Thread: 2015 SF Pen Show Ink Testing Stations

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Default 2015 SF Pen Show Ink Testing Stations

I'm still getting caught up, and intend a broader report on the show, but somewhere else I was asked about the Ink Testing Stations (ITS) and it is a story worth sharing.

So that you have an idea how this came about: the SF Pen Posse are the people who organized the ITS. The call went out to friends far and wide: we want the most inks in one place to play with. So everybody went through their inventories, checked an online spreadsheet that had been made up (I believe that was over 1200 entries of known inks, past and present), and people submitted sample vials.

They finally decided to make a cut-off point for the show at 500. A bulk purchase of the Dollar 717i pens (I think that was the model) was made directly from Pakistan; these are student-level, transparent piston-fill fountain pens. That whacky Pen Posse met on successive weekends to collate, catalog, gather the inks, print labels for the pens and then eventually fill them.

Each of the 5 stations had 100 pens. A list was made, alphabetically first by maker, then by ink name. These were printed on placards, placed on each table. Here is a pic I took that gives a rough idea of each table's setup:

At each table (station), you looked at a list with 100 inks on it, numbered to match the pen; the pen also had the name of the ink and number on a label as well; note that there were no swatches of inks to look at, just a list of the brands and names. There were ample supplies of various papers to use, though many people had their own journals, etc, to log their samples. While the pens all sported a nib that was probably about a Western f/m, you certainly could get a good example of how the ink behaved on paper (multiple nibs would have been impossible). The bonus was that these were clear 'demonstrators', so you could see the ink in the barrel.

The actual rigs were ingenious, and AFAIK were the brainchild of AltecGreen (Ricky Chau). Beautiful to look at, they found that the clip on each pen cap could be unscrewed. The cap was inverted, placed in the holder, and a matching screw secured it from underneath. The pen was then placed in the cap, nib down, and screwed into place. Yeah, there were times when people came up and attempted to just pull the pens out, but eventually it became clear that they all screwed securely into place.

(Photo: sfpenshow)

No one really knew how well, if at all, this would work. It turned out to work remarkably well! Lots and lots of people got to try inks, many of which you couldn't find anywhere (there were a few sad people when they realized some of these were unobtainum inks), but on balance, the opportunity to sample something like Montblanc Racing Green, Sheaffer Persian Rose, Parker Penman Sapphire, and many others, in addition to the hundreds of currently available inks, meant that the tables were routinely filled with eager inkers. Here is a quick pic of ethernautrix filling page after page in her lovely, calibrated hand (I'm pretty sure she 'sampled' into her ink journal between 10% and 20% of the total):

I have to stand in awe of my friends from the SF Pen Posse who put this all together. Many people gave very generously from their personal ink collections, and in addition to Ricky's work, I also have to single out Loren Smith, who worked tirelessly in gathering all the samples, working the spreadsheets, printing labels, keeping this entire thing on track. I wasn't physically there during all this (I live in San Diego), and I don't mean to slight anyone's contribution by omission - many, many people made this happen, and all the materials and time and ink was donated, and this was not a project done on the cheap. A team effort of stellar people.

A rather singular and remarkable pen show event, certainly a first. It won't be the last - come next year!

(Photo: Franz Dimson)
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; September 4th, 2015 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Additional info
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bleair (September 4th, 2015), caribbean_skye (September 4th, 2015), chojo (September 4th, 2015), Costanza (September 4th, 2015), Crazyorange (September 4th, 2015), dannzeman (September 4th, 2015), ethernautrix (September 4th, 2015), franzdimson (September 3rd, 2015), Hawk (September 4th, 2015), jcgara (September 4th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (September 4th, 2015), Laura N (September 4th, 2015), lsmith42 (September 4th, 2015), Neo (September 4th, 2015), reprieve (September 5th, 2015), Sketchy (September 4th, 2015), TerraNoir (September 23rd, 2015), Waltman (September 11th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default Re: 2015 SF Pen Show Ink Testing Stations

The ITS was awesome! I spent a couple hours there on Sunday getting all the samples from Iroshizuku, Akkerman, and Montblanc. In total I think it was 96-98 samples.

It didn't have the initial wow factor of something like DC where all the bottles are sitting there, but once you realize exactly what you're looking at and how practical it is, a whole new level of excitement rushes over you. The inks don't get funky, they don't get contaminated, it's just a very easy system to use.

Major thanks to everyone involved in making this happen!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (September 4th, 2015), Jon Szanto (September 4th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks for the low down on the ITS. It may not have the visual wow of the Array of bottles but I do wonder whether this may change not only how DC does their ITS but will give other shows an idea of starting their own doing take on ITS.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caribbean_skye For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 4th, 2015), reprieve (September 5th, 2015)

Thanks

I'm blushing... But I'm glad it worked so well for so many...

The brain trust is already working on how to make it better for next year!

More inks is an obvious first step.

Also, the Posse people are now borrowing/exchanging the stations so they can reap the reward of their work. Once they're done, we'll clean all the pens.

Any volunteers?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lsmith42 For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 4th, 2015)

Thanks

Truly a labor of love and a great service to the community.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rdcalhoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Great report on the ITS, Jon! And Franz took wonderful photos of the show.

I parked myself in front of each of ITSes at some point on Saturday, enjoying many conversations and ultimately trying just over 80 inks. (I contributed only 16 inks, don't know how many of those were used, so perhaps that stretch brings the number to 10% of ITS inks that I tested. Yeah, a stretch. But there were 500 inks and only one me and Saturday; Sunday I wanted to see the rest of the show, hahaha.)

I returned to Wrocław after midnight Thursday (end of Wednesday) after a ten-hour layover in Copenhagen, rested all day Thursday, and today (Friday) ran errands all afternoon (actually, walked, as it will be several weeks before I can ride a bike), so I have barely looked at my photos of the pen show, BUT! today, I took pictures of my notebook pages wherein I tried the inks. I'm aiming to post them in the next couple of days. (I haven't looked at those photos yet, and if they're terrible... oh yeah, I'll take more photos, duh.) Also, pictures from the show (duh again). (I might be tired. Hahaha.)

The ITS is brilliant. I wonder if other pen shows will be able to match or exceed it; after all, it takes a posse. A pen posse.

I did buy one ink because of the ITS, which I bought from Van Ness (Akkerman Blue-Black iron-gall); I discovered an exclusive FPH ink that I want, Old Dutch Colony Sepia, which I realized "AAAARGH! If I had known!" Because I had ordered FPH-exclusives Old Manhattan Black and Manhattan Blue -- and I could have ordered ODCS, and now it was too late, cos I was leaving Tuesday. I also loved the Callifolio inks and was tempted to buy a bunch of them from Van Ness, but I knew space was limited in my one checked luggage, not to mention weight (which I exceeded by about 15 lbs and had to pay for, but I was prepared for that). Anyway, yes, the ITS is an amazing way to find out if an ink is as enticing in person as it seems in reviews.

JUST BRILLIANT, RICKY, LOREN, AND PEN POSSE!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith42 View Post
    Also, the Posse people are now borrowing/exchanging the stations so they can reap the reward of their work. Once they're done, we'll clean all the pens.

Any volunteers?
    Sure, I'd love to borrow one. Oh, wait...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

lsmith42 (September 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Amazing. So tempted to fly across the country next year....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    DO IT ! ! ! !

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    DO IT ! ! ! !
    It's very tempting....SF is an amazing city and then there's wine country. I need a boozy pen buddy to travel with

Thanks

DO IT ! ! ! !
    It's very tempting....SF is an amazing city and then there's wine country. I need a boozy pen buddy to travel with
    I'm in for designated driver.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    DO IT ! ! ! !
    But can you be a designated fountain pen person at the ink station?

Thanks

DO IT ! ! ! !
    The ink station is the problem. I probably wouldn't get to see the rest of the show.

Thanks

DO IT ! ! ! !
    The ink station is the problem. I probably wouldn't get to see the rest of the show.
    Yup me too.

On a ranch straight from a Farside comic.
    Thanks

You get to see the rest of the show when, periodically, the need to find and purchase a particular ink strikes. The real difficulty occurs at the end of the day when the full weight of all those ink purchases is felt. Next year I'm bringing a shopping cart.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sketchy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 5th, 2015)

Thanks

In the post show ink sampling for the SF Pen Posse, I thought I should pass on what I learned.

Besides going for specific inks that you want to try, I suggest trying all or a LOT of the inks.

This is especially so for brands that you know little about. And there were several brands that I knew nothing about.

The reason I say this is, I found several inks that I will be following up with sample or bottle orders, which I would not have found if I had not systematically gone through the samples. Part of the reason for that is, with some inks, you have absolutely no idea what color the ink is, just by the name, especially if the name is in a different language. So I would never have found these inks if I had just looked for "green" or "red" inks.

Yes this process takes a LONGER time, but finding new inks that I would not have, made the time spent worth while.

And you don't even have to be real fancy about it.

All I did was write the brand and name of the ink on a line in my notebook. That one line was enough ink color to tell me if I should go back and do further writing samples of a specific ink or not. And in my case, enough visual info to tell me to order samples of the inks for further review, or to skip that and just buy a bottle.

So spend more time at the sampling table, you might just find a new ink that you like.
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com