Thread: Bad converter? Or typical lifespan?

Thanks

Default Bad converter? Or typical lifespan?

Hey all,

First post outside the "New Members" area, so aplogies in advance if I'm in the wrong spot. In Dec 2014, I purchased 2 Platinum Plaisirs and the International converters that fit them from a very reputable vendor. This Summer, one of the converters started to stick, and the knob got harder and harder to turn until...well, now the knob turns fine, but the piston no move. Now, a couple days ago, my wife says hers is doing the same thing. Could we have done something wrong? Did we get defective converters? Or is this typical, and it's just time to suck it up and buy new converters?

Any and all info, clarifying questions, and the like appreciated.
    Jack

Thanks

Default Re: Bad converter? Or typical lifespan?

Do you have silicone grease? The seal on that converter may be too far deteriorated to be fixed, but it's worth a try. In the future, if you notice a converter (or piston) is sticking or has a lot of resistance, apply a bit of silicone grease around the inside wall of the converter - it only takes a really small amount. After applying greasing the seal, it should be good for another year or two. There's a couple videos on YouTube that show how do it. Make sure it's 100% silicone grease that your applying. Goulet, Anderson, and others will carry it.
    Last edited by rpsyed; September 3rd, 2015 at 11:03 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

JackdeSpadas (September 13th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

If the knob turns fine but the piston doesn't move, they've probably broken some "teeth", so you'll need new converters. Then follow rpsyed's advice and apply silicone grease. I personally don't wait until they need it.

As for whether you did anything wrong, that's hard to say. If you cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, I'd say yes, you did something wrong. If you just used them normally and flushed them with water, then they probably just got stiff. Converters don't last forever, but next time grease them, and they'll last a long time.
    --
    Mike

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Dreck (September 4th, 2015), JackdeSpadas (September 13th, 2015), rpsyed (September 3rd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,754 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JackdeSpadas View Post
    Hey all,

First post outside the "New Members" area, so aplogies in advance if I'm in the wrong spot. In Dec 2014, I purchased 2 Platinum Plaisirs and the International converters that fit them from a very reputable vendor. This Summer, one of the converters started to stick, and the knob got harder and harder to turn until...well, now the knob turns fine, but the piston no move. Now, a couple days ago, my wife says hers is doing the same thing. Could we have done something wrong? Did we get defective converters? Or is this typical, and it's just time to suck it up and buy new converters?

Any and all info, clarifying questions, and the like appreciated.
    Jack

Plaisirs (I own seven, lol) don't use international converters, but proprietary ones. Could this be your problem?

Pics would help!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That's what I thought - the converters fitting Platinum (including Plaisirs), at least as normally sold in the US) are the very high quality Platinum converters, easily recognized by the domed metal piece between converter barrel and twisting knob. Those shouldn't break in a decade at least - after all, that's what you feed your Nakaya with!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    That's what I thought - the converters fitting Platinum (including Plaisirs), at least as normally sold in the US) are the very high quality Platinum converters, easily recognized by the domed metal piece between converter barrel and twisting knob. Those shouldn't break in a decade at least - after all, that's what you feed your Nakaya with!
    I guess I had worse luck with that converter. Mine rattled (inside the pen) like an old VW Beetle

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    I guess I had worse luck with that converter. Mine rattled (inside the pen) like an old VW Beetle
    Not good! I guess they would up QC a bit for the maki-e decorated converters...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Don't have a lot of experience with Platinum converters, just the one with a 3776 Chartres Blue. The only rattling converter I've had was the Pilot Con-50 because of the insert. I have had some converters rattle against adjacent pen parts in Bexley pens. I use silicone or latex sac trimmings around the handle to stop it (if the handle still fits where it belongs in the pen with them on, which it doesn't always).
    --
    Mike

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

inklord (September 5th, 2015), JackdeSpadas (September 13th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

When you get any new converter smear a little silicon grease on the piston and threaded rod.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. Given all the things you all have mentioned, I think some user error is the prime culprit.

So...it started sticking, and I kinda muscled it a little much, and like mhosea (Mike) mentioned, the teeth stripped. Only later did I learn that the cone shaped piece is threaded to the clear barrel of the converter....So I could have prevented the whole thing with a little thought and patience. I hang my head in shame.

On the bright side, a converter is fairly inexpensive and I learned something. Nice to hear that they are (in good hands, anyway) fairly durable.

Thanks, everyone!
    Jack

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JackdeSpadas For This Useful Post:

sharmon202 (September 14th, 2015)