View Poll Results: Which colours would you like to see next?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silver grey with silver particles

3 30.00%
  • Purple with silver particles

4 40.00%
  • Bright green with gold particles

1 10.00%
  • Mid Green with gold particles

4 40.00%
  • Orange with gold particles

5 50.00%
  • Mid Red with silver particles

0 0%
  • Bright red with gold particles

1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamine announce their 10 new Shimmertastic Inks!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: Diamine announce their 10 new Shimmertastic Inks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    and without it the inks themselves are pedestrian.
    In what sense? I regard the original Bleu Ocean and Rouge Hematite as a couple of my favorite inks of all time in terms of performance. I'm not all that fond of the color of Bleu Ocean (it is rather boring in that sense), but even the color of Rouge Hematite is pretty fantastic. You can go a long way without finding a bright red that actually stays that bright when it dries on the page. Most reds look so promising when they go down but turn dull when they dry. There are times when I wish Rouge Hematite didn't have any sheen because the brownish sheen obscures the red color where it impinges.
    --
    Mike

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 21st, 2015), Cookies (August 21st, 2015), inklord (August 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    I'm feeling like we are being bullied by the marketers. I don't think the J. Herbin inks are all that fantastic. The gold piles up, spreads irregularly and without it the inks themselves are pedestrian. (I haven't tried the latest, so maybe they're getting better.) I use a lot of Diamine inks and don't feel the need for gold shimmertastic effects in my writing. Just one man's opinion.
    I agree. Diamine copyists would have seen Herbin's development back at the start, waited a while, consulted a few daft focus groups or users and replicated the idea.

I bought the Stormy Grey but quickly gave up using it. Same with the others, after trying samples. I'm not a huge fan of Diamine inks anyway; most are pedestrian (a handful are good), and adding glitter won't change that. I can just buy a glitter gel pen if I needed that kind of effect. Or add artists' metals to standard ink.
    Hopefully this trend will go away quickly. And that name: "Shimmertastic" . What a shocker.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Each bottle comes with a miniature plumber's drain auger for your feed.

Fred
    I'm betting we see the first lot of reviews written with lower-end pens. Unless I see reviews written using a top quality or vintage pen I won't believe that the reviewers fully trust the ink.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

sharmon202 (August 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Fred
    I haven't found that I needed one. They all clean out of my pens easily.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Well, if somebody wants to send me samples, I'll review them in a Montblanc 149.
    --
    Mike

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 21st, 2015), Jon Szanto (August 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    Hopefully this trend will go away quickly.
    Well, hey... I mean, no one is *forced* to buy and use it! I know a lot of people who do, and I just enjoy it for the occasional addressing of an envelope, or signing a card on a special occasion. I like options in life, and that's all these are.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (September 4th, 2015), Cookies (August 21st, 2015)

Thanks

heh. probably one of the few ways to make me contemplate wanting to use a black ink

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    It's turning into a "My Little Pony" world.
    Twinkle, twinkle little inkdrop... I'm ready to decant some of my wife's Stormy Grey off the gold sludge at the bottom of the bottle - the dark grey is actually great! (Right now I just fill my pens off the top without prior shaking. Funny enough, I think she's not using the sparkles either...)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

YAYAYAYAY!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Fred
    I'm betting we see the first lot of reviews written with lower-end pens. Unless I see reviews written using a top quality or vintage pen I won't believe that the reviewers fully trust the ink.
    I use my current "shimmer" inks (the J. Hebrin) in every damn pen I own including a $1,200 Nakaya. I'll use these as well. In fact I'm looking forward to these in my vintage full flex music nib. That will be amazing for Xmas cards! I'm not sure why people baby pens so much, they were made for ink, and in my experience, with rare exception, they work with INK.
    ---

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 21st, 2015), Cookies (August 21st, 2015), Neo (August 20th, 2015)

Thanks

If ya don't like inks with sheen, or inks with sparkly bits, don't buy them. I'm really glad those of us who like using these sorts of inks will have more choices, especially finally silver. I'm not really a fan of gold, much prefer silver so this is great news for me.
    ---

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (September 4th, 2015), Chrissy (August 21st, 2015), Crazyorange (August 20th, 2015), reprieve (August 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    If ya don't like inks with sheen, or inks with sparkly bits, don't buy them.
    Errrr, why are you so uptight about people critiquing or disliking glitter inks? So what if some do? We don't all have the same tastes.
    I think this is a gimmick, and pretty silly, and I'll say so. I know it won't change people's opinions, and isn't intended to do so. It's just one point of view. It also doesn't mean I don't think they will sell. Someone will always buy stuff like this.

So thanks for the "advice" - I like sheen, dislike glitter, so I won't be. In the same vein, I'm very happy for you & your Xmas cards.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

inklord (August 24th, 2015), Neo (August 20th, 2015), Video11 (August 22nd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Hopefully this trend will go away quickly.
    Well, hey... I mean, no one is *forced* to buy and use it! I know a lot of people who do, and I just enjoy it for the occasional addressing of an envelope, or signing a card on a special occasion. I like options in life, and that's all these are.
    Well Jon, thanks for the homily. I don't recall suggesting that it is compulsory to buy them. It's just my opinion. We're all allowed to have them, and to state them, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Eaaasy does it. It's just ink.

I wonder if these glitter inks were on the ink table at the DC show? I should've taken the time to look.

Fred

Thanks

There has simply been a rather annoying tendency of late for folks to label anything they aren't a fan of a 'fad' they hope passes soon. There are truly hundreds of ink options without a hint of glitter for those who dislike it. Almost certainly most ink release from here out won't have it either. I just get tired of the assumption that because something doesn't work for you it doesn't work for anyone and is a fad that should pass. I don't like black inks but I don't criticise the release of new ones, I just don't buy the boring stuff.

The comments about 'my little pony' and fads. I've just had enough of that today. I'm glad to see new interesting things done with ink as otherwise it is pretty much unchanged for 100 years. Let us enjoy our sparkly fun without being equated with children.
    Last edited by tandaina; August 20th, 2015 at 08:34 PM.
    ---

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (September 4th, 2015), Cookies (August 21st, 2015), Crazyorange (August 21st, 2015), dr.grace (August 21st, 2015)

Thanks

I'm both excited and dismayed about Diamine introducing these inks.

Excited because I love the 4 J. Herbin ones and use the Blue, Grey & Emerald for everyday writing and Rouge for fun. I use them in all my pens and find the ink flushes put really easily - easier than many other inks. So more of these inks is great IMHO.

I am dismayed because I have so much ink - several lifetimes worth - and I was hoping I could stop buying it for a couple of years at least. But, that looks far less likely now.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newjelan For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (August 26th, 2015), Chrissy (August 21st, 2015)

Thanks

Well Jon, thanks for the homily. I don't recall suggesting that it is compulsory to buy them. It's just my opinion. We're all allowed to have them, and to state them, right?
    C'mon, be fair. I wasn't castigating you, or anyone, but you *did* say that you wished the fad would pass, which I take to mean that you hope these inks cease production or something. All I was doing - and of course, just another opinion - was to point out that there are a lot of people who seem to really like this stuff. If it floats their boat, I'm happy for them. I think some of the fad stuff is nuts (I've never been a total fanboi of Noodlers), and I'll probably never own one of the Lamy Safaris, but I sure as heck don't mind other people liking and having them.

That's all, nothing more. <3
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 21st, 2015), Cookies (August 21st, 2015), Crazyorange (August 21st, 2015), dr.grace (August 21st, 2015), fountainpenkid (August 26th, 2015), inklord (August 24th, 2015), reprieve (August 21st, 2015), xryx (September 11th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

In my position it's hard enough trying to get my hands on the ordinary inks... any of them... but I have rather enjoyed the sparkly reviews that show them off in all their glory. And I like the reviews that show all the sheeny goodness too. The recent Chivor Emerald was very entertaining. I wish I could try them really. With that possibility being nothing more than a pipe dream, I rely on the good people here to do the trying for me! 'sides which, I don't have any pens that would do them justice. You guy/gals do. So, have at it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    The comments about 'my little pony' and fads. I've just had enough of that today. I'm glad to see new interesting things done with ink as otherwise it is pretty much unchanged for 100 years. Let us enjoy our sparkly fun without being equated with children.
    Hon, you yourself are no stranger to putting strong opinions in print, so be fair. If you'll note, I posted two sentiments: one, a tongue-in-cheek poke at glitter and ponies, and another, suggesting people should be open to many options. Be certain you are getting the entire picture, and take into account those of us who make these remarks - sometimes with good humor, sometimes with more serious intent - accordingly.

I rarely say it, but at this point we all need to lighten up and have a bit of a smile. As the wise singer said: "Don't worry, be happy!"

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Utterly unrelated video. I have no idea who any of these people are, but it was still pretty funny.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (August 21st, 2015), dr.grace (August 21st, 2015), fountainpenkid (August 26th, 2015), Jon Szanto (August 21st, 2015), Lady Onogaro (August 21st, 2015), Neo (August 21st, 2015), reprieve (August 21st, 2015)