Thread: Hello, new member from North Carolina.

Thanks

Default Hello, new member from North Carolina.

Hello, I just found this forum while researching fountain pens. I have not used one yet and have been trying to learn as much as I can before buying one. Money is tight and I don't need one that is fancy but rather one that works well and will last. I have an affinity for older things that last and are pleasing to the eye such as straight razors which I restore currently as a hobby.
    I look forward to learning about these pens.

Mick.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Default Re: Hello, new member from North Carolina.

Hi and Welcome to the madness. Indulge! Try getting a Twsbi eco, for $30 you can't buy a better pen to begin this journey.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. The Triangle Pen Club is pretty active and there is also an annual show in the spring. All are welcome as long as you prefer East Carolina BBQ and not that red stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Greetings and welcome. This place is a hive of knowledge. By reading reviews and asking questions you will find something that is write for you.

Thanks

welcome welcome. There are several vintage pens that are great writers that wont break the bank.

Thanks

Parker 45 will also not steer you wrong.

Thanks

Thank everyone, I shall ask some questions in the pen forum soon to come closer to a better idea of what I think would be a good purchase for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    All are welcome as long as you prefer East Carolina BBQ and not that red stuff.
    Ah yes, East Carolina BBQ is very good indeed. However I play no favorites, I find most style very good when done properly.

Thanks

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Welcome and enjoy the Quest for that first fountain pen!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Howdy,

I'm from just across the mountains from you near Bristol, TN. Don't live there now though.

Like you I am a 'frugal' pen user. More a user than a collector. I have quite a few lower cost pens. So, if you would like to chat sometime give me a hollar on PM. There are quite a few really good low cost pens. I love TWSBI's and the piston 580 is my workhorse. But that stretches into the $30 to 70 range. But pens like Pilot Metropolitan, the Platinum Plaisir or the Lamy Safari are all very good, durable pens. All three are also very reliable and about $30 and below depending on where you buy. You can even go to the Platinum Preppy, a $4 pen but it has the same nib and feed as the Plaisir. They have a nice size grip and the ones I have had were ultra reliable. The only real gripe I have seen on the Preppy is that they can crack if handled roughly, dropped, etc. There is quite a world of frugal fountain pens out there. You can even go vintage, but usually with less reliability.

Thanks

I have an affinity for nice things unfortunately my wallet doesn't always agree with me. As well I live fairly minimalistic minus some hobbies like antique razors. I could see this taking up house in that sort of restoration area as well. I really want reliability something made to last if taken care of. But need to dip my toes in to see if it's something I actually like and would use or if I just like the idea of it. In which case I don't go overboard on my first purchase.
    I have been looking at the Pilot Prera at Enjeika it's half the price of anywhere else. Has good reviews and a simple classic look in the gray.

Thanks

We look forward to the time when the power of love will replace the love of power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.

Thanks

Welcome. There were quite a few recomendations for modern pens, were good. I thought you leaned toward older pens. There are quite a few inexpensive ones out there that are reliable. In fact, my collection has pretty much abandoned modern pens because I prefer old stuff. For older stuff, Rick Krantz is a reliable seller and he posts on Pentrace Market Place. There are other good sellers out there....
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Welcome. There were quite a few recomendations for modern pens, were good. I thought you leaned toward older pens. There are quite a few inexpensive ones out there that are reliable. In fact, my collection has pretty much abandoned modern pens because I prefer old stuff. For older stuff, Rick Krantz is a reliable seller and he posts on Pentrace Market Place. There are other good sellers out there....
    I do prefer older things very much, but I have no problem looking into something new as a starter. Just today I drove to the nearest pen store I could locate in Wilmington about 40miles from me just to get a feel for them. They only had a few models out for testing as they are a small family owned stationary store. The owner was very nice and let me try out a few even though some weren't inked I could see how they felt in my hand.
    Then we made the usual rounds of antique stores that I usually search for razors at and I picked up a first project pen for $5. It's a Sheaffer with 14k nib. Needs new sac but other then that looks good in my limited knowledge. I'll get some pics up after I clean it some.

Thanks

The Sheaffer sounds like a good pen to start out with. A new sac and some cleanup, assuming the nib is serviceable, sounds like a winner. If other pens strike your interest later on, you will have your first pen and great memories starting out in fountain pens.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Default Hello, new member from North Carolina.

Did a little research and I believe it to be a tuckaway with the "TRIUMPH" nib. The nib does move around a little. Not sure if the boiling water seating trick works on these nibs or not (or even works at all as I've only seen it in one video). The cap is gold color says Evenrite USA on it and doesn't fit very well. I think it's from something else not sure. Tomorrow I will start a thread in the repair section.
    Thank you all.

Thanks

Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

Hi Mick,