Thread: Looking at vintage Pelikans

Thanks

Default Looking at vintage Pelikans

Hi,
    Was just looking at the vintage Pelican at thepenguinpen.com, and thinking I might go in that direction. I'd wish for an aesthetically very clean model, that is also mechanically fit enough to go into rotation with any contemporary pens.

- What year range should I be looking at?
    - Would these below be appropriate? Green marble finish is my first choice --like the one on the left of the page below.

http://www.thepenguinpen.com/pelikan...green100ns.jsp

- Will Rick send pics and further info of his pens?

tia

P.S. Although I'd prefer a F or EF, thoughts on this one at eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelikan-100-...torefresh=true

Thanks

Default Re: Looking at vintage Pelikans

Hi,

Rick Propas is an outstanding seller and the undisputed expert of vintage Pelikan pens in North America. I am sure that he will provide you all the information that you desire.
    Also the ebay auction that you refer to is from a trusted seller I think; I see him selling quality Pelikan pens since many years.

I have no affiliation with either seller.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jos For This Useful Post:

inklord (October 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    Hi,

Rick Propas is an outstanding seller and the undisputed expert of vintage Pelikan pens in North America. I am sure that he will provide you all the information that you desire.
    Also the ebay auction that you refer to is from a trusted seller I think; I see him selling quality Pelikan pens since many years.

Thanks. Actually couple of my questions were answered simply by reading Rick's descriptions (what a concept, duh). Guess I might open up to a 50's green striped 400. Would have been very nice to have a working vintage celluloid 100N.

I should probably slow down, watch and learn for a while. I have no idea of half of the nib grinds he describes.

Thanks

Rick has a rare Pelikan 100 in Green with a WW2 Palladium-nib. These nibs are very hard to find, almost impossible to find in the US. I've seen maybe 2 in the past several years on eBay. The nib is an Oblique medium that can be straightened to a M/B stub if needed. It is super smooth and has WET NOODLE FLEX, while still being controllable for daily writing.

The pen is mine, on commission to be sold~

Here's a writing sample I made before I gave it to Rick to sell for me:
    FullSizeRender (9).jpg
    Last edited by ChrisC; October 3rd, 2015 at 07:33 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

bluesea (October 3rd, 2015), inklord (October 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up Chris. Turns out I'll need to turn away from the 100's, since I'd prefer semi-flex for a day to day pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,872 Times in 811 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
    Hi,

Thanks. Actually couple of my questions were answered simply by reading Rick's descriptions (what a concept, duh). Guess I might open up to a 50's green striped 400. Would have been very nice to have a working vintage celluloid 100N.

I should probably slow down, watch and learn for a while. I have no idea of half of the nib grinds he describes.
    This is a very good idea. When I started out with Pelikan pens I thought I would like fine nibs. Turns out I was very wrong. I was also caught up in all the semi-flex and flex thing, but it so happens, for my particular use and needs, a firmer nib is a lot more useful. I take a lot of quick notes during meetings and such and a firm nib turns out to be better than a flexy one. Naturally, if you want your pen for writing letters at your leisure a flexier pen is a lot nicer.

If you are lucky enough to live near a city that hosts a pen show I would recommend you go so you have the opportunity to try out what you like. There is another way of learning about nibs but it takes a lot more time and it is a lot more expensive.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

bluesea (October 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
    Hi,

This is a very good idea. When I started out with Pelikan pens I thought I would like fine nibs. Turns out I was very wrong. I was also caught up in all the semi-flex and flex thing, but it so happens, for my particular use and needs, a firmer nib is a lot more useful. I take a lot of quick notes during meetings and such and a firm nib turns out to be better than a flexy one. Naturally, if you want your pen for writing letters at your leisure a flexier pen is a lot nicer.

If you are lucky enough to live near a city that hosts a pen show I would recommend you go so you have the opportunity to try out what you like. There is another way of learning about nibs but it takes a lot more time and it is a lot more expensive.

Thanks. My needs in terms of flex seems to be inline with yours. I was under the impression that semi-flex would work out for me, but possibly not. Fwiw I'm pretty happy with the B nib on my Marine Blue M605. I can get away with a *tad* more flex, but wouldn't want anymore.