Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aurora?

Thanks

Default Aurora?

How do people feel about aurora pens? Are they worth the money? Are they "better" Than some of their counter parts? What makes them unique? How is their QC?

Thanks

Default Re: Aurora?

I only own two of them. They are remarkable! I really like my Visconti's, but I think that the QC is much better with the Aurora's. Even the "F" nibs are super smooth with just a tad bit of feedback (which I like with a pen). Will eventually own a few more.
    Visconti: Millionaire, Opera Club Blue and Almond, H.S. Lava steel midi, Michelangelo
    Delta: MOMO Design CF/Rose
    Aurora: Optima 365, Mar Adriatico
    Omas Galileo '93, Year of Light '15, Paragon Burlwood, FAO.
    Montblanc Johannes Brahms, No 32, No 22, 146 Burgundy, 146 LeGrand Platinum, 149 Platinum, WE Leo Tolstoy, Marc Newson, Georges Solti.
    Franklin-Christoph Model 3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Most of their designs I don't get along with, but I do love the Optima and the 88. Both have excellent balance and great Pistons. I've owned both at one time but (regretfully) sold them. Now I only own the 85th Anniversary and it's one of my top 3 pens (out of the 100 or so I own).

I can't speak much to their QC. I know eriquito owns an 88 and randomly found the section had broken off the barrel one day when he uncapped it.

Also, I work for the U.S. distributor of Aurora so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I only wish I worked for the US distributor of Aurora. Still I echo what Dan said. In fact, it's spooky, because my experience mirrors his on every single point.

I love the Aurora Optima. It is one of my top three pens, too. In fact I'm working on a post about the Optima right now.

Also, I had the exact same thing happen to me as Dan reports happened to Eric! One day I opened the pen case to fill an Optima, only to find it had cracked between section and barrel. Just on its own. So, if it's happened to two of us, it might be a known thing. The important thing is they fixed it without question, and pretty quickly, and I consider that excellent service. Nothing else has ever gone wrong on an Optima I've owned.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

I own two vintage 88P. I like the first I found a second (just different size nib). I don't know much at all about their modern pens, but these that I have really hit a sweet spot with me.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

I have about a half dozen or so Auroras, some new and some old. All are quite nice and the only issue is that some of my Cartridge/Converter models made in the 50s & 60s use a cartridge style that is no longer available; however reusing old vintage cartridges and substituting Platinum brand cartridges/converters does work. In newer models I have a small size 88 and a Talentum.

IMHO one of the very best bargains out there right now are the Aurora Archivi Storici series built from parts made during the 50s or 60s. All that is left are the ones based on the Aurora 98. They are cartridge converter pens and use modern Parker or Aurora cartridges/converters. So far I have three of them and they have all been perfect from day one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Wile E Coyote (August 5th, 2015)

Thanks

The reason I ask, is because I'm looking at the Optima 365 as my next "big pen purchase" And I'm honestly debating between that, the Visconti Opera Master, and the 149 90th.

Thanks

Or, even possibly a Nakaya

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

You seem to be picking pens by how much they cost, as the pens you are posting about in numerous threads are all rather different. Except for being pricey, that is.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Seems like you're on a quest for a grail pen!?!
    Do you seek these pens for their unique appearance/feel or to get a new, unique writing experience?
    If for the first reason - any of those brands really deliver in the field of 'aura' (i.e., unique looks and feel factor). But as far as writers go, they are generally no 'better' than many well made, but much less expensive pens (especially from Japan or smaller US makers) when the manufacturer puts a special emphasis on nib tuning and nib configuration... so, don't expect too much of a really unchallenged writing experience coming from the nib-end of any of these luxury pens compared to more modest everyday writers. A well-made $200 pen that went through the experienced hands of a top-notch nibmeister, however...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Aurora's midcentury flagships (88, 88k, 88p, 98) are excellent for their combination of a modern, hooded-nib aesthetic with oldschool nib flexibility. The quality on them got increasingly better with time: the original 88, for example, has a flawed clip and feed design and a bad cap plating, while the 98 is precision manufacturing and good engineering at its finest. Modern Auroras are apparently like most modern Italian pens: a hit or miss.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Modern Auroras are apparently like most modern Italian pens: a hit or miss.
    In my experience the quality of the modern Aurora is first-rate, especially the Optima/88 and above. I would compare that pen (different body style, same nib and filling system) to a Montblanc or a Pelikan Souveran instead. In that you get a solidly built, well-made, well-engineered pen that feels like it will last a lifetime. And the service is outstanding. You don't hear a lot of complaints about Auroras for very good reason. I think they are among the finest made and most reliable pens out there.

Much better than the vintage 88 I had, which was flimsy but fun.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

reprieve (August 5th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Josephtibbetts View Post
    Or, even possibly a Nakaya
    Always chose Nakaya. Always. (If I could afford it I'd never buy another pen brand. Seriously.)
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (September 8th, 2015), reprieve (August 5th, 2015)

Thanks

Jon, I've narrowed my search for right now, down to the pens I've mentioned. This will be my first "High end" pen besides my 91' 149. So I'm just trying to gather as much information as I possibly can before I plop my money down.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Ill have an opinion tomorrow when my first Aurora arrives... and what a beauty it is !!!!

Nakaya is an amazing brand and you can't really go wrong with any of them ... it's just hard for most as the starting price of entry is $450

Thanks

It is a steep entry price, but from what I hear, they are awesome. I am looking heavily at the 365, honestly, because it reminds me of my first "expensive" pen, which was the 2014 Edison fall premier from Goulet. Except this is a piston which I LOVE.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

I've had the Aurora "Asia" on my Grail list since forever...it's just gone on sale over at Chatterly and I have an itchy trigger finger.
    Last edited by VertOlive; August 5th, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Vintage Aurora

Here is a vintage Aurora Superna with a stupidly flexible nib.

2017 San Francisco Pen Show
    August 25-27th, 2017
    Sofitel San Francisco Bay Hotel
    223 Twin Dolphin Drive
    Redwood City Ca, 94065

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 9th, 2015), earthdawn (August 5th, 2015), ethernautrix (September 8th, 2015), fountainpenkid (August 5th, 2015), Laura N (August 5th, 2015), reprieve (August 6th, 2015), VertOlive (August 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Well the Optima 365 is one of the Aurora's I own. I have it in "F" and it writes wonderful. I have only owned it for about 3 weeks, so not enough time to make a good workmanship review. I enjoy a pen with smooth writing but with a bit of feedback, and this has it. It also writes very well and extra fine in reverse (which I can't say about any of the Visconti's except the Millionaire). I don't own any MB's or Nakaya's, so I can't really compare with those. I do own 7 Visconti's, and the only one close in writing smoothness and comfort is the Millionaire (although a bit heavy). I would try a couple different pens at a shop (if it's feasible), or talk to someone like Bryant at Chatterly's. He has been more than helpful with my purchases. Good luck on your decision, and hope you find what you're looking for.
    -John-
    Visconti: Millionaire, Opera Club Blue and Almond, H.S. Lava steel midi, Michelangelo
    Delta: MOMO Design CF/Rose
    Aurora: Optima 365, Mar Adriatico
    Omas Galileo '93, Year of Light '15, Paragon Burlwood, FAO.
    Montblanc Johannes Brahms, No 32, No 22, 146 Burgundy, 146 LeGrand Platinum, 149 Platinum, WE Leo Tolstoy, Marc Newson, Georges Solti.
    Franklin-Christoph Model 3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FP Newbie View Post
    Well the Optima 365 is one of the Aurora's I own. I have it in "F" and it writes wonderful. I have only owned it for about 3 weeks, so not enough time to make a good workmanship review. I enjoy a pen with smooth writing but with a bit of feedback, and this has it. It also writes very well and extra fine in reverse (which I can't say about any of the Visconti's except the Millionaire). I don't own any MB's or Nakaya's, so I can't really compare with those. I do own 7 Visconti's, and the only one close in writing smoothness and comfort is the Millionaire (although a bit heavy). I would try a couple different pens at a shop (if it's feasible), or talk to someone like Bryant at Chatterly's. He has been more than helpful with my purchases. Good luck on your decision, and hope you find what you're looking for.
    -John-
    The nearest "Pen shop" Is a Mont Blanc botique, so... xD Not going there. I went in there once and I got looked at like "Who let the riff raff in here?" Despite the fact I had 4 grand in my pocket to buy a pen.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josephtibbetts For This Useful Post:

FP Newbie (August 6th, 2015), fqgouvea (August 6th, 2015)