Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is your costliest FP disappointment ?

Thanks

Default Re: What is your costliest FP disappointment ?

Montblanc 146. It was a gift for a special occasion. It leaked and skipped. The leaking was fixed but it never wrote the way I wanted it to. Not quite wet or smooth enough for me. My vintage Sheaffers and Parkers were way better and I don't worry about losing a big ticket item. I don't resell it because it was a gift but I don't plan on using it regularly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to coase For This Useful Post:

lowks (November 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

I wouldn't say it's costly but from all my pens, this is the only one that disappointed me - the faber castell ondoro, I got one with a broad nib and it writes really nice, but then the cap doesn't seal well, so the nib dries out when not used for say a day, it's a hard starter and you have to coax the ink out for it to write again, I think they should design a better cap seal to remedy this issue

Thanks

Not so much the Pen but the nib. The EF nib on my Pelikan M200. Everyone was raving about the Pelikan EF nib on another forum so I bought one. Well, no matter what did it just scratched the paper. So, I thought what the hell.....I wrote several words on a sheet of 1200 Grit wet and Dry. Then smoothed it off with 2400 to 12000 Grit paper and WOW! OK, not an EF anymore but a great Medium stub I use for work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ian1964 View Post
    Not so much the Pen but the nib. The EF nib on my Pelikan M200. Everyone was raving about the Pelikan EF nib on another forum so I bought one. Well, no matter what did it just scratched the paper. So, I thought what the hell.....I wrote several words on a sheet of 1200 Grit wet and Dry. Then smoothed it off with 2400 to 12000 Grit paper and WOW! OK, not an EF anymore but a great Medium stub I use for work.
    Ended well enough

Thanks

Funny I had exactly the same experience with a Fine M200. Scratchy, dry wouldn't really write. I had to mess around with that pen for hours before I managed to get it to write properly and had to use sheets from 4000-12000 grit I ended up with a stub, with a slightly left oblique nib on it. Writes well now however it has scared me off buying another Pelikan any time soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Did you retain any tipping material after you smooth it?
    I smooth a lot of nibs and it's rare that I ended up with a Medium starting from an EF unless I grind it to a... well, stub.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

No Penwash...no tipping left. It is a bit like the Parsons Itallix pen I got from Massdrop now. My nib resembles an Itallic or Stub now.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

No Penwash...no tipping left. It is a bit like the Parsons Itallix pen I got from Massdrop now. My nib resembles an Itallic or Stub now.
    That makes more sense.
    A nib without any tipping material will eventually be worn out by using it on paper. It'll take longer for steel nibs, and sooner for gold ones.
    That's why re-tipping services exist.

Having said that, you may decide not to pay for re-tipping for a couple of reasons (that I can think of): You may plan to use the nib sparingly, or you don't feel the nib is worthwhile to pay for its re-tipping, or whatever. Re-tipping is not a must, it's just an option to consider.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

ian1964 (February 18th, 2016), zygote (February 20th, 2016)

Thanks

I had an azure Vacumatic that I won off eBay around 2003. The thing leaked regularly. It sat in the drawer until I decided to clean out and just threw it away. I didn't know about getting pens repaired hence my idiotic move.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mister5 View Post
    I had an azure Vacumatic that I won off eBay around 2003. The thing leaked regularly. It sat in the drawer until I decided to clean out and just threw it away. I didn't know about getting pens repaired hence my idiotic move.
    Ugh, how much did you had to pay for it?

Thanks

The mosquito filler on my Typhoon just never worked right for me. Great pen though
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

A Visconti Manhattan in blue. Loved the pen and it wrote like a dream but then ink leaked between the celluloid and filler discoloring it. Sent it back and they returned it with no repair so I sold it as I'd rather not have to look at it.
    Be Here Now

Thanks

It's been so long I don't recall. Back then I'm guessing around $50. My latest debacle with a Vacumatic is getting one repaired and then dropping it nib down on a cement floor later that week.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mister5 View Post
    It's been so long I don't recall. Back then I'm guessing around $50. My latest debacle with a Vacumatic is getting one repaired and then dropping it nib down on a cement floor later that week.
    Hurts even reading that!