Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ink for work, professional and beautiful but rebellious, are you a colour subversive?

Thanks

Default Ink for work, professional and beautiful but rebellious, are you a colour subversive?

I have been a FP user all my life (I am 50ish) but it only really became a hobby a couple of years ago so up until that point it was cheap FP's and Parker Quink in blue and black. I tend to take quite a lot of notes at work and also I sign a lot of documents.
    I got more into inks last year (discovered the Diamine website tbh) and bought a bunch of interesting crimsons, purples, greens, browns and maybe got a bit carried away. I have had a lot of fun using them and my notebooks are a rainbow of colours from page to page and I keep a lot of pens inked, can't help myself.

With the benefit of hindsight, though, I maybe went a bit too far (hehe) and I signed a bunch of invoices and offical documents in Sherwood green and a very bright Diamine Purple (obviously not two colours on one page), I got a slightly sarcastic comment from one of the guys in the accounts department.

<slapped wrist> I need to calm it down ......

I AM fairly senior at work (ego alert!) so pretty much I can get away with it but I have toned it down a bit, literally! I should be a bit more professional as I am not a 12 year old girl (no offence to any 12 year old girls reading). It's just a bit of fun, sorry if I coming across as a bit of a nutjob .....

Long preamble over I was wondering what people would recommend for work which is conservative enough to get away with, but rebellious enough to satisfy my inner subversive.

Example:
    Instead of using blue and black I am currently using Diamine Graphite and Diamine Blueberry. In both cases in the right light they are not *quite* black or blue <cue little smile>
    Both are interesting and beautiful, by the way, and I would recommend.

Surely I am not the only ink subversive or pigment revolutionary at work?

End of blurb!

Jolltax

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jolltax For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

akapulko2020 (September 4th, 2015), ceebert (August 28th, 2019), da vinci (September 1st, 2015), Faustine (September 30th, 2015), Hawk (September 4th, 2015), inklord (September 2nd, 2015), inlovewithjournals (September 1st, 2015), JackdeSpadas (September 9th, 2015), Neo (September 2nd, 2015), Penmoel (September 2nd, 2015), Sandy Fry (October 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Ink for work, professional and beautiful but rebellious, are you a colour subvers

Oh nice. I am trying to do the same and after discovering that Iroshizuko inks can be had for a fraction of the price from Japan I am using them to lighten up my day....ama-iro, kon-peki, yama-budo. people are so boring nowadays with their cheap biro's in black....7

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sevenof9 For This Useful Post:

Jolltax (September 1st, 2015), ThirdeYe (September 30th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: Ink for work, professional and beautiful but rebellious, are you a colour subvers

Where I work, and for what I do, I can use anything. But I do recognize that the entire world is not up-to-speed with this, so I understand the desire to be a little bit edgy but not raise eyebrows (too much). I should think a brown would be somewhat subversive but not the least bit undignified. Something like Montblanc Toffee Brown or Diamine Chocolate looks interesting. Take it a step further with Diamine Ancient Copper. Then there are dark greens like Diamine Evergreen.
    Last edited by mhosea; September 1st, 2015 at 12:51 AM.
    --
    Mike

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Jolltax (September 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Where I work, and for what I do, I can use anything. But I do recognize that the entire world is not up-to-speed with this, so I understand the desire to be a little bit edgy but not raise eyebrows (too much). I should think a brown would be somewhat subversive but not the least bit undignified. Something like Montblanc Toffee Brown or Diamine Chocolate looks interesting. Take it a step further with Diamine Ancient Copper. Then there are dark greens like Diamine Evergreen.
    Chocolate brown is definitely on the list now!

Thanks

My ink for that purpose is Cult Pens Deep Dark Purple by Diamine. With a fine nib it will catch the eye but not be blatant. With a broader nib the purple becomes to strong (but still nice) for a serious work ink in my opinion. But maybe that is what you are looking for. I also have a pen (EF) currently inked with Sherwood Green that I use at work. It is clearly green but dark enough to be acceptable. My "plain" work ink is Diamine Midnight blue. I also rotate brighter blues and interesting blue-blacks through and use Diamine Red Dragon in one pen for mark-ups. There is no need to be subtle there. I also always have one with either Aurora Black or MB Permanent Black when I want just plain BLACK. And Diamine Eclipse when I want almost black. And I also usually have one "fun" color as well but that one varies widely.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

Jolltax (September 2nd, 2015), Lady Onogaro (September 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Hi. I feel like you.
    I like Diamine Bilberry, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, El Lawrence and Zhivago. I think Private Reserve Black Cherry could pass. And I think Sailor Sei Boku is very interesting.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sitsi For This Useful Post:

Senior Member inlovewithjournals's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you Jolltax for a morning smile. I'm at work now and using Waterman Inspired Blue to edit reports. No raised eyebrows so far!
    Check out my blog: http://inlovewithjournals.wordpress.com/

The perfect place for a writer is in the hideous roar of a city, with men making a new road under his window in competition with a barrel organ, and on the mat a man waiting for the rent. - Henry Vollam Morton

13. The Following User Says Thank You to inlovewithjournals For This Useful Post:

Jolltax (September 2nd, 2015)

Thanks

I've used the following in a business setting without negative comment:
    MB Racing Green...if you can get it.
    Sailor Sei Boku or Platinum Pigment Blue-Black.
    Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue.
    Visconti Bordeaux.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Iroshizuku Kon-Peki is sassy enough to say "approved" and serious enough to say "denied".

Brought to you by the ad council to elect Iroshizuku Kon-Peki.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheInkluminati For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (September 4th, 2015), Crazyorange (September 2nd, 2015), Jolltax (September 2nd, 2015), Lady Onogaro (September 1st, 2015), Sammyo (September 11th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Sailor Shigure is nice and dark, and I doubt it would lift any eyebrows. Or even some of the dark green-blacks would do.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I use whatever color I please at work. Sparkly, red, electric blue. I get more comments on the pen than the ink which no one ever really looks at (I'm not turning in forms I'm taking notes in meetings and writing up ideas). But I firmly maintain that ink is like paint, it is not masculine or feminine, and color is certainly not '12 year old girl.' It is ART, no one would ever tell an artist "you can't use red, it isn't professional."
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (September 2nd, 2015), Jolltax (September 2nd, 2015), Neo (September 2nd, 2015)

Thanks

I would try Diamine Green Black, PR Ebony Purple

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to da vinci For This Useful Post:

inklord (September 2nd, 2015), Jolltax (September 2nd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jolltax View Post
    I was wondering what people would recommend for work which is conservative enough to get away with, but rebellious enough to satisfy my inner subversive[/B].

Example:
    Instead of using blue and black I am currently using Diamine Graphite and Diamine Blueberry. In both cases in the right light they are not *quite* black or blue
    I have been using a brown ink in my game book for years. I think that while it is "traditional", it also stands out from the blue and black crowd and looks very nice.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chemyst For This Useful Post:

ceebert (August 28th, 2019), Jolltax (September 2nd, 2015)

Thanks

What a wonderful story! Pretty much reflects mine, except that, growing up in (D) it was Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue and Lamy Blue-Black at first for me! I second Mike's vote for a brown, and since you seem to have easy access to Diamine, why not stick with that? To be a bit more deviant, you could either use "Rustic Brown" or "Oxblood"... But the key is consistency - using the same ink or only slight variants throughout at least for month-long stretches, so you better choose one you can live with for a while! BTW, my favorite brown is J.Herbin "Lie de The" - pretty conservative, but with rich shading.
    For a blue, if absolutely unavoidable, try Diamine's "Majestic Blue" - undeniably a blue, but with purplish sheen where it's thick, royal blue at mid level, and sky blue in thin sections. Requires good pen hygiene, though.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Love your story and the work situation is similar to mine. I steer clear of reds/golds/pinks/oranges in my work environment. However, I don't shy away from purples, blues, dark greens and browns. I aim to use inks that are clearly "appropriate" on the surface but give me enjoyment and prompt a second look. Diamine Majestic Blue, Pelikan Edelstein Topaz and Amazing Amethyst, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, PR Avocado and J. Herbin 1670 inks in Stormy Grey, Blue Ocean & Emerald de Chivor are all regularly seen in my notebooks, on forms, as my signature etc.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newjelan For This Useful Post:

Hawk (September 4th, 2015), Jolltax (September 2nd, 2015)

Thanks

So many great suggestions, I can feel a bout of internet shopping coming on!

Thanks all, its funny how you can find like-minded people out there ...

o7 <salute>

J

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jolltax For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (September 4th, 2015), inklord (September 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

I used Sailor Jentle Yama-dori at work for a couple of days. I take notes, but also sign quite a lot of official documents. I really loved the ink, the shading and the sheen is incredible. But I'm a bit conservative and changed to Asa-gao today.
    I don't think my coworkers care what colour I use, but I stop myself for some reason.
    JFT96 - YNWA

33. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyYNWA For This Useful Post:

Jolltax (September 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

I went back to Sailor Jentle Yama Dori for note taking, its easier on the eyes than Kiwa-Guro nano black for me.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to notsim For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notsim View Post
    I went back to Sailor Jentle Yama Dori for note taking, its easier on the eyes than Kiwa-Guro nano black for me.
    If it had been only for note taking I would have stayed with Yama-dori.
    But now I sign quite a lot of official documents and I didn't really know if that colour would go down well. I especially sign lots of transport documents and I don't know how the customs officers in some countries would react to a greenish teal.
    JFT96 - YNWA

37. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyYNWA For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I like Diamine Macassar, a very dark brown that doesn't get enough mention.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rdcalhoon For This Useful Post:

ceebert (August 28th, 2019), Jolltax (September 3rd, 2015), SchaumburgSwan (October 5th, 2019), ThirdeYe (September 30th, 2015)