Thread: Care when locating your ink bottles.

Thanks

Default Care when locating your ink bottles.

I recently put some shelves up above my computer screens on my desk. I wanted to store my inks and pen boxes on them so that I could reach them easily and at the same time clear some space on my desk.
    A couple of Mondays ago sitting at my desk, I suddenly felt this searing pain like I had been stung. I got up and within a few seconds fell over feeling totally awful. I was out for about 15 mins and then when I came around my wife told me that she had noticed a couple of holes and it seemed that I must have been bitten. Anyway, this bit got really sore and blew up like a golf ball under the skin and the bite mark was very strange.... Heat, throbbing, sore etc... A couple of days later I was sat at my desk doing the same kind of things and had pulled a bottle of ink down to refill a pen.. Suddenly the pain was there again lower down my other arm on my wrist and this time I reacted quickly slapping the pain. There was the the culprit... A Michigan Black Widow spider... !!

It appears that when I was drilling I upset the nest in the wall, it's very warm in the room because of all the computer and network equipment. Living in the US now we have stud walling and so empty spaces behind the walls. So the first time he bit and got me, but the second time, he dropped on my wrist and bit into the skin above the bone, hence why I was not affected as badly. The doctor told me that they sometimes bite to warn and don't inject the venom, which could be why the second bite didn't affect me so badly. It could also be because of the bone. Then it hit me, I remembered the first time I was bitten I was also re-filling my pen. The spider had obviously taken a fancy to my ink bottles and was sat on top. Each time I reached up and grabbed a bottle the spider fell off the bottle onto my arm and the rest was history.

I am told everyone reacts differently to these bites and really don't know a lot about spiders. I do know I wasn't aware that Black Widow spiders live in Michigan. Apparently there is also a Brown Recluse that is much more rare but has a much more venomous bite. My doctor was quite numerous about the hole thing, and as I take a substantial level of pain killer every day because of medical problems she told me the spider probably had a good last few seconds before I clumped it....

The ink bottles don't live on the shelf anymore and I don't reach up to take anything without looking first. Every little touch to my skin makes me wince at the moment. I am sure that will calm down..... I had a bunch of things on the shelves.... I wonder what drew the spider to the ink bottles....shiney surface of the glass perhaps? Anyone had trouble with spiders and ink before?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ainterne For This Useful Post:

Cob (February 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Default Re: Care when locating your ink bottles.

Yikes! Do take care.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Are you going to have an exterminator come in to clean the nest from the house? Best wishes for a quick recovery.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (February 21st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Say what? I grew up in Michigan and black widows never lived there. It's too cold for them. Brow recluse moved in about 10 to 15 years ago (we didn't have them as kids either). I'd get an exterminator out pronto, but I'd be more concerned where it got to the house in the first place. Never heard of a black widow in MI except coming in say in a load of bananas!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Say what? I grew up in Michigan and black widows never lived there. It's too cold for them. Brow recluse moved in about 10 to 15 years ago (we didn't have them as kids either). I'd get an exterminator out pronto, but I'd be more concerned where it got to the house in the first place. Never heard of a black widow in MI except coming in say in a load of bananas!
    The Northern Black Widow spider is becoming more common in the southwestern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan. It was reported in the past that they were very rare but that no longer seems to be the case.

They live in warm dry spaces. Normally they like to be quite and undisturbed. My computer room is very warm because of all the computer equipment the 3 screens are all 29 inch and give out a lot of heat against the wall. It's that wall which is external that I put the shelves up on.

The Brown Recluse has a much worse bite. Recently a friend of my son was bitten and his whole arm was infected and totally swollen. It did a lot of damage.

Yesterday I was given antibiotics for my bite as there is about a 1 inch circle around the bite that is still very red. The bite is now a gouge about 1 inch long and .25 inch wide. My doctor measured the bite mark as said that they are starting to build a collection of data quite rapidly recently. The bites for some people can be pretty harmful, if not because of the risk of death to the old etc....but for the damage the toxin does to the flesh around the bite. UFM know all about them and the increasing numbers.

The Brown Recluse unlike the Black Widow is not native to Michigan and can't survive less than 40°F....so they seek out warm dark locations also. Your right though that they started getting here in bananas, that seems to be the common thought..

I don't think that it's particularly hard for spider to get it to a house....lol..and they don't move around in packs of 100's so I think we will be ok...:-)..... This year though I will be putting down the ring of security around the house, but that will never stop them being carried in somehow or through and open window in the summer. This one I suspect has been in the wall for some time during the winter, I obviously disturbed it and it must have got though the holes I drilled ready for the
    Wall Anchors.

Thanks

We had brown recluse in Missouri growing up and in Georgia they were around a lot. I knew a guy who got a brown recluse bite and was dealing with it for almost a year. On the flip side in Georgia they would give shots for them and one guy got bit so many times he basically became immune. I think they counted like 9 bites in 10 or 11 weeks.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

Thanks

Glad you are ok and thanks for he heads up!!

Thanks

Makes me glad I live in the UK, the only thing round here with a nasty bite is the neighbours wife!
    We look forward to the time when the power of love will replace the love of power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chojo For This Useful Post:

Hawk (March 29th, 2015), Morgaine (February 20th, 2015), top pen (March 29th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chojo View Post
    Makes me glad I live in the UK, the only thing round here with a nasty bite is the neighbours wife!
    That's what you think! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-15182118
    Holly
    ------
    Twitter: @Holsworth
    Instagram: @Holsworth
    Blog: beansandtoast

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

You have forgotten HMRC, the TV licence people and the parking fascists haven't you!

Cob

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Morgaine (February 20th, 2015), top pen (March 29th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Ergh! In August, I spray all the obvious entries to the house I can think of with Spider Nuke. It has really helped keep down the emigration to indoors once the weather begins cooling off. I once had a recluse snacking on my leg for several nights in a row until I fugured out what was going on. I came at it with the vacume and it reared up to fight me!

The horror!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Oh people, come to the tropics. We have so many nasty things here - brown widows, black widows, brown recluse (commonly known as a fiddleback), and even if they are not venomous can cause bad infections if the have bacteria on them and they often do (I had a very scary infection from the bite of a big wolf spider I startled and the punctures were huge). As mobile as our society has become, these nasty critters are spreading everywhere and adapt quickly. I am sorry for your discomfort and am so relieved you did not have a more significant reaction. Gracious, that is such a wild story! Take good care of yourself and probably good practice across the board to look before you reach. I learned that here the scary way, not as much inside as out, but so many little things find their way to warmth when it is cold, dry when it is wet, and cool when it is hot. They are creative and resourceful. And ink lovers, clearly. Like little hairy legged bottle guards.

gregamckinney

I think that to honor this experience, the OP should commission a custom inkwell with a spider stopper-top.
    greg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Ergh! In August, I spray all the obvious entries to the house I can think of with Spider Nuke. It has really helped keep down the emigration to indoors once the weather begins cooling off. I once had a recluse snacking on my leg for several nights in a row until I fugured out what was going on. I came at it with the vacume and it reared up to fight me!

The horror!
    Wow....just wow....a Recluse snaking from you? So the doctor told me the Widow can bite without injecting venom as a warning shot. What was the Recluse doing to your leg? What does snacking mean? holes in the skin or did it actually bite with venom?

My bite is just only has started scaring over a tiny bit. It was much more red around the bite and hot... it would not scar over, but is just starting to now, I think the antibiotics are taking effect.... I can't imagine what the recluse did to you...!...

I was going to put a pic of my arm bite here, but not sure if it's appropriate to show it on here (its in my photo's if you want to see it) ... Thanks though to those that have said kind words...

Phil...
    Last edited by ainterne; February 20th, 2015 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks

Fumigate!! Sorry you had to go through this.
    Kent

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holsworth View Post
    They won't come this far north our house spiders are too big and won't tolerate strangers on their patch!
    We look forward to the time when the power of love will replace the love of power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.

Thanks

How are you doing Ainterne?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

This is terrible to learn. I hope you are alright and have not had any permanent damage. I am beginning to appreciate the extreme cold where I live. I have heard that the migration of exotic spiders has been facilitated by the transport of bananas.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Holsworth View Post
    They won't come this far north our house spiders are too big and won't tolerate strangers on their patch!
    There is something to this. Brown recluse at least, the best defense against them in the Northern US is a good strong population of basic house spiders (sadly I don't remember which ones these are, maybe wolf?) which *will* kill and eat the recluse. They were telling folks to *not* get their houses bug bombed as that kills the good spiders and allows the recluse to move in and take over unchallenged.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Xina (March 31st, 2015)