacting you.

Thanks

Rgds

Cob

C.
    Nothing so dramatic! One drips like a runny nose and the other will not write for me. It's been back to the seller but he says it works fine for him. He did offer a refund but I just thought 'Send it to Cob', I just hadn't got round to contacting you.
    OK well I'll have a go; if it doesn't work I'll tell you!

You can of course post them to me - in any case I cannot make the next meeting as I am being taken out for a day by a friend -sadly not the friend I would LIKE to take me out (and he's the wrong sex), but then at my age one cannot be too choosy!

C.

C.

Thanks

Has this really morphed into a thread about pens? I congratulate all those involved. The "hijacking" was sorely needed.

That being said, I'll bring us back on topic by answering the original question:

Currently, the only way to automatically ignore a thread is to NOT click on it.

Yes, a button that would make an entire thread disappear from a user's reality would be wonderful, but that dream is not yet possible. No worries. Each user still has the ultimate power: Self-control

Special K, I can certainly see that you are passionate. Passion is a good thing. In your posts, however, please temper that passion by triple thinking any text used after the word "you." Blatant personal attacks and/or insults simply have no place in civil discourse.

I'm not being smug or heavy handed. I'm simply asking for a bit of thoughtfulness. Often the simple act of taking one step backwards and thinking before responding saves us from having to edit or delete our posts later.

I close this thread in the hopes that we can all move on to bigger and better things. Pens, for some reason, come to mind.

Eric

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to eriquito For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogon07 (July 15th, 2015), carlc (July 14th, 2015), Chrissy (July 15th, 2015), Cob (July 14th, 2015), Dreck (July 14th, 2015), Jon Szanto (July 14th, 2015), Marsilius (July 19th, 2015), Special K (July 15th, 2015), top pen (July 14th, 2015), View from the Loft (July 15th, 2015), Waski_the_Squirrel (July 15th, 2015)