Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It wasn't likely that I'd ever be able to get a MB Hemingway. So, I got one better.

Thanks

Default It wasn't likely that I'd ever be able to get a MB Hemingway. So, I got one better.

I'll do a full review after I've had more time to use it but I wanted to share some of Shawn Newton's most recent work. Some of the pictures were taken by me, others by Shawn. Shawn's photos are being used with his permission.

A while back I had the idea of having Shawn make me a pen like the Hemingway except with solid 14k trim. Shawn was totally up for it and when he and his jeweler started making nibs, he asked if I wanted one. It was a risk - I was the first customer to buy one of these nibs so I had no idea how it would write. I trusted that Shawn would make sure I got nice writing pen. I wasn't disappointed.

All the metal (the nib, and all the trim) are all solid 14k gold.

Writing sample

This is the coolest part: It writes just like a vintage flex nib. It even has the responsiveness of vintage flex and the tines close quickly after letting up on the pressure. Shawn Newton has an amazing thing to offer with these handmade nibs. The ink used in the writing sample is Iroshizuku Ku-jaku. I have a Romillo Essential #9 with a semi-flexible Fine nib coming in a few weeks - I'm really excited to get to compare the two handmade nibs to one another.

Here's a good look at the feed, which Shawn cut by hand out of ebonite.

Handmade Newton nib compared to a Bock nib on an Eboya Kyouka, medium-size.

Comparison with other pens

From top: Romillo Eo #9, Edison Pearl with Karanuri urushi, Shawn Newton custom, Eboya Kyouka - medium-size.

It's a true piston-filler. Shawn makes the piston-filling mechanisms in-house. Here you can see the blind cap unscrewed.
    Last edited by rpsyed; October 30th, 2015 at 05:12 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Crazyorange (October 30th, 2015), da vinci (October 30th, 2015), Dreck (November 8th, 2015), earthdawn (October 30th, 2015), fountainpenkid (October 31st, 2015), Haefennasiel (October 30th, 2015), inklord (October 31st, 2015), Kaputnik (October 31st, 2015), Marsilius (October 31st, 2015), Miss Fountain Pen (October 30th, 2015), mtnbiker62 (October 30th, 2015), Neo (October 30th, 2015), Nom de plume (November 3rd, 2015), Scrawler (November 4th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: It wasn't likely that I'd ever be able to get a MB Hemingway. So, I got one bette

I am envious beyond description!!
    Trying to save the day for the Old World man
    Trying to pave the way for the Third World man

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mtnbiker62 For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (October 30th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Re: It wasn't likely that I'd ever be able to get a MB Hemingway. So, I got one bette

That is one handsome bespoke pen.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow. That nib is awesome.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62 View Post
    I am envious beyond description!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    That is one handsome bespoke pen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post
    Wow. That nib is awesome.
    Thank you all! I just keep writing figure 8's and random words/letters because it's so much fun =]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

That is indeed beautiful pen.

However, there are important details missing from this presentation.

1. What is the ballpark figure for creating such a pen?
    2. What was the deal on the nib? There is nothing on the Newton Pens website that says anything about jeweller-made gold nibs.

The reason that I ask is that my short-list for 'best pen' for me currently has only one model on it, a Pilot 845 FA. Comparisons with custom makers is always useful.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    That is indeed beautiful pen.

However, there are important details missing from this presentation.

1. What is the ballpark figure for creating such a pen?
    2. What was the deal on the nib? There is nothing on the Newton Pens website that says anything about jeweller-made gold nibs.

The reason that I ask is that my short-list for 'best pen' for me currently has only one model on it, a Pilot 845 FA. Comparisons with custom makers is always useful.
    You can find the info that you're asking for here: http://newtonpens.com/prices/

It says that custom handmade 14k nibs are $350+ (in addition to the price of the pen).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

awesome pen.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Silly me, I thought it would be under "Nibs and Grinds". Now wonder I didn't see it. That is a lot of money for a modern nib. So what I would like to see now is a comparison between the nib in the OP and a Pilot FA nib, given that the Pilot is a known entity.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

bluesea (October 31st, 2015), rpsyed (October 30th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

That is a lot of money for a modern nib. So what I would like to see now is a comparison between the nib in the OP and a Pilot FA nib, given that the Pilot is a known entity.
    To be honest, I'd probably not even pursue that line of thinking.

I'm on a feed or two from Shawn Newton, and I'm pretty certain he said this was the first, or one of the first, nibs that he had done. He is working in tandem with a local jeweler. While my guess is that he will still pursue doing these, it is still at the very early stages, and certainly not a production line situation. For hand-done nibs to compare, it might be easier considering a Romillo pen, who do their own nibs.

In terms of this pen, I believe that the cost is not the main point. While the literal amount might be a constraint or not, the point of this pen is that it is unique (well, except for mimicing the Hemingway). The OP now has a pen that no one else does, made strictly to his desires and tastes. I think it would be hard to put anything but a very subjective price tag on a purchase like this. This is one of those things you end up getting because you can, and because you want to.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Buster99 (October 31st, 2015), Chrissy (October 30th, 2015), Crazyorange (October 30th, 2015), Dreck (November 8th, 2015), Empty_of_Clouds (October 30th, 2015), franzdimson (October 31st, 2015), Haefennasiel (October 30th, 2015), rpsyed (October 30th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Yeah, a 100% hand made nib compare to a Pilot nib? That's not a really accurate comparison. Would love ot try one of these, if Shawn and his jeweler can really make modern nibs that compare to vintage flex that changes the whole game.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (October 30th, 2015), rpsyed (October 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Fair enough.

With regard to cost of a custom pen, I have no beef at all, and I like what I see coming out of the various independent artisans. I expect (and accept) that the craftsmanship is very high, and that when it comes to design this is essentially a matter of personal taste, but the nib comparison is still a legitimate question, especially for those who cannot access these things for first hand examination.

Modern flexible nibs are not exactly thick on the ground right now. We have, for example, the Pilot Fa, Romillo, and Noodler's offerings. Beyond that there are various nibmeisters performing customisations on stock nibs. I haven't heard of anyone else making flexible fountain pen nibs from scratch, although I am not really the most well-informed of people so I may have missed some out. Talking about flex rather than simple springiness or softness.

Please note I am not criticising anything here. As someone interested in flexible pens, and who will never be able to afford the sky high vintage prices, when reports are put out of the making of a modern version, well, I'm listening.

Didn't know this was all at the early stages. I hope that it takes off!

Edit

Yeah, a 100% hand made nib compare to a Pilot nib? That's not a really accurate comparison. Would love ot try one of these, if Shawn and his jeweler can really make modern nibs that compare to vintage flex that changes the whole game.
    The comparison I asked for has nothing to do with handmade versus production made, it is referring to the writing characteristics which, after all is said and done, is the most important thing for me.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; October 30th, 2015 at 05:10 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 30th, 2015), rpsyed (October 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Jon explained it better than I could. This is only the second nib Shawn and his jeweler have made - one was a test nib and mine was the first for a customer. It ending up really flexy wasn't actually intended. They just made a nib and when Shawn was cutting the feed and getting it all set up, he realized it was flexy. Though it kind of makes sense in retrospect that it would be flexible from looking at the shape and length of the tines. The nib costs, as Miss Fountain Pen said, $350 on top of the base price of $225. Then $30 for the feed, since it has to be cut by hand and set into the section. You can get a simple eyedropper-filling pen from Shawn with the handmade nib for roughly $600 but if you just want the best flex nib you can get for the money, getting a vintage Waterman, Moore, or Mabie Todd from Peyton Street Pens, Mauricio Aguilar, David Nishimura, or Sarj Minhas is probably the safest bet.
    Last edited by rpsyed; October 31st, 2015 at 02:35 PM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (October 30th, 2015), Jon Szanto (October 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Indeed, but vintage prices today are a poor reflection of what they cost back in their own era. I hope that if someone reinvents the flexible wheel - so to speak - that prices will become more manageable rather than staying in lock-step with the inflated vintage prices.

As, I note previously, I am all for this. Please do not take any of this as knocking your pen or Shawn Newton's designs (which I also like but cannot afford, but that's a separate personal issue).

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Awesome pen !!!

Beautiful from every angle !

Wow wow & wow .... Congrats !

29. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Indeed, but vintage prices today are a poor reflection of what they cost back in their own era. I hope that if someone reinvents the flexible wheel - so to speak - that prices will become more manageable rather than staying in lock-step with the inflated vintage prices.

As, I note previously, I am all for this. Please do not take any of this as knocking your pen or Shawn Newton's designs (which I also like but cannot afford, but that's a separate personal issue).
    True, pricing on some vintage pens has gotten insane. But I think there are still some good deals to be had. My first vintage flex pen was a Morrison from Peyton Street Pens that cost, I think $120. That nib was fantastic - it opened up to around 2 mm easily and was nearly a wet noodle, in regards to softness. If you're okay with a pen from one of the smaller names and aren't picky about size and condition, I think you can get what you want for under $150. Easily under $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post
    Awesome pen !!!

Beautiful from every angle !

Wow wow & wow .... Congrats !
    Thank you!!

Thanks

I'm not sure that there is a a sufficient market for re-inventing flex nibs that are both the caliber and cost of the nibs of old. The vintage market is a strong alternative, often superior in both cost and quality.

If one is looking for cheap vintage flex, the best would probably be a Waterman 52 1/2 V or a Swan with a #1 or #2 nib. These can be had for under $100 and definitely hold their value well. The vintage market has plenty of pens for those who don't care for collectibility or aesthetics as much as usability and flex.

I am not vouching for the following auctions, so buyer beware, but these are good examples of, in my opinion, the best value for money when it comes to vintage flex.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARD-RUBBE...cAAOSwT5tWMPTn

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mabie-Todd...kAAOSw5VFWJ5Xq
    Last edited by ChrisC; October 30th, 2015 at 07:42 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

dannzeman (October 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Hmm, I have had several Mabie Todd pens but none of them have had a nib that I really like - looking for a very flexible fine or extra fine. Waterman 521/2V is too small for me. I use flexible dip pens on a regular basis, so I am not exactly new to the idea of using flex.

You are probably right about the sufficiency of the market, although if someone could do it they would make a quick killing!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

That is stunning! Did you have a say in the nib design, and if so, can other shapes (i.e with different proportions, breather holes...) be made?
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (October 31st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Another option Shawn offers, because he cuts his own feeds is making a pen and feed for your vintage flex nib. (And I would love to see a review comparing this nib to various vintage flex nibs. The modern nibs that get called "flex" today aren't. They're soft or springy but they aren't flex the way vintage flex is flex in terms of snap back, the way the tines spread vs bend away from the feed, etc.)

I have a vintage full flex music nib. It has needed a worthy home for a long time, ended up living in a broken Waterman 94 body for a while, but that worked so poorly that i never used it. I sent it to Shawn this year because he's the only pen maker around who seemed comfortable designing a section for a one off nib and if necessary cutting a feed for it. (I have a feed so that didn't end up being necessary). So if you DO have a wonderful flex nib Shawn is a good option for getting it set and writing again. When mine arrives (he's making it as I type) I'll do a full review.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Buster99 (October 31st, 2015), Crazyorange (October 31st, 2015), Empty_of_Clouds (October 31st, 2015), Jon Szanto (October 31st, 2015), rpsyed (October 31st, 2015)