Thread: Pilot Custom Heritage 91

Thanks

Post Pilot Custom Heritage 91

So I received a package from Japan the other day and inside was a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 with a soft-medium 14k nib. It's a pretty unassuming pen. No crazy bells or whistles, no fancy ink system, no obscure materials.. just a regular old fountain pen. I didn't really think much of it other than it had pretty good reviews from people on Youtube and forums.
    I opened up the Pilot plastic clamshell and took it out noticing that it was a pretty good size. Capped it was roughly the same size as my Pelikan m400. Uncapped, it's longer.
    The pen is black resin with rhodium trim. Very reminiscent of a Sailor 1911 or Platinum 3776. The clip is tight, but not too tight. So far so good.

I had purchased a Con-70 converter to coincide with it's delivery because it does NOT come with one (it does come with a black cartridge). The converter fits perfectly and holds a good amount of ink. I found the Con-70 kinda tricky the first I tried to fill it. I thought it was broken, but it was actually me that was broken. You have to pump the button fast to accurately create the vacuum needed to fill the chamber. After some trial and error I managed to fill it all way up with one of my favorite inks; Diamine Bilberry.

When I wrote with the pen for the first time I was amazed. This pen is really special. For the price (less than $100 from Japan), it's one hell of a pen. The pen is extremely comfortable in my hand. Could be a little thicker, but it's definitely not too thin. The grip section is perfectly tapered and whether you hold the pen down towards the nib or up a little higher it's comfortable. I generally hold my pen a littler higher than normal so finding out that the threads weren't sharp was also a nice surprise.

As for how the pen writes, well.. it's great. This is easily one of the best writers I have. The nib is a soft-medium in 14 karat gold nib. As you write you can feel the springiness of the nib. It feels like the nib has shocks on it like your car. It just wants to give a little bit, bending slightly as you apply pressure. This softness, as you would expect, creates a wider line on the page..and a WET line at that. Boy, now I'm excited. The pen easily goes from what I would call a Western fine to a double broad.. and does so with grace. It doesn't feel like your damaging your pen, or surpassing some kind of limit. It's organic.
    The pen will railroad if you take it too far and write too fast; which is expected. This would only be a problem if it railroaded too early and it does NOT.
    Oh, and before I forget - This pen is also smooth. Very smooth. There IS a small amount of feedback, but it's good feedback. It also doesn't suffer from any kind of small sweet-spot or anything. It pretty much writes in any position. I haven't tried reverse writing.

So what you get is a beautiful elegant looking pen that has the ability to hold a very decent amount of ink, that writes smooth and on the wet side and is capable of a wonderful amount of line variation. What's not to like..?! Well, nothing.
    This would make an absolutely wonderful daily writer. I'm convinced I could write for hours with this pen.

My final word is that if you have $100 to buy a pen (and converter), there is absolutely no reason that you shouldn't buy this pen!! You won't be disappointed.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 13aphomet For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

cpt000 (March 15th, 2016), Dragonmaster Lou (December 7th, 2015), fountainpenkid (December 29th, 2015), inklord (December 7th, 2015), Jeph (December 7th, 2015), KKay (December 8th, 2015), Marsilius (December 8th, 2015), mookie2112 (November 8th, 2016), MY63 (December 9th, 2015), Shinyobject (August 5th, 2016), Smithman (March 26th, 2016), TropicalPenGal (February 3rd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Pilot Custom Heritage 91

That's a nice line!
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

nice review

maybe some day for me

for now, anything over $50 for me also has to be very pretty to look at

Thanks

I am so glad to hear that you liked it. I have one on order in the soft fine medium nib.

I ordered it when the price fell to $67 on Amazon.

Really glad I snapped it up as the prices higher now.
    I can tell where I'm not wanted.

Someday that'll be on my tombstone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Interesting. I find this pen very attractive.

Although I am Italian, I have never warmed up to over the top Italian pens.
    I can tell where I'm not wanted.

Someday that'll be on my tombstone.

Thanks

I have a 912 and found the con 70 tricky at first as well. I have yet to see a badly made pilot pen though. I enjoy the classic designs they use.

Nice review.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

Thanks

I'm not saying the Pilot is ugly.. just understated, which to me is classy. Also, I think it's a testament to a pen that can hold it's own and not have any frills or gimmicks attached to it.
    As for Italian pens, wow.. they have some nice ones. An Omas Paragon is definitely on my grail list. I'm a sucker for facet's though.

Very impressed with the Pilot though, I won't be putting it down for awhile. I'm convinced that you'll be very happy with your purchase.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nospam666 View Post

I don't like over the top, either. I just bought a Parker Vac, which I think is beautiful, just gorgeous.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nospam666 View Post

I don't like over the top, either. I just bought a Parker Vac, which I think is beautiful, just gorgeous.
    That made me chuckle, because I have several Italian pens, which I do think are beautiful, but I was just writing today that one of my Parker Vacs is my most blingy pen. We all look at these things so differently.

For the OP: very nice review; thank you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

kPko (May 22nd, 2016)