Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Twsbi eco

Thanks
    Thanked 3,500 Times in 1,754 Posts

Default Re: Twsbi eco

Got mine: a white F. Inked up with Skrip Green. Back-heavy when posted, and doesn't post well, but I LOVE the nib. For the money, iz good pen.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

This is a nice economical pen. Mine arrived and the review by Dan was well done. I would add that I prefer the metal wrench over the plastic one. The body without metal parts I think I may prefer the Eco to the 540 and 580. I found a complete fill impossible on the pen so had to push air out of the piston and do the last third fill using the same tip in Dan's video review.

I went to Pendleton Brown for a "butterline stub grind extra soft" on the Broad nib. So I can not attest to the stock smoothness but I am pleased with Pendleton's work on the limited run of 24 ECO's he had on his website.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    This is a nice economical pen. Mine arrived and the review by Dan was well done. I would add that I prefer the metal wrench over the plastic one. The body without metal parts I think I may prefer the Eco to the 540 and 580. I found a complete fill impossible on the pen so had to push air out of the piston and do the last third fill using the same tip in Dan's video review.

I went to Pendleton Brown for a "butterline stub grind extra soft" on the Broad nib. So I can not attest to the stock smoothness but I am pleased with Pendleton's work on the limited run of 24 ECO's he had on his website.
    I never see anything on his website eg at present I can see a TWSBI 580Al and nothing else.
    Is this correct?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

[speculation]I'm writing my review of the Eco and something just occurred to me about those ridges that don't let the piston all the way down. They look a lot like ink windows. Maybe a future variant? [\speculation]
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alc3261 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

I never see anything on his website eg at present I can see a TWSBI 580Al and nothing else.
    Is this correct?
    Yes looks like his 24 pens are all sold. He is just selling the 580 nib not the entire pen.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Armstrong - if you like the Safari but not the ink window you could get a rollerball and swap in a fountain pen grip section. Lamy does make a Z24/26 converter if you want to be able to 'prime' the feed piston style.

Every talks about the Safari but not the German Online pens range which includes a large variety at about $10AUD less than the Lamy Safari - which take
    international cartridges or converters and have a more rounded less severe triangular grip section. They mostly come with Iridium Point Nibs in M but other options can be sourced including left hand nibs in separate sections. However they don't have the same ABS plastic nor classic design of the Safari.

It will be interesting to see if TWSBI introduce some more colour options in the future for the ECO.
    Well, I for one would love a purple cap! :-)
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

[QUOTE=manoeuver;140166]I've been rocking a hacked-up G comic nib in mine.

What was the original nib you ordered in your Eco? I ask because apparently the 1.1 stub feed has heavier ink flow than the f,m,b feeds. I'm not sure if the f,m,b feeds would be able to keep up

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RHJ For This Useful Post:

bluesea (February 8th, 2016)

Thanks

What was the original nib you ordered in your Eco? I ask because apparently the 1.1 stub feed has heavier ink flow than the f,m,b feeds. I'm not sure if the f,m,b feeds would be able to keep up

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I got an extra fine originally. Been rocking a 1mm CI in it for a while now, no problem with the feed.

Where'd you hear the feeds were different for the stubs? I'd be surprised if that were true.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

Got mine a few days ago. (white, F nib). Nib is somewhat scratchy (unlike my previous TWSBIs), and the pen is not reliable enough for even normal daily use, as the feed seems to be severely short on surface area and floods even when simply holding the pen nib down. Have others experienced this?
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Got mine a few days ago. (white, F nib). Nib is somewhat scratchy (unlike my previous TWSBIs), and the pen is not reliable enough for even normal daily use, as the feed seems to be severely short on surface area and floods even when simply holding the pen nib down. Have others experienced this?
    I can only speak for myself - I have not had any problems with mine, White Medium nib. You are the first person I have read about to have any issues with this pen, also I believe the only fine nib I have seen mentioned.

Cw
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

There's a couple of people over on FPN who've had a burping problem. Also a couple of people who've had cracking issues

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...-issues/page-3

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ste_S For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (September 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post

Sounds like you should contact Speedy for a replacement. I have two with no issues.
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...-issues/page-3
    There's a couple of people over on FPN who've had a burping problem. Also a couple of people who've had cracking issues
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Good Thinking Inklord.

how do you get the f-c nib out? are they just pressed fit together?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    I got an extra fine originally. Been rocking a 1mm CI in it for a while now, no problem with the feed.

Where'd you hear the feeds were different for the stubs? I'd be surprised if that were true.
    I have two of them in constant use with 1.1mm stub nibs. The feeds for the stub nibs are different than the feeds for regular ball nibs in that they have a higher flow rate. They work wonderfully even with highly saturated Noodler's inks. Maybe you got a stub feed somehow in a pen that should have the ball nib feed? That would be my guess. The other would be that the feed just needs adjustment because it wasn't seated properly at the factory. In my experience these are very reliable writers, so much so I am making them my work horse pens.