Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: WHERE IS ERIC?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: WHERE IS ERIC?

Quote Originally Posted by PeppWaves03 View Post
    I think with the recent news on fpgeek we all need to be asking this question again: where is Eric????
    I don't give a shit *where* he is. I want him to come in here, to this community he started up (and then apparently walked away from) and explain just precisely why all the turmoil, and what it means for the future of this forum.

ETA: I've 'struck out' my comment above, but left it in place to not whitewash my own thoughts. I really don't wish ill on Eric, as I don't know him personally. I don't consider any of this as a personal issue, but one of responsibility to this community. I hope this makes that more clear.

2nd ETA: Since I have posted this, Eric has posted in another thread, with a bit of explanation.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 6th, 2015 at 05:13 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 7th, 2015), Potter (March 6th, 2015), reprieve (March 6th, 2015), snedwos (March 6th, 2015), tandaina (March 6th, 2015), writingrav (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

I heard he recently fled to Cuba because of all the outragous stories on this thread and as soon as he can get internet service, he will defect to one of the other pen forums under an alias that no one can figure out. I hpoe he likes the cigars.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I think with the recent news on fpgeek we all need to be asking this question again: where is Eric????
    I don't give a shit *where* he is. I want him to come in here, to this community he started up (and then apparently walked away from) and explain just precisely why all the turmoil, and what it means for the future of this forum.

ETA: I've 'struck out' my comment above, but left it in place to not whitewash my own thoughts. I really don't wish ill on Eric, as I don't know him personally. I don't consider any of this as a personal issue, but one of responsibility to this community. I hope this makes that more clear.
    What's the big deal, really? People go away and come back all the time. Where's the shrug button?

It's just an internet chat forum about fountain pens. Which was only interrupted briefly, for less time than many of my power outages.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

top pen (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I heard he recently fled to Cuba because of all the outragous stories on this thread and as soon as he can get internet service, he will defect to one of the other pen forums under an alias that no one can figure out. I hpoe he likes the cigars.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

What's the big deal, really? People go away and come back all the time. Where's the shrug button?

It's just an internet chat forum about fountain pens. Which was only interrupted briefly, for less time than many of my power outages.
    Yes, but you always know that the power is going to come back.

Also, for those of us who have been here since the beginning, the thought of a rift between Dan and Eric is upsetting, quite frankly.

I missed Eric's presence, and to have his return be in this fashion...
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to snedwos For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post

Also, for those of us who have been here since the beginning, the thought of a rift between Dan and Eric is upsetting, quite frankly.

oh, come on. This has given all the gossip mongers something to chew on semi-publicly. Or wave their internet-angst on a digital flag.

most of this should go to pm's, since it is none of our business, really. Talk amongst yourselves (I don't mean *you* in particular) only privately, and honor Eric's request for ideas on how to structure the site moving forward. Stay out of other people's private business unless you are asked for help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

oh, come on. This has given all the gossip mongers something to chew on semi-publicly. Or wave their internet-angst on a digital flag.

most of this should go to pm's, since it is none of our business, really. Talk amongst yourselves (I don't mean *you* in particular) only privately, and honor Eric's request for ideas on how to structure the site moving forward. Stay out of other people's private business unless you are asked for help.
    If the place is not important to you ("its just an internet chat forum"; "shrug"), and you don't like the people here ("gossip mongers"), and you don't want the future of the forum discussed ("none of our business"), why are you here on this thread? Why do you get to tell committed members what they can discuss? Why criticize and demean people who are expressing their feelings about a place that is important to them?

If this attitude is going to be the tenor of the new FPG forum, I predict people will not be happy here. So there's no need to worry about "how to structure the site," because it will be just a few disinterested folks showing up every once in a while.

Eric has asked for ideas -- on the website -- and he seems to be reading people's posts. He isn't telling people to shut up. My advice, if he reads this, would be the opposite of yours. I'd advise him to listen to the people with the most attachment to the site, who have contributed the most, who have a real stake in this place. The people who care about the forum, who were upset by losing it, who've been here a while and post a lot -- that's the community. They are the people to listen to. They make the forum.

JMHO.

12. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Art (March 6th, 2015), Chemyst (November 10th, 2017), Chrissy (March 7th, 2015), conib (March 7th, 2015), Crazyorange (March 6th, 2015), ethernautrix (March 6th, 2015), fountainpenkid (March 6th, 2015), fpquest (March 6th, 2015), Hawk (March 6th, 2015), Holsworth (March 7th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 6th, 2015), kaisnowbird (April 3rd, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2015), Morgaine (March 6th, 2015), mustud52 (March 7th, 2015), Neo (March 6th, 2015), picautomaton (March 7th, 2015), reprieve (March 6th, 2015), sharmon202 (March 6th, 2015), snedwos (March 6th, 2015), tandaina (March 6th, 2015), TerraNoir (March 6th, 2015), Xina (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Well said, Laura. I would have added "blow it out your ass", but I'm in a cranky mood with all this forum drama stuff surging in my veins. I'm so volatile.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (March 7th, 2015), Chemyst (November 10th, 2017), Holsworth (March 7th, 2015), reprieve (March 6th, 2015), sharmon202 (March 6th, 2015), TerraNoir (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Thank you Laura....beautifully put. Though I also like Jon's blow it out your ass addition.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Holsworth (March 7th, 2015), reprieve (March 6th, 2015), TerraNoir (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    Thank you Laura....beautifully put. Though I also like Jon's blow it out your ass addition.
    Ditto

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (November 10th, 2017)

Thanks

Haha... it takes a village. I swear, I'd make the world's worst diplomat, but it sure would be fun while it lasted!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Haha... it takes a village. I swear, I'd make the world's worst diplomat, but it sure would be fun while it lasted!

Please don't start WWIII

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Where's the spam mobile when we need it?

Thanks

Default WHERE IS ERIC?

Last edited by lsmith42; March 12th, 2015 at 09:22 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to lsmith42 For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 6th, 2015), Morgaine (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks

As a group we haven't lost our humor.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (November 10th, 2017), Jon Szanto (March 6th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2015), Scrawler (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith42 View Post
    I vote for wild conjecture... I kindv liked the running off to Cuba story... but we can do better!
    Will you explain to me what part of the forum is missing when we gather for the Posse?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post

If the place is not important to you ("its just an internet chat forum"; "shrug"), and you don't like the people here ("gossip mongers"), and you don't want the future of the forum discussed ("none of our business"), why are you here on this thread? Why do you get to tell committed members what they can discuss? Why criticize and demean people who are expressing their feelings about a place that is important to them?

If this attitude is going to be the tenor of the new FPG forum, I predict people will not be happy here. So there's no need to worry about "how to structure the site," because it will be just a few disinterested folks showing up every once in a while.

Eric has asked for ideas -- on the website -- and he seems to be reading people's posts. He isn't telling people to shut up. My advice, if he reads this, would be the opposite of yours. I'd advise him to listen to the people with the most attachment to the site, who have contributed the most, who have a real stake in this place. The people who care about the forum, who were upset by losing it, who've been here a while and post a lot -- that's the community. They are the people to listen to. They make the forum.

JMHO.
    That's no humble opinion. It's a very good opinion

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (November 10th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post

JMHO.
    I guess I have as much right as the folks who have been swearing and calling Eric names. One poster even went so far as to try to publicly "shame" people (an effort doomed to failure, because it only shows the misplaced anger of the poster).

You are all entitled to your feelings and opinions. I am simply disagreeing with them (I assume there is no requirement of conformity here). This thread had a good bit of anger and scuttlebutt before I posted.

I am NOT trying to tell anyone what they "can" or "cannot" write. That would be a foolish endeavor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

As a group we haven't lost our humor.
    If that were to happen, in my case anyway, it would mean I have passed on into the inky void.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 7th, 2015)