Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musings of late...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Musings of late...

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post

There appears to be a pattern of human behaviour with regard to the rise and fall of religions. It is also worth thinking about the expression 'long term' as most people have no real conception of what this should mean in a Universal sense - certainly 2000 years of inconsistent religious application cannot be considered long term. Buddhism has been going longer, Hinduism longer still, and both still have millions of adherents. How would you interpret that?
    Religions are human constructs, maps, guidebooks. The map is not the Territory.

Like all maps, any given religion or sect will have stuff that is right and stuff that is wrong. The longer a map (or religion) remains in stasis the less accurately it will reflect the Territory.

The fact that no religion will be completely right is no more a problem than the fact that no map is completely right. Errors on a map do not make a map worthless; they simply make it wise for you to test the map against reality.

There is no "God of the Bible" just as there is not even a universal "Bible¸™". Christian Bibles vary from the smallest Canon that includes only those books likely canonized during Jesus lifetime (the first five books) to the largest Canon that includes over 80 books. The description of the "God character" found in Genesis 1 is entire different than the "God character" found in Genesis 2&3 and the various "God characters" evolve and morph throughout the stories just as many of the stories themselves evolve and morph (look at the evolution of the Great Commission or of the evolution of Paul's encounter as the story is told and retold in the Bible).

But religions still serve a purpose, just as an inadequate map can still be a guide.

Thanks

Maybe it's time for humanity to shed religions just as kids no longer believe in Santa and the tooth fairy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuasam View Post
    Maybe it's time for humanity to shed religions just as kids no longer believe in Santa and the tooth fairy.
    But I most definitely believe in Santa. Can't comment on the Tooth Fairy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (December 29th, 2015), Morgaine (January 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

Default Musings of late...

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Santa is a construct invented by Coca Cola and used by retail to peddle crap. Religions are used by humans to fool the idiots and justify horrible behaviour.

A bad map might prevent the traveller from reaching his destination.
    Last edited by Chuasam; December 29th, 2015 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks

Santa is a construct invented by Coca Cola and used by retail to peddle crap. Religions are used by humans to fool the idiots and justify horrible behaviour.

A bad map might prevent the traveller from reaching his destination.
    While no map leaves one simply wandering.

Santa predates Coca-Cola.

Many things are used by humans to fool idiots and justify horrible behavior.

Thanks

I'm confused!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
    I'm confused!
    Just remember that Christianity betrayed King Arthur.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fqgouvea View Post
    If you're driving down a road, you entrust your wellbeing to the road makers. In that sense, you have put your faith in them. You probably don't have unassailable proof that the road can be trusted, .... fqgouvea@roadrunner.com
    The word faith and the word trust are often conflated. But here we have a difference.
    I trust the "road maker". But "faith" has nothing to do with that. I can access directly, with my senses, and communicate about in detail, with others, things like highway departments, various road & highway related plans, maps, companies etc. I have also, with my own senses on numerous occasions, observed road construction and repair.

your analogy is essentially the argument made by Paley, in 1802, (i.e. the faulty analogy; a watch implies a watchmaker. But since a watchmaker and a watch are observable biogeophysical objects, the analogy fails, This is because most conceptions of god(s) (including those of the Abrahamic Faiths) include its being super-natural (in the dictionary sense: (of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature. ) Therefore it is to put it simply, trying to compare apples and oranges.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moynihan View Post
    If you're driving down a road, you entrust your wellbeing to the road makers. In that sense, you have put your faith in them. You probably don't have unassailable proof that the road can be trusted, .... fqgouvea@roadrunner.com
    The word faith and the word trust are often conflated. But here we have a difference.
    I trust the "road maker". But "faith" has nothing to do with that. I can access directly, with my senses, and communicate about in detail, with others, things like highway departments, various road & highway related plans, maps, companies etc. I have also, with my own senses on numerous occasions, observed road construction and repair.

your analogy is essentially the argument made by Paley, in 1802, (i.e. the faulty analogy; a watch implies a watchmaker. But since a watchmaker and a watch are observable biogeophysical objects, the analogy fails, This is because most conceptions of god(s) (including those of the Abrahamic Faiths) include its being super-natural (in the dictionary sense: (of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature. ) Therefore it is to put it simply, trying to compare apples and oranges.
    I'm certainly not using Paley's argument, because I'm not trying to prove anything. Certainly not to prove that "God exists", whatever that means. Attempting such a proof strikes me as contradictory, in fact, at least according to a classical Christian understanding of what "God" means.

I was just trying to explain what most Chrisrians mean by the word faith: not blind assent, but reasonable trust.

Fernando Gouvźa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

Thanks

[QUOTE=fqgouvea;154675][QUOTE=moynihan;154630]
    I was just trying to explain what most Chrisrians mean by the word faith: not blind assent, but reasonable trust.
    fqgouvea@roadrunner.com
    OK. But faith can include "trust", but that type of trust is not "reasonable" . The concept of "reason" is empirical, analytic, rational. One can trust based on reason or on faith. But trust based on faith is by its very terms not "reasonable". To paraphrase Maye West, reason has nothing to do with it.
    The Greco-Romans had a neat way of handling this, prior to the Christian era. They had logos and mythos. Logos meant the understanding the observable world via reason. Mythos, or story, that being stories about the gods, etc. teaching us how to live with each other. The factual truth of those stories was essentially irrelevant, a non sequitur as fact was the concern on the logos way of knowing. In Christianity, Mormonism and the other non-trinitarian variants, and fundamentalist Islam, logos and mythos have been conflated, contributing to the making for the now all too obvious long, troubled voyage, in calm weather.

Thanks

In the end trying to discuss philosophy like this isn't, well, reasonable. But at least we have isolated a real point of disagreement: What do we mean by "reason"? Clearly not the same thing. But I won't elaborate, as this requires more time and space.

Fernando Gouvźa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

There are always disagreements when personal interpretations of a term deviate from the accepted definition.

Most often the deviation is an exercise in self-support.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

RNHC (March 18th, 2016)

Thanks

I'm leaning towards humanism these days...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (January 9th, 2016)

Thanks

At least humans are real

Thanks

Unlike evolution...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Unlike evolution...

Thanks

At least humans are real
    Are there really folk alive today that doubt that evolution is a fact or that the earth is billions of years old or that humans are not just another primate or ...

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (January 19th, 2016), ethernautrix (January 25th, 2016)

Thanks

I live in the U.S., and here, like in a few of the Fundamentalist Islamic states, there are a lot of folks who do not accept evolution through natural selection. For a humorous video on the subject of evolution this is my favorite

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moynihan For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (January 19th, 2016), Dragonmaster Lou (January 20th, 2016)

Thanks

I live in the U.S., and here, like in a few of the Fundamentalist Islamic states, there are a lot of folks who do not accept evolution through natural selection. For a humorous video on the subject of evolution this is my favorite
    You sure they are not just funnin' us, pulling our collective legs, a long running POE, a carny "freak show", jess a joke?

Thanks

Default Musings of late...

You sure they are not just funnin' us, pulling our collective legs, a long running POE, a carny "freak show", jess a joke?
    Look up the Neuro Surgeon and wannabe Presidential Candidate Ben Carson.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuasam For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (January 20th, 2016)