Thread: Hello from Phoenix, and small plea

Thanks

Default Hello from Phoenix, and small plea

Hello Everyone!

I have not been on the FP Geeks board before. I have been "in the hobby" for some years, ever since I got a Pilot Varsity from a small bookstore, then started to get several Waterman Phileases, because that's the only pen I could get reliably from the office supply store near where I lived. A few years ago, I branched out and now have a variety of new and vintage pens.

I am a writer by aspiration, but I also calligraph-- little did I know that the first fountain pens I had were actually Sheaffer NoNonsense in a calligraphy set or Osmiroids. I had no idea the pens I used for calligraphy also came in a form that was rather convenient to write with. I graduated high school in 1995, so back in those days, we still had to do a lot of in-class writing, and I may be the only one in the history of the world who wants to go back in time, back to school, just so I can write more with fountain pens.

I live in Goodyear, Arizona, a suburb of Phoenix. I have a wife, two stepsons, and a son that just turned 13 months old, so this has curtailed my budget for pens. I mostly like old Sheaffers and pens under $100, though every now and then a more costly model turns my head.

Over the past weekend I looked at something I'd written four years ago with a pen that ended up stolen. My car's engine was overheating so I pulled off of the freeway and limped into the first side street I could find. I popped the hood and looked at the radiator, and figured I could get a gas station for some water to cool it down so I could get it somewhere. In my panic, I left the windows rolled down, and my bag and the pens in it were gone. I lost a journal and some books, but also a black Lamy Safari, a Kaweco Sport Ice, a Kaweco Al-Sport, a Sheaffer TM Crest (whatever they called the green) and a two-pen discontinued leather case from Levenger, initialed CLS, containing a Sheaffer Defender, Marine Green Striated, and a Sheaffer Balance from about 1930.

I doubt I'll see any of them, but the Balance was distinct. It had a single-tone nib with a serial number (3535609) and was a "convertible" model which could turn into a desk pen. It had a part at the back that unscrewed like a blind cap, where the quill of a desk pen could screw in. Pictures of pen and nib are here:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/...6848973d_b.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3289/...6e9bdb59_b.jpg

If anyone sees this, could they drop me a line? I know four years is a long shot, but when I looked over those lines and thought about the pen, I figure it can't hurt to ask. I have checked Ebay since, but I couldn't monitor Ebay forever!

And if anyone's in the Phoenix area, there is more than one fountain pen person roaming around.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks

Welcome to us

Sent from my U8860

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Welcome to the dark side. Would you like a tissue?

I'll keep an eye out for the pen as long as I can stand to be without it.

3076_3099_3_thumbnail.jpg
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

El Mocho, hello and welcome to the FPG forum.
    Hope you are eventually re-united with your pens.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Welcome. A sad story indeed

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

First of all hello and welcome abroad.

That is a sad story, remain optimistic that you and your pens are reunited.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

Welcome! Sorry to hear about the pen loss. It happens to all of us who love our pen enough to bring them everywhere.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Nice looking vintage sheaffer.