Thread: What is the best part of buying a new pen?

Thanks

Default What is the best part of buying a new pen?

I recently bought my first Parker 51. It was online market place site in Australia. I think it was someone whose father or husband died and was selling off his pen. Only described as an old Parker that had been a gift in 1951 in England. Photos didnt focus on the vital parts so was hard to be sure what it was. But the price was very very good Hooded nib made me suspect it could be a 51. So after posting on the Parker forum most thought it was in fact a 51. Then I had to wait to see whether I had an ordinary 51 or the cheaper Special. The anticipation of what I might have purchased was quite exciting and also the research to try and identify it. I now know about 10 times as much about Parker 51s than I did before so the experience had two pluses.
    So the purchase of something that you havent seen physically no doubt has its risks but also the anticipation and mystery is so exciting. I have only bought one new pen from a pen shop and that was a Faber Castell E-motion but while it was exciting the anticipation was missing as I knew what I was getting.

Of course you probably wouldnt buy an expensive pen without physically seeing it But when you are buying some of these under $50 cheap vintage pens from unprofessional sellers who are not sure what they are selling I find it a really exciting experience. Yes obviously not every purchase is going to be what you expected but I still think I would continue to do it.

There must be heaps of little treasures out there in opportunity shops, antique shops and at estate sales. I also think that there must be some great buys at garage sales but I am not going to spend my weekends going to them.

When I read the "What pen are you waiting for" forum you can feel the excitement and anticipation of those waiting for their new purchase.

So to tie this altogether I would be interested in hearing whether anyone else has experienced this excitement or is just the excitement of having a pen you want in your hand.
    “When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laurie For This Useful Post:

inklord (September 17th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (September 22nd, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: What is the best part of buying a new pen?

Whenever a pen becomes 'desirable' to me, I start thinking about where I can obtain it. The shopping experience is for me the beginning of a personal story with a very personal implement, the pen.
    Here in north-east Wisconsin we are blessed with an excellent B&M pen, ink and paper store, and that is where I prefer to go now; back in Germany I'd never even considered buying through mail order: the feeling of being handed a pen, seated in front of a writing pad, and being able to dip it in ink to try it out to then make an educated buying decision... irreplaceable!
    The next best option is for me to buy from a maker (like Edison or Franklin-Christoph) where I can discuss my needs and their offering by e-mail or phone.
    I try to avoid anonymous internet shopping, but now several e-tailers have very helpful customer service personnel.
    Of course, to receive a pen as a gift beats all of the above .

Thanks

I'd say the one of the most exciting parts of a new pen for me is definitely tracking down the hard-to-find pens I like, especially when I have been searching for them for a while, or when they fill a hole in my collection and add to the timeline I'm trying to create with my collection. I have had bargains before on some of mine, and that only makes it better. Especially, when the pens are in very good condition and not needing a restoration. Aside from great writing (and drawing) nibs, it's the sense of history in the pen. The thought that the pen has seen more, and been to unknown places in the world is pretty fun to think about. Finally, I also love the design and engineering aspect of the pens I collect. I love the safety fillers with their retractable nibs; the Montblanc telescoping piston is a marvel and I love to look at it, and figure out its intricacies. So, yeah, all the above is what I love most about a new pen.
    Less is More. - Mies van der Rohe/Less is a Bore. - Robert Venturi

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fawkes For This Useful Post:

inklord (September 18th, 2015), Laurie (September 17th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Sadly, the best part of buying a new pen is thinking about the next pen I will want to buy.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (September 20th, 2015), cwent2 (September 24th, 2015), Laurie (September 18th, 2015)

Thanks

Opening the box and adding the pen to my collection.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Laurie (September 19th, 2015)

Thanks

So some are happy with the known factor. Yes it is a new Visconti and I have paid a good price and I know exactly what I am getting. So the best part is the just getting what you want. To me there is more interest in the unknown. OK I have bought this pen without seeing it, but it was a very good price. If a vintage pen, is it in good condition or just beyond repair. Is it something more than I expected. I get a bit of a thrill out of the unknown. Is it what it appears to be in the photos or is it in better condition that it appears. Maybe it just the good feeling of getting what you think is a bargain. That is what I was trying to find out, what gives the best feeling
    “When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,015 Posts

I don't often buy my pens from B&M dealers, so the best part for me is always receiving it in the mail and opening it for the first time.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (September 20th, 2015), Laurie (September 19th, 2015), Monty_Verde (September 21st, 2015), pengeezer (September 24th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I don't often buy my pens from B&M dealers, so the best part for me is always receiving it in the mail and opening it for the first time.
    Same here, the unboxing part just is the best for me.
    "You may need to fight a battle more than once to win it."
    - Margaret Thatcher

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monty_Verde For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (September 21st, 2015), Laurie (September 21st, 2015)

Thanks

Unboxing, inking up and writing for the first time.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (September 21st, 2015), Haefennasiel (September 22nd, 2015), Laurie (September 21st, 2015)

Thanks

First inking. super fun.

Thanks

The mail notice it is time for pick up at the postal outlet.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Writing with it. Plain and simple.
    My other writing instrument is a pencil.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RuiFromUK For This Useful Post:

Haefennasiel (September 22nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

I like the thrill and anticipation of the hunt if it's a pen that's hard to find.

And I enjoy tracking down the best deal in the case of a pen that's more readily available.

Then there's the satisfaction of finally seeing all the pens of a collection sitting happily together on my nightstand.

Bliss.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (September 23rd, 2015), Laurie (September 24th, 2015)

Thanks

I like throwing away the packaging, including the pen box and instructions.

Next I like waiting a few months to a year deciding whether to ink it or not.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Laurie (September 25th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

The anticipation. Always the anticipation. I might as well toss the box in the trash unopened; no pen is as good as that tingly, yawning soul hole of anticipation.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Laurie (September 25th, 2015)

Thanks

It appears this question is falling into two major sides. Those who know exactly what they are getting and just cant wait until it arrives and they use it. On the otherside there is the ones that are not sure what is coming. As I said I always like the anticipation. Bit like a kid at Xmas time. If you asked for a bike you cant wait to ride it. If you are not sure what they are buying you cant wait to get up to find what it is.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Laurie For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (September 26th, 2015)