Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flex Writing

Thanks

Default Flex Writing

Howdy Folks,

I have a few flex pens and use them mostly for the fun of it. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows of a good resource to learn how to properly write with a flex nib? I know the general idea but I don't have any consistancy with it and would like to at least improve a bit.

Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inky View Post
    Howdy Folks,

I have a few flex pens and use them mostly for the fun of it. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows of a good resource to learn how to properly write with a flex nib? I know the general idea but I don't have any consistancy with it and would like to at least improve a bit. Thanks!
    You took the words out of my mouth. I've been watching Stephen Brown for months now as he writes in "flex mode" and with the same pens I have. And I still do not know how he does it. There must be some technique know-how but where one would find it...???????????
    I'm discovering vintage pens. Oh no!

Thanks

Howdy Folks,

I have a few flex pens and use them mostly for the fun of it. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows of a good resource to learn how to properly write with a flex nib? I know the general idea but I don't have any consistancy with it and would like to at least improve a bit.

Thanks!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One resource online that I use all the time is: www.iampeth.com

I really like the videos, and exemplar pages--and they have all kinds of other great material you can download.
    There's no charge for any of the instructional stuff, as far as I know. Dr. Joe Vitolo is the person doing most of the short videos, and he
    does a good job with clear and simple instruction, I think.

Here's the direct link to the videos: http://www.iampeth.com/videos.php

You can also check out: www.zanerian.com

UPDATE: Joe Vitolo created an app called: "Script in the Copperplate Style: Pointed Pen Calligraphy" : "Interactive book includes video , text, and images. Free app, but can be viewed only on an iPad with IOS 5 or later. " Available now in iTunes.

I've heard good things about this but haven't seen it. Would love to hear reviews if anyone has used it.

And there are so many more, but since you asked about fundamentals, that's a good start. I'm sure others will add to this, too. Hope this helps! Let us know!
    Last edited by Carole; October 14th, 2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added update & video link

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    You took the words out of my mouth. I've been watching Stephen Brown for months now as he writes in "flex mode" and with the same pens I have. And I still do not know how he does it. There must be some technique know-how but where one would find it...???????????
    HA !!!.. lol

Tell me you dont write "Hello" the same way he does now !!!

Love his videos

Thanks

Wow! Thanks Carole! The iampeth website is a welth of information. I think that is just what I'm looking for. I'll let you all know how I make out with it after viewing some of the videos! Of course I left my pen case a home today It really is a Monday folks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Thanks for the links! GClef gave me some pointers that really helped but I really need to practice more.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One resource online that I use all the time is: www.iampeth.com

I really like the videos, and exemplar pages--and they have all kinds of other great material you can download.
    There's no charge for any of the instructional stuff, as far as I know. Dr. Joe Vitolo is the person doing most of the short videos, and he
    does a good job with clear and simple instruction, I think.

Here's the direct link to the videos: http://www.iampeth.com/videos.php

You can also check out: www.zanerian.com

UPDATE: Joe Vitolo created an app called: "Script in the Copperplate Style: Pointed Pen Calligraphy" : "Interactive book includes video , text, and images. Free app, but can be viewed only on an iPad with IOS 5 or later. " Available now in iTunes.

I've heard good things about this but haven't seen it. Would love to hear reviews if anyone has used it.

And there are so many more, but since you asked about fundamentals, that's a good start. I'm sure others will add to this, too. Hope this helps! Let us know!
    Its actually an iBook in the book store part of iTunes. FREE ... man thats amazing

Heres a link to his video on how to use his iBook.

this is great. Thank you so much for sharing this info.
    Last edited by earthdawn; October 15th, 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks

You're very welcome! Look forward to hearing how these work out for everyone. I really need to practice, too.

Maybe Dr. Joe Vitolo can do a guest spot on a show sometime and talk about using fountain pens for pointed pen writing? In fact, I think I saw something in the Iampeth discussion group, calligraphers evaluating Noodlers' pens, and modified Falcons for practice. (I just looked it up for the right name, it's a Yahoo Discussion Group: Ornamental Penmanship) And that wonderful writing sample that Janet Takahashi did for the Edison Spencer pen. Just beautiful. Inspiring!

Thanks

I have been totally absorbed in those videos, they are truly impressive! I think I may need to pick up one of those oblique nib holders sometime.

Thanks

I have been totally absorbed in those videos, they are truly impressive! I think I may need to pick up one of those oblique nib holders sometime.
    Great idea--and I bet you'll be surprised how quickly you adapt to using it. Both John Neal and Paper and Ink Arts have a good selection. Plus the regular ones, of course. And a great virtue of dip pens, to me, is the variety of inks: white ink, sumi ink, metallics, gouache (especially Schminke gold pearl) , twinkling H2Os, and on and on.

Thanks

I have seen some really cool metallic inks. There is a video somewhere of Michael Sull using a gold ink on black paper that I think just looks cool! I will probably end up getting the Peerless Oblique nib holder and a Nikko G to start out. With the holidays coming up I'm considering putting one of Sull's Starter kits on my list. I think if I did that I would opt for the wooden holder. I suppose this will mean I need to find more space for ink in my ink box! This will end up taking away my excuse of "It won't work in a fountain pen so I can't use it."

Thanks

I suppose this will mean I need to find more space for ink in my ink box! This will end up taking away my excuse of "It won't work in a fountain pen so I can't use it."
    Yes! All the inks in the world are belong to you! ..... As I was typing that, I looked at your name, inky, and realized something: /oo\ It is your destiny, InkWalker. You cannot escape!
    Last edited by Carole; October 18th, 2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to add Darth!

Thanks

Ha! That is very true so far, at least with fountain pen ink!

Thanks

Thanks, Carole! I am new to FP but I love seeing the flex writing. I'm looking forward to learning!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penultress View Post
    Thanks, Carole! I am new to FP but I love seeing the flex writing. I'm looking forward to learning!
    You're very welcome! And I found a calligraphy video of gold ink on black cardstock--a whopping nine minutes total! I confess I watched the whole thing. LOL Brilliant.

Heather Victoria Held: Christmas Flourish

2012-10-18 10.46.11 pm.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWdrO...e=results_main

Thanks

That is the video I was thinking of. I thought it was Sull but I guess I was wrong. Either way that is such an amazing job! I wish they bottled skill and sold them in 6-packs!

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Peerless oblique holder and Nikko G nib. I keep looking at the Blackwell Wood holder over at John Neal though, something about just having a screw to adjust for diffrent nib sizes is appealing to me. Realisitically though I don't know if I'd need that feature very often.

Thanks

I wish they bottled skill and sold them in 6-packs!
    Hah! For sure. I know there's a 'calligraphy kegger party' joke there somewhere but my brain can't retrieve it.

So, maybe you've already decided on a purchase-- but ref: the comment about how often you might need to adjust: you may not know that until you try a bunch of different nibs.

Just for fun, I thought I'd do a comparison for you to find out how much adjustment is needed for different nib + holders, but.....I found I don't have any dip nibs. Shocking. That's because I've been using fountain pens to practice both italic and pointed pen (not that I've been practicing much).

I think that Hunt 56 was the nib that I found easiest to use for practice; next was Gillott 404. The list of intro dip nibs usually includes those two, among others. However, dip nibs in the wet noodle class are just crazy, so I think it's fun to get a couple of them, too. Esterbrook 357, which is a vintage dip nib, was one I liked. And I usually buy 2 of each nib, because they don't last a real long time, and sometimes you get a dud that just doesn't work.

I've never used a gold nib dip pen and would love to try one--but that's a whole other territory!

Thanks

Thanks for the advice Carole! I'll have to look up the nibs you mentioned. I haven't quite decided on a holder yet as I'm thinking I may stick a couple on my Christmas wish list. I can stick the nibs on there too!

Thanks

That website is fascinating! I could sit here all day reading it and watching the videos . . .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post
    You're very welcome! And I found a calligraphy video of gold ink on black cardstock--a whopping nine minutes total! I confess I watched the whole thing. LOL Brilliant.

Heather Victoria Held: Christmas Flourish

2012-10-18 10.46.11 pm.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWdrO...e=results_main
    That was awesome! I wish they made (ahem...safe)gold fountain pen ink. I would be all over it!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.