Thread: Greetings all!

Thanks

Default Greetings all!

Hello everyone! Finally joining a forum for my growing addiction. Figured what better time than Fountain Pen Day Eve, haha.

I'm currently living in Southern California, finishing a PhD in Chemistry. Not sure where I'll go next... probably not SoCal anymore.

Started using fountain pens about 6 months ago (wish I would have started sooner!). Really enjoy them and I have a slight addictive quality to my personality and quickly develop collections of things and what-not. Into tobacco pipes too (anyone else?).

I've got several pens already, my current favorites that stay inked:
    1) Pilot Custom 74, gold and black, SFM nib, really nice pen that I got for a great price. Inked with sailor yama-dori
    2) Faber Castell Loom, blue and matte metal finish, broad nib, love the pen, so smooth and a great heft. Also yama-dori
    3) Edison Nouveau Premier, Midnight Thunder finish from Goulet, broad steel nib, also super smooth and loved the finish! My first "next level pen", inked with diamine majestic blue (perfect match for the pen with the dark blue and purpley-red sheen!)
    4) Monteverde Color Fusion Invincia, Black, Goulet broad steel nib, again a pen with great heft, got this one on a sale and really enjoy it. Inked with diamine sherwood green
    5) Delta Journal, red pearlized, medium fusion nib, this one was dry and scratchy at first but I got smoothed it and really gently opened the tines a bit, now it's quickly becoming one of my favorites. Also got a fantastic deal on this one! Inked with Noodler's antietam.
    6) Vintage waterman 92, gray/black/red speckled, #2 flex nib. Fixed this one up myself (thoroughly cleaned, polished, replaced sac, straightened tines, set nib to feed) Writes nicely now. Inked with diamine majestic blue

That's all I'll mention now as those are the ones I use most frequently. Other than a pilot metro that I use to write in my lab notebook using bulletproof inks from Noodlers, that one I suppose I technically use the most, haha.

I won't even get into inks...I have lots already. My top for now, Diamine: sherwood green, Noodler's: Antietam, and Sailor: Yama-Dori or Diamine: Majestic Blue

I've got my eye on a few Visconti pens now as my next "real deal" pen (as far as premium brands anyway), hoping to get a great deal tomorrow! Have yet to spend more than $150 on a pen (looking at the Edison there) so this one will be my first really big expense.

I'm trying to learn to not just buy any pen I think looks nice, but focus my attention (and wallet) on a particular pen or two that I can set a goal towards. Otherwise I'll just be buying on impulse which on a grad student budget just won't end well... I've also learned that I love a big, juicy nib so I lean towards medium at slightest but broads are my nib of choice.

Anyway, wanted to say hi and list a few pens I have. See everyone around the forum! Let me know if you have a question about my pens, inks, grad school, or chemistry!
    Last edited by chemguyethan; November 6th, 2015 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Error

Thanks

Default Re: Greetings all!

Welcome. Sounds like you have a great collection already. Good luck with the PhD. Remember to get plenty of rest and stay hydrated while working on it.
    I can tell where I'm not wanted.

Someday that'll be on my tombstone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nospam666 For This Useful Post:

chemguyethan (November 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Chemguyethan......welcome....lots of nice and knowledgeable people here.......enjoy....Walt

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Waltman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for all the welcomes! And happy fountain pen day!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Welcome!

1. Nice handwriting, which pen was used?
    2. Nice collection for 6-month
    3. Good luck with your PhD, move to Texas, we can always use another good chemist
    4. Speaking about chemistry, maybe you can develop a line of beautiful-colored-waterproof -ink that is fountain pen friendly for watercolor and pen drawings

Thanks

Thanks!

1. The handwriting was with the Waterman 92, which you can see on the far left next to a Noodler's Neponset (which I still haven't gotten to write quite how I'd like yet). Written in diamine majestic blue.
    Here's another example with the same pen using diamine meadow ink, and a closer shot of the nib.

2. Thanks again, I do have more, just ones that I've previously bought on impulse/sale and don't really use. Need to get rid of them, haha.
    3. Well I'll admit Texas currently isn't on the radar, but hey once I'm looking for jobs (need to do a post-doc first), who knows!
    4. I'm hoping to mess around with some of the bulletproof inks from Noodler's. I currently use Lexington Grey in my pen for my lab notebook. And that one fits to the bulletproof claim, I've tried 8 different solvents and the only one that made it flinch was DMSO (which will dissolve damn near anything as it is) so it's an incredibly robust ink. Though the grey is a bit boring after a while, I liked it initially cause it looks like pencil lead, but now I want something different. I ordered some Noodler's Polar Blue, which should be in today, so I'll test that out as well.

Seems like they're doing a good job there at Noodler's developing inks that are sturdy and working on adding more colors to that mix, not just black like most permanent inks, which I greatly appreciate.
    Last edited by chemguyethan; November 6th, 2015 at 12:22 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chemguyethan For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (November 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Welcome.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Microphones are used in many applications such as telephones, hearing aids, public address systems for concert halls and public events, motion picture production, live and recorded audio engineering, sound recording, two-way radios, megaphones, and radio and television broadcasting. The most common type of microphone transducer is the electret condenser. Electret condensers are built as high-end studio and film mics, cheap consumer mics, and are by far the most common mic in electronic devices cellphones, laptops, hearing aids, etc. Get more information mic test for android

Thanks
    Thanked 10,471 Times in 4,007 Posts

Spammer resurrection reported

Please note original thread year was 2015
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have a great day!!

Roger