Thread: Advice on pen 'feel'..

Thanks

Default Advice on pen 'feel'..

Hey guys,
    I'm pretty new to fountain pens, but I'm addicted and I love them. So far I have some Estie's, Pelikan m600, Lamy 2000, Karas Kustom INK, Parker Sonnet, Twsbi vac700 and a few more...

Anyway... I found that out of the pens I currently have, I really really love the Pelikan m600. It has an 18k medium nib that is wet and springy. It's a dream to write with.
    My question is: what other brands/models do you think I would enjoy based on what I like about the Pelikan?
    A good example of what I'm saying is that I bought a new Twsbi, and though it's a smooth medium nib, it just doesn't tickle that same funny bone that the Pelikan does.
    (Also, the Lamy 2000 medium that I have also is ultra-smooth and wet, not much flex though)

I guess I'm looking for springy, wet, smooth nibs..
    Think I would be happy with a Sailor 1911?, a Platinum 3776?

Any help would be great!! (oh, and I like big cigar shaped pens but not necessary)

Thanks guys!

Thanks

Default Re: Advice on pen 'feel'..

You might like Pilot's soft nibs. I have a Pilot Custom 91 with a SFM (i.e. soft fine-medium) nib which I'd describe as springy, smooth, and wet. I also have a Pilot Custom 74 with SF (soft fine) nib, and while it, too, is springy, it's less smooth and less wet. (I imagine this is simply a difference between SF and SFM nibs, and it has nothing to do with 91 vs 74.)

I also have a Sailor Sapporo with an F nib, and a Platinum 3776 with an SF nib. Sailor's nib is one of the firmest nibs I have (as firm as a steel nib), and as far as I know, this is the case for all Sailor nibs. My Platinum SF nib is nice and springy, but not super smooth (it is a very fine nib, though, and I enjoy the feedback, but if you're into super smooth nibs, you might not like it). Platinum's nibs aren't considered to be among the smoothest, and their "ordinary" (i.e. not soft) nibs are supposed to be quite firm.

Of the bunch, Platinum 3776 is my favorite (it's my most used pen at the moment ), but based on your preferences, I'd recommend Pilot.

Thanks

There's no guarantee that, straight out of the box, any pen will write exactly to your preference. To take, for an example, Pelikan - I've had some that write wonderfully from the box and some . . . . that needed work. This year I acquired an M600 Red Ruby and an M101n Tortoise - - - each a perfect writer; but also an M800 Tortoise and an M800 Stresemann - - - both of which needed tuning by a nibmeister. That said, I agree with Miss Fountain Pen regarding Platinum 3776 - - I own several, and each has been a smooth writer from the gitgo. Others may have had had a different experience.

Buy pens that appeal to your fancy. If you need to have a nib tuned, send the pen to a reputable nibmeister for adjustment to your specifications. An added cost? Yes. Worthwhile? Yes!
    Last edited by Robert; November 14th, 2015 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

Your comment about the Lamy 2k not having much flex causes me a little concern. The vast majority of modern nibs aren't made to flex, and you shouldn't be putting enough pressure on them to do that. Generally, there should be little to no pressure. If you would be breaking the tip off of a freshly sharpened pencil with the same pressure, it's too much.

That being said, some pressure does happen during a down-stroke; and that's where I experience the "spring" to a springy nib. I agree that Sailor nibs are very, very firm. You'll find some spring with Pilot and Platinum (or Nakaya) "soft" nibs (and they're labeled that way), and many pens with Bock #6 gold nibs.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys!
    I absolutely do NOT put too much pressure on the Lamy 2000.. just a little to see if there's any line variation.
    Don't know if this tells you guys anything, but the Pelikan m600 that I like the most is an older model. Made in West Germany. The Lamy is the smoothest writer, it's amazing. There's really NO feedback at all pretty much. My older Parker Sonnet is another nib I really like. Same characteristics; smooth, wet, springy.
    I haven't sent anything out to get tuned yet, but probably will. Also want to try some grinds. From what I read a cursive italic would be nice. So far I've been 'tuning' my pens myself as far as aligning tines and even using my knife experience and using an ultra fine Spyderco sharpening stone to smooth them somewhat (which pretty much just polishes them). I've been pretty successful with it thus far.

An M800 Stresemann is my grail pen at the moment. It looks so classy, so perfect. If anyone wants to buy me one, please please.. feel free. Hahahaa.
    I will check out the Nakaya 3776. Do they have soft wider nibs? Like B or BB?
    I'm glad to hear that Bock nibs are nice. I've heard that Karas Kustoms is re-designing their INK pen (which I have and love) to have Bock nibs now instead of Schmidt nibs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 13aphomet View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys!
    I will check out the Nakaya 3776. Do they have soft wider nibs? Like B or BB?
    It's Platinum 3776, not Nakaya 3776. Nakaya is a fancy branch of Platinum, and it doesn't make the 3776 model.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that neither Platinum nor Nakaya makes soft B or BB nibs. You can get an SF nib on a number of 3776 models; to my knowledge, an SM nib is available on only one 3776, namely that Platinum 3776 Century Yamanaka Limited Edition (http://nibs.com/platinum-3776-century-yamanaka.htm). Generally speaking, you can get the 3776 much cheaper if you order straight from Japan than if you order from a Western retailer (do keep in mind that if you order from Japan, you'll almost certainly have to buy a converter separately), but I haven't seen the Yamanaka model with an SM nib on offer from Japanese sellers, so if you want that one, you'll likely have to pay its Western price. Nakaya offers SM nibs on all its models, but Nakaya pens are far more expensive than the 3776. The cheapest Nakaya is $350 (that's for a matte briarwood).

Thanks

I find my 3776s are very different from the Pelikan - they don't have that lovely soft feel and write quite dry. (I have four of them, mainly in F-M. My Pelikans are mainly on the broad side.)

You might like Watermans from 1980s to the present, the ones with gold nibs like Exclusive/Executive, Man 100 and Man 200, Gentleman, Charleston. The ones I have write the same way as my modern Pelikans, nice and springy and wet. And they are really stylish pens.

Thanks

My two cents: Don't make all of your pens have the same "ideal" writing characteristics. Say you buy a really expensive journal book and after you test it with your favorite pen and ink, you find that it has really lousy paper; it feathers and bleeds like crazy. After writing in it, you can't send it back for a refund. If all of your pens write like your M800, you will be stuck with that book, empty as it is. Rather, your collection should include a pen with a fine point that writes dry -- too dry for your tastes. That pen will probably let you use the book. You can do the same thing with a collection of dip pen nibs, only more cheaply.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

amk (November 15th, 2015), jar (November 15th, 2015), KKay (November 16th, 2015), penwash (November 15th, 2015), Scrawler (November 16th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

As mentioned above, variety really is the spice of life. Today I am using an old Aurora 888 that was made in the mid fifties and that has probably the best super fine nib (finer than any Japanese nib I have tried) on any of the pens I own. The other pen in today's rotation is a Platinum President with their "C" double broad nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post

It's Platinum 3776, not Nakaya 3776. Nakaya is a fancy branch of Platinum, and it doesn't make the 3776 model.
    So I pretty much just said that maybe I will test drive a Lexus Corolla.. nice. Hahah
    Thanks for clearing that up.

I totally understand what you guys are saying about variety. I have a little bit of variety as it is, and just one/two great feeling pens. I absolutely want to expand my great feeling subsection.
    I went ahead and ordered a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 with a Soft Medium nib. From what I've read it looks like I'll really like it. Now I just have to actually wait for it to get here from Japan.
    The next pen on the list I'm pretty sure is going to have to be a Pilot Custom 823. There's just something about the look of that pen that just draws me in.
    Anyone have one?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 13aphomet For This Useful Post:

Miss Fountain Pen (November 16th, 2015)

Thanks

I went ahead and ordered a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 with a Soft Medium nib. From what I've read it looks like I'll really like it. Now I just have to actually wait for it to get here from Japan.
    The next pen on the list I'm pretty sure is going to have to be a Pilot Custom 823. There's just something about the look of that pen that just draws me in.
    Anyone have one?
    Congratulations on your purchase! I bet you'll like the pen.

As for Pilot Custom 823: I don't have one, but it has a very good reputation. I never got one because, well, I wasn't sure I'd like the vac filling system, and besides, I have soooo many pens! But as I said, it has a very good reputation, so I bet it's a very good pen.

Thanks

I too like that bit of flex in a nib. I was wisely advised to buy a Wahl Eversharp Skyline which I find very flexy and lovely to write with. I read many post recommending Mabie Todd pens for flex.
    “When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

Thanks

Anyone have one?

Don't have an 823, but I've got a Custom 74 with a Soft Fine/Medium nib. It's pretty fun to use, giving a little bounce and some character to your writing. It's not really what I'd call flexy, as expected, just springy, but there is moderate line variation without much effort. I hope you enjoy your new pen!

Thanks

Thanks guys.. I'm excited.
    In the meantime (while I'm waiting for Japan to send me my new toy), I bought myself a Pelikan m800!! Can't go wrong with that!! Gotta cool it on spending though. Freaking addictive.. hahhahahha

Thanks

In the meantime (while I'm waiting for Japan to send me my new toy), I bought myself a Pelikan m800!! Can't go wrong with that!! Gotta cool it on spending though. Freaking addictive.. hahhahahha
    Careful!! From personal experience i can tell you.....those "Birds" can "multiply".... RAPIDLY! My M200 Cafe Creme started squawking: "HEY!!I'm LONELY!" So...
    The M800 Burnt Orange EF I ordered is now back ordered to next April!!! BUT....3 more "Feathered Friends" are- or soon will be - "nesting" at my house!!
    Which 800 did you get?? And which Japanese "toy"??!!
    Enjoy!!

Always try to get the dibs.....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!
    Last edited by DASEFnib; November 17th, 2015 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DASEFnib View Post
    Careful!! From personal experience i can tell you.....those "Birds" can "multiply".... RAPIDLY! My M200 Cafe Creme started squawking: "HEY!!I'm LONELY!" So...
    The M800 Burnt Orange EF I ordered is now back ordered to next April!!! BUT....3 more "Feathered Friends" are- or soon will be - "nesting" at my house!!
    Which 800 did you get?? And which Japanese "toy"??!!
    Enjoy!!

Always try to get the dibs.....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!
    Ohhoohh!! The M200 Cafe Creme looks great! I was eyeballing that up myself. The m800 I bought is a green striated with the B 18k nib that was ground to a stub by John Mottishaw. As far as I can tell it looks beautiful! Looks like I'll be getting it tomorrow!! I'm geeked!
    The Japanese toy is a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 with a Soft Medium nib.. I'm really hoping I like this one too.
    The Burnt Orange m800 looks sweet man. Def jealous!