Thread: Learning Copper Plate

Thanks

Default Learning Copper Plate

I take my first steps into a much larger world....

I am starting to study copper plate under Joe Vitolo. I'm just waiting on my oblique holder and ink to come in The nibs arrives today. Wish me luck!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Josephtibbetts For This Useful Post:

TheInkluminati (September 2nd, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Learning Copper Plate

Perhaps under is too strong a word, with the guidence of. Is probably better.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Be sure to take pics of your first attempts so you can see your improvement over time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    Be sure to take pics of your first attempts so you can see your improvement over time.
    I will Dan, I'm waiting on my holder to come in.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Josephtibbetts For This Useful Post:

dannzeman (September 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Hi Joseph,
    I too am following your path and have been using Dr. Vitolo's tutorials on the IAMPTH website. I found the pen holders a bit too dear so I made my own. I will post a picture later today of my pen collection and my present practice sheets. I started off doing American roundhand but decided to go back to the traditional form of Engrossers scriptx so that I had a good basic. I can change and vary it after I get proficient at the basic. The most interesting part of this exercise is the collection of some good nibs. I have quite a collection now and probably too big to detail. The best nib I have is a Gillott 604EF but they are rare and expensive. I also have a few good Spencerian and Esterbrooks. But the nibs I like for learning and which are highly recommended are the Zebra G and the Nikko G. Both give the fine hairlines and the shaded downstrokes which are necessary in calligraphy. Also they are very easy to use and smooth on the paper.
    Post some of your progress and it is good to half a fellow member following the same path. There is another one I know of. Cryptos.
    “When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

Thanks

Here is a picture of some of my pen holders. I in fact have 13 and I bought some blanks (the short ones) The other long ones I purchased are cheap art paint brush set (Mont Marte) and cut them down and then made some oblique holders from some brass sheeting. Cut a slit at an angle into the end of the holder and glued in the oblique brass sitting. Painted and and sealed and voila. There is a good Youtube clip by Yoke Pen Co where he explains how to make the obliques. Very simple.
    My nib collection is getting quite large and I bought some from Ebay and various other sources.
    Here is a list of some of my favoured ones: 1. Joseph Gillott 604 EF, 303 EF. Nikkopen G, John Mitchell 078 Commercial, John Mitchell 138 EF, Spencarian No. 5 and No. 2 Counting House Old. Also a Perry No. 104 EF is another great nib I have.
    As for inks I bought some Walnut crystals and make my own. Also have some Higgins Eternal. Both excellent inks for dip pens. I use Rhodia paper but only use a good grade of printer paper for practice.
    As for the writing here it is. I used a Nikko G for this writing. As you can see I have a long way to come but have noticed some improvement. Trouble is when you go slow while learning the shapes etc it is hard to get even straight lines. That seems to come when your speed increases.
    Hope some of this is interesting
    Dip pens resized.jpgLatest writing sample resized.jpg
    “When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Laurie For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (September 15th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Hi Joseph,
    I too am following your path and have been using Dr. Vitolo's tutorials on the IAMPTH website. I found the pen holders a bit too dear so I made my own. I will post a picture later today of my pen collection and my present practice sheets. I started off doing American roundhand but decided to go back to the traditional form of Engrossers scriptx so that I had a good basic. I can change and vary it after I get proficient at the basic. The most interesting part of this exercise is the collection of some good nibs. I have quite a collection now and probably too big to detail. The best nib I have is a Gillott 604EF but they are rare and expensive. I also have a few good Spencerian and Esterbrooks. But the nibs I like for learning and which are highly recommended are the Zebra G and the Nikko G. Both give the fine hairlines and the shaded downstrokes which are necessary in calligraphy. Also they are very easy to use and smooth on the paper.
    Post some of your progress and it is good to half a fellow member following the same path. There is another one I know of. Cryptos.
    I will And thank you. I have 10 lenoard principal nibs in that order, plus another 20-30 40's esterbrook nibs in bound. So I have my choice of nibs. And I will, I've been talk to Joe a lot. It amazes me how willing he is to sit there for hours and just talk a newby threw everything they need to know.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Josephtibbetts For This Useful Post:

Laurie (September 8th, 2015)

Thanks

Just got all of my supplies just before I left for work, so when I get home I'm going to mix my ink, prep my nibs and try it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Here is a picture of some of my pen holders. I in fact have 13 and I bought some blanks (the short ones) The other long ones I purchased are cheap art paint brush set (Mont Marte) and cut them down and then made some oblique holders from some brass sheeting. Cut a slit at an angle into the end of the holder and glued in the oblique brass sitting. Painted and and sealed and voila. There is a good Youtube clip by Yoke Pen Co where he explains how to make the obliques. Very simple.
    My nib collection is getting quite large and I bought some from Ebay and various other sources.
    Here is a list of some of my favoured ones: 1. Joseph Gillott 604 EF, 303 EF. Nikkopen G, John Mitchell 078 Commercial, John Mitchell 138 EF, Spencarian No. 5 and No. 2 Counting House Old. Also a Perry No. 104 EF is another great nib I have.
    As for inks I bought some Walnut crystals and make my own. Also have some Higgins Eternal. Both excellent inks for dip pens. I use Rhodia paper but only use a good grade of printer paper for practice.
    As for the writing here it is. I used a Nikko G for this writing. As you can see I have a long way to come but have noticed some improvement. Trouble is when you go slow while learning the shapes etc it is hard to get even straight lines. That seems to come when your speed increases.
    Hope some of this is interesting
    Dip pens resized.jpgLatest writing sample resized.jpg

Laurie, you are getting really good at this! I am impressed and more than a little envious of your skills.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Good job, Laurie. You have the patience I lack for this sort of thing. It's clearly paying off for you.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Laurie,

These just arrived in the post today (images from internet for illustration only)

[IMG]

J.B.Mallat Ronde 205

[IMG]

Cie Francaise Sermajor No.5

I thought I would like to have a few broader edges in my small collection, although the Sermajor looks like a right-foot oblique. It will be interesting to have a go with these when I get home!

Thanks

Here's hoping tonight I can find the energy to get up and prep my nibs when I get home.

Thanks

So, how often do you get to sit down and chat with Dr Vitolo? Must be great having access to someone of that calibre. Over here there aren't even any enthusiast clubs, let alone any teachers. Talis vita est.

Thanks

We just talk via Facebook almost every day. And it is great, knowing I can message him almost any time with a question and he'll more than likely know the answer.

Thanks

Seems like you singularly privileged then. Lucky you. Perhaps you would like to post some pictures of your progress, like Laurie does?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptos View Post
    Seems like you singularly privileged then. Lucky you. Perhaps you would like to post some pictures of your progress, like Laurie does?

I wouldn't say singularly. He'll do it for anyone who asks him.

Thanks

Congratulations on starting your journey into copperplate calligraphy! Joe Vitolo is a great Snow Rider 3D resource for learning and I'm sure you'll learn a lot from him. Remember to be patient with yourself and enjoy the process. Good luck with your new materials and happy practicing!