Thread: Anyone in USA capable of removing/reseating an Omas 360 (Modern) Nib?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Anyone in USA capable of removing/reseating an Omas 360 (Modern) Nib?

I recently purchased a brand new Omas 360 from a seller in Spain. Last friday when I received it I immediately noticed an issue which also seemed to affect the flow of the nib, so was not just visual, some shots I took right out of the packaging after tearing the seal with the Omas quality control signature:

I would not be oppose to just exchanging it, but would require paying the shipping cost back to Spain then a new one in replacement.

The retailer responded with :

Hello Karl.

Was talking with the boss and showing him the pics and said thats a problem on some new pen nibs, and it's easy to solve adjusting the tines. He said if you know anyone who knows to adjust it we pay you the cost of it.

Tell me if thats an option viable for you, thank you, and sorry for the inconveniences.

Best Regards.
    So I'm wondering if anyone out there is familiar with Omas and has the tool(s) required for the removal of the modern nib units/collars and re-seating/checking the nib and reinstalling it.

This is the pen model in question (cartridge/converter): http://www.omas.com/creations-boutiq.../360-o03a0050/

I would do it myself, but the nib/feed is in there tight, and seems both the feed and collar are ebonite and would require a skilled hand to tackle.

Additional response shortly after.

Okay, he said its just open the tins, it's an easy adjust. Im sorry for
    those problems.
    I'm not sure how opening the tines would correct for misalignment, also it feels as if they're asking me to self-service the nib, which I believe would void the Omas warranty (but so would an 3rd party service provider who is not authorized, but least they would have less chance of breaking it then I would).

Thanks

Default Re: Anyone in USA capable of removing/reseating an Omas 360 (Modern) Nib?

You might try John Mottishaw at nibs.com They do repairs and are Authorized Dealers for Omas.

Thanks

Default Re: Anyone in USA capable of removing/reseating an Omas 360 (Modern) Nib?

You can also try Kenro, the US distributor for Omas. Unfortunately, they'll charge you $35 to cover shipping. Maybe the seller would be willing to cover that for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    You can also try Kenro, the US distributor for Omas. Unfortunately, they'll charge you $35 to cover shipping. Maybe the seller would be willing to cover that for you.
    Perhaps. (was thinking Dan Smith as he did a 1992 Omas Europa for me, but Kenro is an 'official' distributor.)

Will see if it comes down to that. Was able to wiggle the nib a little to the right to get it lined up with the feed channel. Going to give it an afternoon to see if it hard starts or not after uncapping (ie: not promoting capillary action).

(click to zoom)

I updated them (seller) on where it stands and the plan, he just said to let me know if it doesn't end up as expected so I can let him know how much it will cost to send it off. The seller is the EuropePens here on FPGeeks selling a lot of the Omas at the discounted prices, I got the Blue 360 for the 175 + shipping from that thread. If it works at this point it'll be pleasant considering that it has a sort of springy response (ie: springs back easily on lift, but not firm enough to cause it to spring back against your own hand)

Thanks

8PM, uncapped, immediate write, no difference in flow than shown above (ie: no long period of dry then wet, or wet/dry/wet/dry, same as before sitting it down for 12 hours upright).

Thanks

If the feed is plastic I wonder if it's problem ? A lot of new pens don't have a breather hole yet still work well.

Regards
    Hugh

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

A number of my nibs don't line up exactly with the feed, all write well.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    I looked some of my pens over and several are like this with no ill effects.

Soo Ill ask since I may be blind BUT what is wrong with the feed in the first picture?

Is it not set deep enough into the pen?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    I looked some of my pens over and several are like this with no ill effects.

Soo Ill ask since I may be blind BUT what is wrong with the feed in the first picture?

Is it not set deep enough into the pen?

Off-Centered to the nib enough so that the feed channel didn't line up under the nib slit, and tested with ink where flow wasn't working well until I was able to nudge the nib some so that more of the feed channel was lined up with the nib slit.

I imagine in the ones you guys have where the feed isn't lined up, that the channel is at least somewhat under the nib slit and not away from it completely. (if you note the second picture, the actual feed channel where ink comes down, isn't even in contact with the nib slit).

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    If the feed is plastic I wonder if it's problem ? A lot of new pens don't have a breather hole yet still work well.

Regards
    Hugh

Has to do with the feed channel being lined up with the nib slit. IF it isn't even touching the slit then ink doesn't get transfer over, or poorly so. Not specifically about the nib not being symmetrical to the nib, but rather the feed channel.
    Last edited by KBeezie; July 22nd, 2015 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks

I'm not sure that's such an issue, the prime aim of the channel is to allow air into the pen ( otherwise it airlocks). It appears with plastic feeds this occurs with greater ease than hard rubber, hence nibs without a breather hole. As long as air can enter the pen when needed the ink will flow to the tip. Did you try the pen as it came?

Regards
    Hugh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

It appears with plastic feeds this occurs with greater ease than hard rubber, hence nibs without a breather hole.
    Yes. It's because more complexity can so easily be molded into the plastic feeds. For example, I was working on a Waterman L'Etalon the other day, trying to sort out its flow and start-up issues, and I was verifying the basics of the feed function as part of the exercise. There is a breather channel along the underside of the feed. It accesses the fins, but the fins are walled off from the main channel, so most ink would get into the fins by flowing in the gap between the nib and feed. With airflow in mind, I was concerned by this until I found an exception. One set of fins inside the grip section has direct access to both the breather channel and the main ink channel. Consequently, air should be able to flow up this breather channel and reach the main channel to bubble back into the ink reservoir. IIRC, the Bock feeds are similar.

But now that I look at the photos, it looks like a very simple feed to me, and looks more like hard rubber than plastic, though maybe it is plastic. One could probably just heat it up a little and nudge it over to line up. I don't think the alignment is the cause of any problems, though.
    Last edited by mhosea; July 22nd, 2015 at 06:19 AM.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    It appears with plastic feeds this occurs with greater ease than hard rubber, hence nibs without a breather hole.
    But now that I look at the photos, it looks like a very simple feed to me, and looks more like hard rubber than plastic, though maybe it is plastic. One could probably just heat it up a little and nudge it over to line up. I don't think the alignment is the cause of any problems, though.
    The Omas Feed is indeed ebonite, also the write sample the way it got was from holding both nib and feed and turning gently but firmly a little to the right, which didn't move the feed but did move the nib across the feed rotational wise, which lined it up to the feed channel, that didn't work quite as well, so then I heat set the feed to the nib's new position, not perfect but quite a bit better than initial tests, someone like Dan Smith can take it the rest of the way without having to remove the nib.

Thanks

Of course for the price it should have come perfectly set up !! At the end of the day just poor quality control.

Regards
    Hugh