Thread: Writing History

Thanks

Default Writing History

Every summer from 1948 through 1960 our family spent my father's two-week vacation at a fishing camp near Campbellford, Ontario. We started doing this when I was 1 year old. It was absolute heaven for a little boy. Sometimes units of the extended family would accompany us. This summer we had a family reunion of sorts and we old timers told fishing stories about the times we spent on the Trent River. It seems that, over the years, these trips had assumed the status of family legend. Nobody had ever written anything down. I was nominated I remember a lot about the subject and have many photographs to include. I expect the project to amount to about 150 handwritten pages or so. So far, I have done 50 of the first draft. Problem is, these families will want typed copies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Default Re: Writing History

Just make sure you keep the handwritten notes as a unique original.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (October 31st, 2015), oldstoat (November 5th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    Every summer from 1948 through 1960 our family spent my father's two-week vacation at a fishing camp near Campbellford, Ontario. We started doing this when I was 1 year old. It was absolute heaven for a little boy. Sometimes units of the extended family would accompany us. This summer we had a family reunion of sorts and we old timers told fishing stories about the times we spent on the Trent River. It seems that, over the years, these trips had assumed the status of family legend. Nobody had ever written anything down. I was nominated I remember a lot about the subject and have many photographs to include. I expect the project to amount to about 150 handwritten pages or so. So far, I have done 50 of the first draft. Problem is, these families will want typed copies.
    My father, who is now 87, did the same thing for his group of fishing/camping buddies after 37 years of trips to Ontario and Quebec! He typed and included photos. Cajole someone into typing for you!

Thanks

Oh yeah! My whole impetus for the project is to write the whole collection of stories on paper in longhand, with either bulletproof ink and italic pen or India ink and pointed dip pen. It is how all of my journals are finally written. I just make a digital copy of selected material for the Philistines. The pictures will be real silver halide photographs I make in my own darkroom.

Darn! These spell-checkers are ignorant, aren't they?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

My father, who is now 87, did the same thing for his group of fishing/camping buddies after 37 years of trips to Ontario and Quebec! He typed and included photos. Cajole someone into typing for you!
    Those guys must have had some fun times.
    Our traditional family destination finally became so civilized we gave up on it in disgust, what with all the paved roads, electricity, and showers (Showers! Can you believe it?) We opted for wilderness canoe trips in Quetico and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. There, you can still catch a fish and have it in the pan in 20 minutes or less, before it begins to stink.