Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It wasn't likely that I'd ever be able to get a MB Hemingway. So, I got one better.

Thanks

Default Re: It wasn't likely that I'd ever be able to get a MB Hemingway. So, I got one bette

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    That is stunning! Did you have a say in the nib design, and if so, can other shapes (i.e with different proportions, breather holes...) be made?
    I didn't many any requests as far as that, though I think could have. When me and Shawn were discussing what nib would go in the pen (other options were a JoWo #8, which was in my first Newton pen or a Bock #8, if I could source one), he sent me this picture when the nib had just been made but hadn't had it's slit cut or breather hole drilled.

My initial reaction was, "I want that beautiful thing in my pen!" I imagine I could have asked for the breather hole to be made higher up so the tines were shorter and the nib was stiffer, though. I just wanted a nib that would be large enough to look proportionate for the pen. This nib is MB 149 size roughly, so it worked perfectly. It being flexible was just the icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Another option Shawn offers, because he cuts his own feeds is making a pen and feed for your vintage flex nib. (And I would love to see a review comparing this nib to various vintage flex nibs. The modern nibs that get called "flex" today aren't. They're soft or springy but they aren't flex the way vintage flex is flex in terms of snap back, the way the tines spread vs bend away from the feed, etc.)

I have a vintage full flex music nib. It has needed a worthy home for a long time, ended up living in a broken Waterman 94 body for a while, but that worked so poorly that i never used it. I sent it to Shawn this year because he's the only pen maker around who seemed comfortable designing a section for a one off nib and if necessary cutting a feed for it. (I have a feed so that didn't end up being necessary). So if you DO have a wonderful flex nib Shawn is a good option for getting it set and writing again. When mine arrives (he's making it as I type) I'll do a full review.
    I saw that on Instagram! It looked awesome. Can't wait to read your review of it. I'd love to source a vintage music nib one day ... though I wonder if Shawn and his jeweler could make one ... this line of thinking could end up being very expensive.
    Last edited by rpsyed; November 2nd, 2015 at 11:07 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (October 31st, 2015), penwash (October 31st, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: It wasn't likely that I'd ever be able to get a MB Hemingway. So, I got one bette

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Silly me, I thought it would be under "Nibs and Grinds". Now wonder I didn't see it. That is a lot of money for a modern nib. So what I would like to see now is a comparison between the nib in the OP and a Pilot FA nib, given that the Pilot is a known entity.
    Known, yes. Now, regarding a pen invoking the visual characteristics of a MB Hemingway, you want to compare it to an Asian pen. It would make more sense to compare it to a Montblanc or Pelikan rather than that Pilot stuff. Better also to compare the pen in the OP's nib to an American nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Now, regarding a pen invoking the visual characteristics of a MB Hemingway, you want to compare it to an Asian pen. It would make more sense to compare it to a Montblanc or Pelikan rather than that Pilot stuff. Better also to compare the pen in the OP's nib to an American nib.
    Actually I never suggested comparing the pen with an Asian pen. I was talking ONLY about the nib, and from the perspective of writing characteristic not aesthetics. As for "that Pilot stuff"
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; October 31st, 2015 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rpsyed View Post
    I didn't many any requests as far as that, though I think could have. When me and Shawn were discussing what nib would go in the pen (other options were a JoWo #8, which was in my pen or a Bock #8, if I could source one), he sent me this picture when the nib had just been made but hadn't had it's slit cut or breather hole driller.

My initialy reaction was, "I want that beautiful thing in my pen!" I imagine I could have asked for the breather hole to be made higher up so the tines were shorter and the nib was stiffer, though. I just wanted a nib that would be large enough to look proportionate for the pen. This nib is MB 149 size roughly, so it worked perfectly. It being flexible was just the icing on the cake.

Another option Shawn offers, because he cuts his own feeds is making a pen and feed for your vintage flex nib. (And I would love to see a review comparing this nib to various vintage flex nibs. The modern nibs that get called "flex" today aren't. They're soft or springy but they aren't flex the way vintage flex is flex in terms of snap back, the way the tines spread vs bend away from the feed, etc.)

I have a vintage full flex music nib. It has needed a worthy home for a long time, ended up living in a broken Waterman 94 body for a while, but that worked so poorly that i never used it. I sent it to Shawn this year because he's the only pen maker around who seemed comfortable designing a section for a one off nib and if necessary cutting a feed for it. (I have a feed so that didn't end up being necessary). So if you DO have a wonderful flex nib Shawn is a good option for getting it set and writing again. When mine arrives (he's making it as I type) I'll do a full review.
    I saw that on Instagram! It looked awesome. Can't wait to read your review of it. I'd love to source a vintage music nib one day ... though I wonder if Shawn and his jeweler could make one ... this line of thinking could end up being very expensive.
    Actually after using mine that's EXACTLY what he went off and asked his jeweler.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (October 31st, 2015)

Thanks

Actually after using mine that's EXACTLY what he went off and asked his jeweler.
    Ooh, sweet! I can't wait to see what that will be like.

Thanks

I wonder if Shawn could make a smaller nib. That one is really attractive, but it could only go into a fat pen (or so I would imagine), and I find fat pens uncomfortable to write with. It would be quite something to get an artisan-made nib, though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (November 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post
    I wonder if Shawn could make a smaller nib. That one is really attractive, but it could only go into a fat pen (or so I would imagine), and I find fat pens uncomfortable to write with. It would be quite something to get an artisan-made nib, though.
    I believe he (or rather, his jeweler) can! Someone posted on FPN that after seeing my post there that they ordered a pen from Shawn with a custom nib but a smaller size nib. The nib is really interesting and quite unique - tons of personality in it's appearance and writing characteristics.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

Miss Fountain Pen (November 8th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpsyed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post
    I believe he (or rather, his jeweler) can! Someone posted on FPN that after seeing my post there that they ordered a pen from Shawn with a custom nib but a smaller size nib. The nib is really interesting and quite unique - tons of personality in it's appearance and writing characteristics.
    Good to know! This is something I'll keep in the back of my mind. I don't think I'll be ordering in the near future (I'm still preparing to buy that Nakaya with an oblique nib; still negotiating the specifics with myself ), but I'll definitely keep Shawn's pens+nib in the back of my mind. One day!