Thread: Gate City Pens Belmont with a Flex Nib versus a Vintage?

Thanks

Default Gate City Pens Belmont with a Flex Nib versus a Vintage?

I'm wondering what the differences are between purchasing a new Belmont with a flex nib versus getting an older flex nibbed pen either on eBay or at a pen show (yes, I know the risks of eBay and I know that pen shows are better -- it all boils down to opportunity). Please give me your opinions!

Is Richard Binder still grinding nibs and tending to the flex nibs for Gate City or has he retired from that?

Is more pressure required to flex the Gate City nib than a vintage nib?

I'm a relative newbie to flex pens. I bought one of the Noodler's flex pens but gave it to a friend of mine because it was a hard starter despite my tinkering. I ground "angel wings" into a Fountain Pen Revolution flex nib and put that onto my TWSBI 530. It's okay but I find the nib very toothy and I think it requires too much pressure to flex.

I'm a fan of smooth, springy nibs which tend more towards fine but I'm learning to appreciate the larger tipped nibs. In your opinions, would a Gate City Belmont with a flex nib work for someone like me? Or shall I take the plunge with a vintage?

Thanks

Default Re: Gate City Pens Belmont with a Flex Nib versus a Vintage?

I've never owned or used a full-flex vintage pen, only semi-flex. I do, however, own a Belmont with a full-flex nib by Richard Binder. Linda and Mike Kennedy at Indy-Pen-Dance are still offering Richard's full-flex nibs. The pen is a recent purchase, but I've had it long enough to realize that there is an obvious difference between semi-flex and full-flex.

If you are a relative newbie to flex pens, you'd probably be better off getting more experience with softer and semi-flex nibs. I'd say the Binder full-flex nib and Noodler's nibs are apples and oranges, but apples and oranges are at least both fruits. ;-D I guess the Binder full-flex and Noodler's are both nibs, but the difference between the two is great.

It is rather easy to get the tines out of alignment on the Binder full-flex nib, and not too much harder to permanently damage it. I know some vintage full-flex pens can be had at very reasonable prices at ebay or here and other pen boards. Considering what a Belmont with a full-flex nib costs, that might be another reason to get a vintage flex pen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zhivago For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (March 10th, 2023)

Thanks

Ingram is an internet-based web device that allows you to download Instagram photographs, videos, reels, and IGTV recordings. Ingram is intended to be not difficult to use on any gadget, like a cell phone, tablet, or PC. Ig-downloader is best to use downloder insta video and get more info download video from instagram.

Thanks

I'm sad I sold my Belmont. A very cool little pen.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks

A MIC is generally regarded as the most basic laboratory measurement of the activity of an antimicrobial agent against an organism. Because a lower MIC value indicates that less of the drug is required to inhibit the growth of the organism, drugs with lower MIC scores are more effective antimicrobial agents. Currently, there are a few web-based, freely accessible MIC databases. Get more information
    mic test iphone

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

This is a more sophisticated spammer. Look at his/her other posts. Is this AI learning?