View Poll Results: Which colours would you like to see next?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silver grey with silver particles

3 30.00%
  • Purple with silver particles

4 40.00%
  • Bright green with gold particles

1 10.00%
  • Mid Green with gold particles

4 40.00%
  • Orange with gold particles

5 50.00%
  • Mid Red with silver particles

0 0%
  • Bright red with gold particles

1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamine announce their 10 new Shimmertastic Inks!!!!

Thanks

Default Re: Diamine announce their 10 new Shimmertastic Inks!!!!

Oh dear! If I spill one of my favourite inks, maybe I can justify a new ink order!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 21st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    Utterly unrelated video. I have no idea who any of these people are, but it was still pretty funny.
    BLR, the creators of those videos, have taken internet commentary (and mockery) all the way into the realm of high art. Brilliant stuff.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

The one I like and have used occasionally, is the Shimmering Seas blue-black/gold. It's really quite classy.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks
    Thanked 10,464 Times in 4,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post

I'm betting we see the first lot of reviews written with lower-end pens. Unless I see reviews written using a top quality or vintage pen I won't believe that the reviewers fully trust the ink.
    I use my current "shimmer" inks (the J. Hebrin) in every damn pen I own including a $1,200 Nakaya. I'll use these as well. In fact I'm looking forward to these in my vintage full flex music nib. That will be amazing for Xmas cards! I'm not sure why people baby pens so much, they were made for ink, and in my experience, with rare exception, they work with INK.
    Plus 1 for what tandaina said.

Some comments on this thread have challenged my FPG ignore list, because when they are quoted by others I can see them. Granted, I can still ignore them and usually do, but I would just like to say that I will be posting some reviews of these inks and I will use any darn pen I like when I'm writing them. I certainly don't need to cater for someone who has confirmed and I quote; "I never take much notice of other peoples' written exemplars/reviews either." Why would I?

I have had several of these inks in some of my pens for many months, and have written with them intermittently during that time, on many different papers. I have kept some pens filled and/or refilled with these inks and I haven't always cleaned them out on refilling, when I have just refilled them with the same colour. I have deliberately used the inks in different types of pens. For example pens like my Pilot CH demonstrators that have nibs and feeds that I can remove and separate, so I can clearly see with or without a loupe whether there are any particles left on the feed or not. And pens that can't have their nibs and feeds removed like my Sheaffer Targa Classic that has had either this green or gold ink in it for a long time. Plus my Parker Sonnet Moonbeam that I like to have filled with the grey. These are by no means top quality pens, like Nakayas, but I don't have any Nakayas. I have used these inks in my Montblanc Boheme too, because I wanted to try them out in cartridge form.

When I post my reviews, they will be based on my opinions after having tested the ink for a long time. If you care to read or look at them I hope you will see what these inks look like in my pens, using my paper, written in my house, in British weather, and cleaned out with Southern water that can be hard. They will also be scanned or photographed onto my computer that may or may not make them look different to how they look on yours.

Your view may vary and if it didn't we would all have the same pens and use the same ink. Thankfully, we don't as we are all individuals.
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 21st, 2015 at 03:33 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

alc3261 (August 21st, 2015), Cookies (August 21st, 2015), dr.grace (August 22nd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Is "Shimmertastic" a translation? Or did someone in marketing actually choose that word originally in English?
    I assume it was chosen originally in English

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Well, if somebody wants to send me samples, I'll review them in a Montblanc 149.
    I could find out if I can take you up on that offer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    The one I like and have used occasionally, is the Shimmering Seas blue-black/gold. It's really quite classy.
    That is one of my favourites too. But I also like Sparkling Shadows grey and gold.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

Some comments on this thread have challenged my FPG ignore list, because when they are quoted by others I can see them. Granted, I can still ignore them and usually do, but I would just like to say that I will be posting some reviews of these inks and I will use any darn pen I like when I'm writing them. I certainly don't need to cater for someone who has confirmed and I quote; "I never take much notice of other peoples' written exemplars/reviews either." Why would I?

If I may say a couple of things here.

Firstly, I did go and read that linked post. The way I interpreted it though was as saying that an ink review is really a "Hey, look at this, and what it can do" kind of thing, rather than anything especially definitive. I can dig that. Given the myriad variables involved - people, pens, computer screens, whether there is an 'R' in the month, sunspots and so on - I tend to view ink reviews as a sort of doorway that has been left temptingly ajar. If it's tempting enough then the ink may go on the purchase list (obviously this is theoretical because I haven't actually got such a list, but there it is). I try to see past the way things are worded to the intent, which is not always that easy. I do try though.

Secondly, and this is the more serious of these two points, I must consider myself a bit of a failure as I haven't managed to get on anyone's 'Ignore List' (as far as I know). I mean, how difficult can it be, hmmm? What am I doing wrong?

[IMG]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post

If I may say a couple of things here.

Firstly, I did go and read that linked post. The way I interpreted it though was as saying that an ink review is really a "Hey, look at this, and what it can do" kind of thing, rather than anything especially definitive. I can dig that. Given the myriad variables involved - people, pens, computer screens, whether there is an 'R' in the month, sunspots and so on - I tend to view ink reviews as a sort of doorway that has been left temptingly ajar. If it's tempting enough then the ink may go on the purchase list (obviously this is theoretical because I haven't actually got such a list, but there it is). I try to see past the way things are worded to the intent, which is not always that easy. I do try though.

Secondly, and this is the more serious of these two points, I must consider myself a bit of a failure as I haven't managed to get on anyone's 'Ignore List' (as far as I know). I mean, how difficult can it be, hmmm? What am I doing wrong?
    I only showed the post as a whole post to illustrate that the comment I selected and quoted was made in it. The rest of the post was in the vein of "look at this and what it can do." But I didn't like to quote a portion of the post without showing the post it came from. That was all.

I don't think you made it onto anyone's ignore list Cryptos, you're not a failure and you're too nice.

Thanks

I would just like to make an additional comment about Diamine allegedly copying J. Herbin by producing these inks, and say that it was actually the launch of the 150th Anniversary inks that delayed the shimmer inks project, as it is difficult to launch anniversary inks after the anniversary date.

Thanks

Wow, this thread has taken me by surprise - we don't often see such apparently heated comments over here, we're normally much more live and let live.

Anyway, my tuppence worth.

Of the Herbin series, the only one that has "grabbed" me is the Emerald of Chivor, and that's more because of the is it blue, is it green, and the sheen that it seems to display. So yes, I will be buying a bottle of it later this year.

And then Diamine go and announce this series.

Well great - it's good to see a British company in the pen related world doing well at them moment, given the demise of CS and the stagnation of Onoto. And I'll wait and look at the reviews before doing anything.

There are some good Diamine inks, and some that just do nothing for me - but then, that applies to all ink manufacturers.

Chrissy, The Good Captain - are we likely to see reviews of these inks and will they be in stock in time for me to purchase (if any of them are stunning enough to make me break my ink buying embargo for the second time this year) at the London show?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to View from the Loft For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Woooooooooow. Drama bomb!!

All I want to say is that I am pretty darn excited about these Diamine inks. I enjoy having different inks with different properties that can give different expressions to my writing. Besides this is probably as closest to shimmery, glittery stuff as I get. Much to many dismay! So I can't wait to see these inks hit the shelves. It sounds like i may get a huge ink haul for the holidays.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TerraNoir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by View from the Loft View Post
    Wow, this thread has taken me by surprise - we don't often see such apparently heated comments over here, we're normally much more live and let live....
    This forum is more tolerant, yes, but only of rudeness. This is the only forum where I have to use the block function. I am not sure which threads you have been reading, but I am glad that you are happy here.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,480 Times in 1,744 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post

I can just buy a glitter gel pen if I needed that kind of effect. Or add artists' metals to standard ink.
    I actually did run some ink-speriments with artists' metals, and reached the same conclusion.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 21st, 2015), Jon Szanto (August 21st, 2015), Neo (August 21st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,480 Times in 1,744 Posts

For whatever bizarre reason, I cannot edit my above post to add: the JH shimmer inks are obviously compounded with much finer glitter particles than are available to me. I was able to add shimmer, but it LOOKED like a Sakura Gelly Roll so I gave up on it. Stormy Gray has shimmer. I came up with glitter.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

I'm really looking forward to the Blue Pearl and Blue Lightning. I hope the silver really pops! I should probably start looking for a BBB nib for my M805...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by View from the Loft View Post
    Wow, this thread has taken me by surprise - we don't often see such apparently heated comments over here, we're normally much more live and let live.

Anyway, my tuppence worth.

Of the Herbin series, the only one that has "grabbed" me is the Emerald of Chivor, and that's more because of the is it blue, is it green, and the sheen that it seems to display. So yes, I will be buying a bottle of it later this year.

And then Diamine go and announce this series.

Well great - it's good to see a British company in the pen related world doing well at them moment, given the demise of CS and the stagnation of Onoto. And I'll wait and look at the reviews before doing anything.

There are some good Diamine inks, and some that just do nothing for me - but then, that applies to all ink manufacturers.

Chrissy, The Good Captain - are we likely to see reviews of these inks and will they be in stock in time for me to purchase (if any of them are stunning enough to make me break my ink buying embargo for the second time this year) at the London show?
    I can confirm that I have already written some reviews and am merely awaiting permission from Diamine before I post them. I am sorry but I really don't know if they will be in stock in time for you to purchase at the London Pen Show. It would be great if they were.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the Blue Pearl and Blue Lightning. I hope the silver really pops! I should probably start looking for a BBB nib for my M805...
    I think the silver really pops in both of those blues. I haven't tried either of them with a BBB nib though......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    For whatever bizarre reason, I cannot edit my above post to add: the JH shimmer inks are obviously compounded with much finer glitter particles than are available to me. I was able to add shimmer, but it LOOKED like a Sakura Gelly Roll so I gave up on it. Stormy Gray has shimmer. I came up with glitter.
    This is an interesting one. I think what's happened is that ink companies have found a way of adding superfine particles to ink. I have some liquid gold paints with particles in, but they need a heck of a lot more shaking up to disperse them than these inks do. Yes there is definitely a difference between shimmer and glitter