Thread: A comparison of cursive italics

Thanks

Default A comparison of cursive italics

When I was looking to have a few nibs modified I had a hard time comparing different nibs to decide whether I wanted a stub, a cursive italic, or a full italic. Now that we have a few different ones lying around the house I decided to write with them all on the same paper. It would seem I was overly concerned for no reason. There isn't a whole lot of difference between all these pens. Mostly just the width of the nib and the size stroke it creates.

Control sample is just a normal fine nib to reference a lack of line variation between vertical and horizontal strokes.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (November 20th, 2015), conib (January 5th, 2016), da vinci (November 20th, 2015), Faustine (November 20th, 2015), fountainpenkid (November 20th, 2015), gbryal (November 19th, 2015), Hawk (November 28th, 2015), inklord (November 20th, 2015), JackdeSpadas (December 2nd, 2015), KKay (November 19th, 2015), Marsilius (November 29th, 2015), Miss Fountain Pen (November 21st, 2015), penwash (November 20th, 2015), Robert (November 20th, 2015), rpsyed (November 20th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (November 20th, 2015), Smithman (May 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: A comparison of cursive italics

2,3,5 are definitely my favorites of the bunch. I really like your comparisons. I was thinking about getting a cursive italic, but I'm not sure. All 3 of the ones I mentioned look outstanding. They are very close to what I will look for, eventually. I think number 5 is the winner for me.
    Last edited by KKay; November 19th, 2015 at 08:23 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KKay For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (November 29th, 2015)

Thanks

It's nice to see that 'cursive italic' doesn't necessarily mean a broad line. Number 5 is rather lovely. I'm going to have to investigate the finer side of italic some time; most of mine are fairly fat (1.1 and 1.5mm) but I could do with something for smaller writing - my broader italics are too broad to work on Italian humanist style scripts.

Thanks

People always used to parrot the same definitions... but they'd still all call the same nib different things. You'd also hear people say ridiculous things such as how a nib can't be a proper italic because it doesn't rip paper, or how it can't be a good one because it's scratchy (this is user error 99% of the time). People will also say a nib has poor line variation because they can't see anything writing 3mm high letters with a 1.5mm wide nib while constantly varying the angle of the pen. And now everyone has started calling every edged nib a stub and every size of italic a 1.1 because they're aware of something like a Twsbi being sold as a "1.1 stub" and they think this is what they're all called.

You will drive yourself round the twist if you try and make sense of it all. There's a very low signal to noise ratio about italic nibs.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brunico For This Useful Post:

Hawk (November 28th, 2015), inklord (November 20th, 2015), JackdeSpadas (December 2nd, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (November 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks so much for this review. One note on the F-C/Masuyama stubs and CI nibs. The 18k gold versions of the otherwise identical HPS (= high performance steel) nibs are generally much wetter writers and mildly soft, though neither flexible nor springy. So your choice is between moderately wet (HPS) and real wet (18k), the latter with a better potential to bring out more shading through slight pressure variation. Another great candidate is the 1.9mm music nib from F-C, basically a steel CI with two nib slits. Also: Edison and F-C nibs are interchangeable in the respective nib sizes.
    Question: could you list the inks used, scooby921? Thanks again!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    2,3,5 are definitely my favorites of the bunch. I really like your comparisons. I was thinking about getting a cursive italic, but I'm not sure. All 3 of the ones I mentioned look outstanding. They are very close to what I will look for, eventually. I think number 5 is the winner for me.
    #5 is currently listed in the for sale forum. I don't use it enough, so it needs to find a better home.

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Thanks so much for this review. One note on the F-C/Masuyama stubs and CI nibs. The 18k gold versions of the otherwise identical HPS (= high performance steel) nibs are generally much wetter writers and mildly soft, though neither flexible nor springy. So your choice is between moderately wet (HPS) and real wet (18k), the latter with a better potential to bring out more shading through slight pressure variation. Another great candidate is the 1.9mm music nib from F-C, basically a steel CI with two nib slits. Also: Edison and F-C nibs are interchangeable in the respective nib sizes.
    Question: could you list the inks used, scooby921? Thanks again!
    Inks Used:

1.) Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu
    2.) Noodler's Habanero
    3.) Montblanc Permanent Blue
    4.) Homemade mix of Private Reserve Fiesta Red, Montblanc Seasonal Brown, and J.Herbin Rouge Hematite (to make a darker red with a little shimmer / sheen)
    5.) Private Reserve Fiesta Red
    6.) Montblanc Twilight Blue
    7.) Pelikan Edelstein Garnet
    8.) Bungbox Piano Mahogany
    9.) R&K Helianthus
    10.) Pilot Black
    11.) Pilot Red after Pilot Black (didn't clean when switching to red just to see what color would come out)
    12.) Noodler's Apache Sunset
    13.) Noodler's 54th Massachusetts

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

conib (January 5th, 2016), inklord (November 28th, 2015), KKay (November 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Great thread--here's a bit more data.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluesea For This Useful Post:

conib (January 5th, 2016), Scooby921 (November 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

For me, less steady of hand than many other writers, it seems that a 1.1 stub is far easier to manage that the cursive italics I have recently aquired. It does seem that the narrower "sweet spot" on the italics I have make a difference as to their ease of use. Both put down a very attractive line.
    Last edited by VertOlive; November 25th, 2015 at 05:07 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Ah...you would be selling it now. No way I can afford it at this time, sadly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    For me, less steady of hand than many other writers, it seems that a 1.1 stub is far easier to manage that the cursive italics I have recently aquired. I does seem that the narrower "sweet spot" on the italics I have make a difference as to their ease of use. Both put down a very attractive line.

My hand is less steadier the most, but from my limited experience, I've found not all C.I. are equal in terms of the way its sharpness is felt on paper. With equal line variation, some still feel smoother than others, and I think this speaks to the art, skill, and style of the nibmeister.

My F-C Masuyama steel .9 is the sharpest I have, and is one of my favorite nibs. Its forced me to analyze transitioning to the upstroke, and carrying through that upstroke.

Thanks

Default A comparison of cursive italics

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    I have that the Gold version of No. 5 on 2 Franklin-Christoph pens and they're great for every day writing with a touch of flair. I have the B version as my signature pen. I'm a fan!
    Last edited by Newjelan; November 28th, 2015 at 02:08 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Newjelan For This Useful Post:

KKay (November 28th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Scooby, I like all of those, but I have to say that I really like your handwriting with the Mottishaw cursive italics in #2 and #3.

For myself, I find cursive italics too sharp and prefer stubs, just because I write quickly and not very carefully most of the time. Easier to change the pen than reform the writer.