Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ink Review: Diamine Pumpkin

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

Default Ink Review: Diamine Pumpkin

My latest ink is Diamine Pumpkin. I just had to review this ink during October. It is a bright orange. Actually, I mean it's a really bright orange. It's brighter than most of my other orange inks, and I have a few.

As expected I found that Pumpkin is the brightest orange that I have. Gerbera is similar, but is a bit more toned down with red. Most orange inks lean much more yellow than Pumpkin does. Pumpkin is also quite a saturated orange compared with others.

Because I have a Lamy Nexx M pen with an orange cap, there was really no need to look further for a pen to review this ink with. It has a 1.1 stub nib. I found the ink flowed really well across the page. I wrote all of the way across the page and could see the Pumpkin ink shining wet in a trail. The it dried quickly as I started my next line of writing. I also used a Lamy Safari with a F nib as a comparison against the 1.1mm nib.

You could use this ink as a highlighter across typing. It is certainly bright enough. And if you like fun, bright orange ink, well you're all set with Pumpkin. Pumpkin is my favourite orange ink by a Country mile.

• Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny surface, and I used a 1.1 stub nib, this ink took just 10-12 secs to dry.
    • It flows through the pen well and lubricates the nib very well. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.
    • It exhibits some really nice shading between yellow-orange and a bright red-orange.
    • This isn't a waterproof ink, but it shows reasonable water resistance.
    • Clean up out of pens is easy. It flushes out with warm or cold water.
    • Clean up off hands can need a couple of washes with bar soap and water. It leaves a little redness that needs a second wash.
    • It's a well-behaved ink, no nib "crud" was noticed on nib during my review. However, almost all yellow/orange dyes will eventually leave some "crud" on nibs and bottle threads.
    • It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic refill bottles.
    • Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
    • It's a reasonable price

Diamine Pumpkin.jpeg
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 3rd, 2019 at 04:14 AM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BCDDiggler (October 15th, 2015), calamus (October 16th, 2018), carlos.q (October 16th, 2015), DMurphy (October 17th, 2015), fountainpenkid (October 20th, 2015), Haefennasiel (October 21st, 2015), Jeph (October 15th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (October 17th, 2015), Laura N (October 15th, 2015), Neo (October 15th, 2015), R.A. Stewart (October 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine Pumpkin

A jolly ink. I have Diamine Blaze Orange and wonder how different it is to Pumpkin...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 17th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
    A jolly ink. I have Diamine Blaze Orange and wonder how different it is to Pumpkin...
    Sorry but I don't have Blaze Orange as a comparison. Now I'm looking at this scan online, it looks quite toned-down I can assure you this ink is brighter than it looks on here.

Edited: I now have Blaze Orange and have included it as a comparison ink on my rewritten review form
    Last edited by Chrissy; October 16th, 2018 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Pretty! I love the shading. Although retina-searing means it isn't for me, I think most people really like a bright orange. Is it as bright as MB Gandhi? Even thinking about that makes my eyes hurt.

By the way, that is a great drawing of the pumpkin!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Pretty! I love the shading. Although retina-searing means it isn't for me, I think most people really like a bright orange. Is it as bright as MB Gandhi? Even thinking about that makes my eyes hurt.

By the way, that is a great drawing of the pumpkin!
    Thank you very much. I had to practice a few first LOL

Yes I would say it's as bright as Mb Gandhi, but just more orange.
    Last edited by Chrissy; October 15th, 2015 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks

Pumpkin is a favorite of mine. Yes, it is an unabashed orange and proud of it, but to me it also has an organic cast. It is a color you see in nature, rather than on a road worker's vest.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rdcalhoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The beer to go with this ink?
    (Don't worry, it's not made from pumpkins.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whych For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 17th, 2015), Crazyorange (October 17th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (October 17th, 2015), Morgaine (November 5th, 2018), R.A. Stewart (October 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Thank you for posting your review. I really like orange, well I am biased my daughter attends Oklahoma State University "Go Pokes!", however the only orange that I have is Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange. I would like to expand my collections but need to limit myself right now.

Fountain Pen Day - November 6th, 2015
    Broken Arrow, OK

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DMurphy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I like it. Does it come in the little bottles? I think I would get it--or at least a sample. I wonder what Crazyorange thinks about it.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 17th, 2015), Crazyorange (October 17th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rdcalhoon View Post
    Pumpkin is a favorite of mine. Yes, it is an unabashed orange and proud of it, but to me it also has an organic cast. It is a color you see in nature, rather than on a road worker's vest.
    I agree, you're spot on there. It has a sort of 'peachiness' texture about it somehow, that is seen in nature. I'm finding it hard to describe though. Almost like it blushes into bright orange.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I like it. Does it come in the little bottles? I think I would get it--or at least a sample. I wonder what Crazyorange thinks about it.
    I'm sure you can buy it in 30ml bottles. Maybe it could be one to try a sample of if you're placing a Diamine order?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

I haven't tried this one. I do have diamine blaze orange.....and I hate it. Very dry and so light and bright it's useless.

I do think pumpkin color would be more useable. My favorite orange: Lamy cooper orange. Followed by MB orange - which I've forgotten the name of. duh!!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (October 17th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    I haven't tried this one. I do have diamine blaze orange.....and I hate it. Very dry and so light and bright it's useless.

I do think pumpkin color would be more useable. My favorite orange: Lamy cooper orange. Followed by MB orange - which I've forgotten the name of. duh!!!
    Montblanc Ink of Joy??

I would say that Pumpkin is definitely not in the category of very dry and so light it's useless. But it's still bright!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default Ink Review: Diamine Pumpkin

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

Montblanc Ink of Joy??

I would say that Pumpkin is definitely not in the category of very dry and so light it's useless. But it's still bright!
    That's it! You are the guru. . Do you have lamy Cooper orange for comparison?
    Last edited by Crazyorange; October 17th, 2015 at 08:01 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 27th, 2015)

Thanks

Do you have lamy Cooper orange for comparison?
    I'm sorry, I don't.

Thanks

Bearing in mind it's Otctober, and Halloween isn't far away, I have revisited Diamine Pumpkin to add some more orange comparison inks that I've obtained. I have no more Montblanc Gandhi, but had a little Ink of Joy left, so I put that one on instead of Gandhi.

The latest scan shows off the colour of Pumpkin better than the previous one did.

Pumpkin is writing just as well as it always did, and is still my favourite orange ink.

For all of those artists who can draw pumpkins, this is the ink to use.
    Last edited by Chrissy; October 16th, 2018 at 10:06 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Ow! My rods and cones! Lol But anyway thanks for the update. That's a cool ink. Reminds me of pics of Apache Sunset in how it shades between red-orange and yellow-orange.

I think I am a fuddy-duddy because I am realizing I only want to write with darker inks. I love a lot of ink colors but for what I do there's just no practical use for cool stuff like this. So I shall live vicariously through your reviews!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 16th, 2018), R.A. Stewart (October 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    ... I am realizing I only want to write with darker inks. I love a lot of ink colors but for what I do there's just no practical use for cool stuff like this. So I shall live vicariously through your reviews!
    That is pretty much my situation too. So if I have an impulse to buy Diamine Pumpkin, I will just have to ...

(sorry)

... squash it.

I enjoyed reading this review nonetheless. Great visuals!
    “We go to the garrick now and become warbs.”--James Thurber

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R.A. Stewart For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 16th, 2018), calamus (October 16th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

That is a really fun color! It's not at all the sort of color I would normally buy, but I just might anyway because it's so cheerful.
    It's just now registered on my barely functioning brain (only a handful of brain cells left to rub together) that you have a very cool form that you use when you do your reviews. Did you design it yourself and print it with laser toner?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    That is a really fun color! It's not at all the sort of color I would normally buy, but I just might anyway because it's so cheerful.
    It's just now registered on my barely functioning brain (only a handful of brain cells left to rub together) that you have a very cool form that you use when you do your reviews. Did you design it yourself and print it with laser toner?
    The review form was originally downloaded as a PDF years ago on the other place. Over time I have tweaked it here and there to make it more "user-friendly" in some parts than it was. For example, for my needs, it didn't need so much room to show the pens, but needed more room for comparison inks. I think they are important. So it has evolved into this current format. I use an old version (6) of Photoshop and move parts about to make it more "user-friendly" for me. The original format had so much empty space that I didn't like. Now it works better.

I used to print it using my laser printer, but that has become old, unreliable and "dirty" so this time I printed it using my HP Photosmart. I notice that the ink has picked up some black ink from the lines here and there, so I need to think of a way to stop that happening next time. Basically, we need a new laser printer....
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens