Thread: Pre-Richemont Montegrappa Classica in Turquoise Blue Celluloid

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Pre-Richemont Montegrappa Classica in Turquoise Blue Celluloid

The Classica series was introduced in 1999 just before Richemont bought a controlling interest in Montegrappa. The first edition was celluloid and Sterling silver and continued into the Richemont ownership era. This one was made before the ownership change indicated by the "1055 VI" guild stamp on the Sterling silver parts.

Here are the boring details about the pen:

Boring Details:

Length closed: 138mm
    Body and nib: 130mm
    Posted: 153mm
    Weight: 20.4g

Italian pens like Italian cars simply exude "stilo", and this pen is no exception. It balances well posted or un-posted, the 18K nib which is on the fine end of medium is smooth and responsive with just the right amount of feedback. The lines are smooth with no abrupt changes and the celluloid section is slightly concave to fit and position your fingers.

The second series of Classica pens used resin as a base instead of the celluloid but it is really well done almost MOP like resin.

From top to bottom:the Turquoise Celluloid Classica, a later Blue Resin and a Richemont era Charcoal Celluloid

The Classica is a cartridge/converter pen design and on the celluloid versions a blind cap at the end of the body can be removed to operate the converter. Of course you can also unscrew the section conventionally.

Like every Montegrappa pen I've tried it is simply a joy to use, reliable, beautiful yet conservative, an understated Italian design with flair and "eleganza".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

That is such a rich looking blue! I love the nib design. The cap finial also looks cool.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    That is such a rich looking blue! I love the nib design. The cap finial also looks cool.
    Montegrappa does some really lovely celluloid pens in a wide variety of colors. The Turquoise and Bamboo Black are among my favorites and their red celluloid is definitely an In Your Face Red; the Midnight Black and Charcoal are more subdued variations on a theme while the Cinnamon and Parchment are simply unique.

Thanks

Beautiful photographs, and the penne stilografiche ain't bad either. Fun seeing the photographer in the last CU, though his head is obscured by an orb of shimmering white light.

You've highlighted these elegant design elements perfectly: I especially like that transition to the celluloid section. I'd never seen these pens, thank you. And now I'm googling the 'Cinnabon' celluloid in a separate window. It just sounds like Tuscany.