Thread: An event horizon involving Nakaya / Platinum gravitational pull

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: An event horizon involving Nakaya / Platinum gravitational pull

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    It's funny: I'm sitting here, looking at that photo of the two feeds, and thinking "Isn't capillary action amazing?"
    It is, but that's just half of it. Next time you have a modern plastic feed in hand, take a moment to trace the path that air would take to reach the main ink channel(s) in order to bubble back into the ink chamber when the nib has no breather hole. Most modern feeds are designed so that the breather hole is optional. There is a way.
    Lots of ways.

The so called "Breather Hole" was really there to stop stress fractures at the end of the nib slit.
    Yes, but that's not actually relevant. The reason I mentioned the breather hole is that if it is present, air-ink interchange may occur there, as can be readily observed with a clear feed like the VS. Modern plastic feeds are designed with particular paths for the air to follow. Perhaps you were unaware of this?
    Aware of it and also aware that air can enter through many ways. A great example is the tiny pin hole in an ink sac or converter or section, too small to allow ink to escape through but big enough to allow air in and thus ink to leak out through the feeder system.

The so called "Breather Hole" was necessary to reduce stress cracks at the split for the tines and so it also made sense to route air channels in the feed there as well, but the purpose of the so called "Breather Hole" was still to reduce stress. Acting as an air inlet was simply incidental.

A great example is this item.

Sure I could use it to trim my nails but that is not what it was made for. Its purpose is as a fisherman's tool to cut line, open shot and remove hooks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    It's funny: I'm sitting here, looking at that photo of the two feeds, and thinking "Isn't capillary action amazing?"
    It is, but that's just half of it. Next time you have a modern plastic feed in hand, take a moment to trace the path that air would take to reach the main ink channel(s) in order to bubble back into the ink chamber when the nib has no breather hole. Most modern feeds are designed so that the breather hole is optional. There is a way.
    Lots of ways.

The so called "Breather Hole" was really there to stop stress fractures at the end of the nib slit.
    Yes, but that's not actually relevant. The reason I mentioned the breather hole is that if it is present, air-ink interchange may occur there, as can be readily observed with a clear feed like the VS. Modern plastic feeds are designed with particular paths for the air to follow. Perhaps you were unaware of this?
    Kind of like some of the modern plastic ones that seem to have a hole out the bottom of the feed (as I've wondered why some of the breather-hole-less nibs didn't have flow issues, though my 70s era Montblanc 225 has no hole on top, but does have a big intake hole under the feed).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Kind of like some of the modern plastic ones that seem to have a hole out the bottom of the feed (as I've wondered why some of the breather-hole-less nibs didn't have flow issues, though my 70s era Montblanc 225 has no hole on top, but does have a big intake hole under the feed).
    So when you have such a feed out of the pen, look at that path closely. It will intersect the main ink channel somewhere. That's really all I was suggesting. It's interesting, I think.
    --
    Mike