Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fountain Pen confessions

Thanks

Default Re: Fountain Pen confessions

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I've never been able to get past the butt ugly clips on so many Visconti pens.

The Lamy 2000 was utterly boring, but reliable so I gave it to a friend. He sold it about a month later.

Sailor pens do nothing for me. Pilot nibs are often acceptable but never interesting.
    Whoa, that's quite a bag full...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I am going to confess that I am kind of "meh" about Nakaya pens.
    I can relate. I wonder if there's a strong negative correlation with liking the Montblanc 146 very much. I think Nakayas are nice to look at, anyway, as works of art. As pens, given that I assume posting a Nakaya is not a normal thing to do, they are a good segue into my confession.

I almost always post. I actually do always want to post. If I don't post, it's only because I'm in a hurry or trying to treat the pen with kid gloves or something. But when I write with an unposted pen, there's something in the back of my mind always telling me that the pen is incomplete, something's wrong, etc. My brain seems to be wired that way.
    --
    Mike

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Eridian (November 17th, 2015), Faustine (November 19th, 2015), Hawk (November 17th, 2015), Kaputnik (November 17th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I almost always post. I actually do always want to post. If I don't post, it's only because I'm in a hurry or trying to treat the pen with kid gloves or something. But when I write with an unposted pen, there's something in the back of my mind always telling me that the pen is incomplete, something's wrong, etc. My brain seems to be wired that way.
    always post.
    I've had a pen roll off the table onto the floor and smashed a nib in.
    At least when you post, the pen clip will stop it from rolling.

Thanks

Some future Decapod Twist has my name on it. I probably will not like it as much as my Pelikan 400NNae, but that's okay.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

I'm going to risk it....I think the goulets are annoying. Ugh for gods sake stop with all the periscoping Brian. "Brian cleaning his pens", "Brian chilling out in his livingroom", "Brian making cookies"....why not "Brian sitting around farting"???

People fawn over him like a movie star (at the DC show). Yes, fawn....like he's a movie star.........no joke....over the top.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

brunico (November 19th, 2015), caribbean_skye (November 27th, 2015), Hawk (November 22nd, 2015), inklord (November 18th, 2015), migo984 (November 28th, 2015), Neo (November 17th, 2015), StrongerLove (December 1st, 2015), Tracy Lee (November 27th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    I'm going to risk it....I think the goulets are annoying. Ugh for gods sake stop with all the periscoping Brian. "Brian cleaning his pens", "Brian chilling out in his livingroom", "Brian making cookies"....why not "Brian sitting around farting"???

People fawn over him like a movie star (at the DC show). Yes, fawn....like he's a movie star.........no joke....over the top.
    Okay, gotta confess. No idea what periscoping is or why anyone might be bothered by it?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (November 28th, 2015), Waltman (December 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 699 Posts

Okay, gotta confess. No idea what periscoping is or why anyone might be bothered by it?
    I confess I've never heard the term before either, but I like guessing. In the context it seems almost self-explanatory, people in a crowd trying to see something or someone a distance away from them. As they stand on tiptoe and stretch their necks, their heads are raised above the sea of heads, like a periscope breaking the surface of the ocean. Am I close?

As to whether people act in the manner described, I confess that I've never been to a pen show, and although I may go at some point, it's not really on my must do list.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

And here I thought periscoping was a reference to the app.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (November 27th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    And here I thought periscoping was a reference to the app.
    That's what I get for guessing. Never heard of the app, but I just googled it. At least I know what google means.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (November 17th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post

I confess I've never heard the term before either, but I like guessing. In the context it seems almost self-explanatory, people in a crowd trying to see something or someone a distance away from them. As they stand on tiptoe and stretch their necks, their heads are raised above the sea of heads, like a periscope breaking the surface of the ocean. Am I close?

As to whether people act in the manner described, I confess that I've never been to a pen show, and although I may go at some point, it's not really on my must do list.
    Periscope is videoing yourself and then it's broadcast live to your friends. An alert is sent to you when the person you "liked" goes on the air. Shawn Newton broadcasts as well...but he does interesting videos about how he makes his pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post

Periscope is videoing yourself and then it's broadcast live to your friends. An alert is sent to you when the person you "liked" goes on the air. Shawn Newton broadcasts as well...but he does interesting videos about how he makes his pens.

Okay. I guess I can see that as something a business might do but not a non-business reason. The bigger question though is "Does anyone actually do any of that?" Isn't there an app that would block all such attempts at advertising and propaganda? Is there some reason people can't just turn off getting broadcasts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Periscope is videoing yourself and then it's broadcast live to your friends. An alert is sent to you when the person you "liked" goes on the air.
    Ah. There are advantages to being out of the loop after all. I am blissfully un-annoyed by what I never even knew existed. However, if Brian doesn't like people fawning over him at pen shows (or perhaps if Rachel doesn't like people fawning over Brian), the farting video you suggested might help.
    --
    Mike

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (November 17th, 2015), Dreck (November 18th, 2015), Hawk (November 17th, 2015), JackdeSpadas (November 21st, 2015), Jon Szanto (November 17th, 2015), Kaputnik (November 18th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (November 19th, 2015), manoeuver (November 28th, 2015), Neo (November 17th, 2015)

Thanks

No argument here.

I wish he had stuck to the YouTube videos that had good production values. The periscope hangouts where he's hanging out in his living room are just really random and over long and unfocused.
    Last edited by nospam666; November 17th, 2015 at 11:05 PM.
    I can tell where I'm not wanted.

Someday that'll be on my tombstone.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nospam666 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (November 18th, 2015), inklord (November 18th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuasam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    always post.
    I've had a pen roll off the table onto the floor and smashed a nib in.
    At least when you post, the pen clip will stop it from rolling.
    I never post. I use some sort of a pen rest... or recap each time I put the pen down. It's not even a personal habit, it's what I've been told to do at school.

Thanks

1) Pens with hooded nibs are just....creepy--like cows and clowns.

2) As much as I try not to, I can't help but look down c/c pens.

3) I never post my pens. Holding onto the cap gives my right hand something to do.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (November 18th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (November 19th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dreck View Post
    1) Pens with hooded nibs are just....creepy--like cows and clowns.

2) As much as I try not to, I can't help but look down c/c pens.

3) I never post my pens. Holding onto the cap gives my right hand something to do.

1) Cows creepy? They of innocent pastoral faces?
    3) aye

Thanks

I don't like vintage pens.

I actively dislike piston and vacuum fillers... I prefer c/c pens.

Hooded nibs give me the wig.
    I can tell where I'm not wanted.

Someday that'll be on my tombstone.

Thanks

I don't like vintage pens. Probably because I find most of them ugly.

I like friction-fit or magnetic caps best.

I hate cleaning my pens.

I ALWAYS post my pens - if I can. Why tie up a free hand unnecessarily by holding onto a loose cap? So my new piston-fillers (TWSBI, Pelikan) are throwing me for a loop, cause they don't seem to like being posted.

Sometimes .....I miss the days when I was content with just my Lamy Safaris - there are so many options now. As soon as you get to a place where you feel good about your pens, something new and exciting and more-often-than-not expensive gets released. It's hard to keep up with all the latest and greatest in the pen and paper world! Hobonichi, Midori, Field Notes, Franklin-Christoph, Omas, Montblanc, Sailor, BungBox .... If you don't get it, you're missing out on great stuff! But sometimes it's hard to tell if the hype is worth the expense of a new obsession.
    Last edited by Faustine; November 19th, 2015 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks

I'm not sure, either, why people think it helpful or particularly informative to link to a monotonous twenty-minute video of someone showing you how to unscrew a barrel and fill a pen with ink. I figured all that out in under five minutes when my age was still in single figures. Maybe the Goulets' customer base is a little slow on the uptake.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to brunico For This Useful Post:

Hawk (November 22nd, 2015)