Thread: Converting Waterman Kultur into an eyedropper?

Thanks

Question Converting Waterman Kultur into an eyedropper?

I guess my main question is - has anyone here done this? I'm new to the idea of altering pens to make them into eyedroppers, and this particular pen has lost it's converter. I already have some silicone grease and some o-rings...

Anyone have advice?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Default Re: Converting Waterman Kultur into an eyedropper?

Why not get another converter?

Thanks

A new converter costs money. I already have supplies on hand to do a conversion, however if it is prudent to buy the converter, I will do so. I was wondering if anyone had tried the conversion and how it went. I don't want to wreck the pen if a conversion will not be a good thing for this particular pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

The only way it would "ruin" the pen is if there are metal parts, specifically those that could rust or corrode, inside the barrel. I don't believe there are, but have never owned a Kulture. If it were the big brother, the Phileas, you definitely wouldn't do it, because there is a brass barrel insert for added weight.

So, barring that, it probably isn't a problem. Just a big mess. A converter is only a couple bucks, and a *lot* less messy. Give it some thought.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Melinda (July 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Thank you for the response. I believe I recognize your username from reddit! You helped me out with my Phileas issue. Haha, thank you once again for your help on all things Waterman.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by butyougotmysoul View Post
    Thank you for the response. I believe I recognize your username from reddit! You helped me out with my Phileas issue. Haha, thank you once again for your help on all things Waterman.
    The least I can do - Phileas was my first "good" fountain pen, many, many, @#%$^ years ago!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

There are no problems turning a kultur into an eyedropper. I've done this with a little silicon grease. I didn't see a need for an o-ring, so that part wasn't attempted. The barrel stores a huge amount of ink, which is great. I have to say though, I eventually switched back to a converter because it became wetter than I wanted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by U56rh View Post
    There are no problems turning a kultur into an eyedropper. I've done this with a little silicon grease. I didn't see a need for an o-ring, so that part wasn't attempted. The barrel stores a huge amount of ink, which is great. I have to say though, I eventually switched back to a converter because it became wetter than I wanted.
    It's interesting that the pen wrote wetter as an eyedropper.

Thanks

Interesting. I’m thinking of possibly doing something similar with a Lady Elsa, which has a very meager ink flow.

Thanks

I have a couple of old eyedroppers that are black hard rubber. The trouble with them is that they write OK for a while, and then at some point in the ink level they start to burp. Topping them off seemed to help, but I don't know if that made sense or was advisable. Silicone grease seemed to be neutral in effect and not a fix. At worst you can clean up the mess.

I have experimented with different inks in the Kulturs I have, using a converter or filling a cartridge via syringe, and I have found that a somewhat wet ink like Sailor dark blue or one of Sailor's purples works better in a Kultur, in a cartridge or in a converter, than drier inks.