Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Review: Kaweco Dia2, Dual review

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Pen Review: Kaweco Dia2, Dual review

Kaweco Dia2 Dual Review

My friend Laura and I thought it would be fun to do a dual review of a fountain pen. Kaweco loaned each of us a Dia2 with chrome trim. Laura used a steel EF nib, and a 14ct gold BB nib.

I used a steel M nib. I also tested it with a steel 1.1mm nib and a 14ct gold F nib.

We posted the full review, with more thoughts and pictures, on Laura's blog Here but we also want to show you highlights from our review here on FPGeeks. We hope you enjoy reading it.

1. Appearance and Design.

Laura: It’s based on a traditional design from the 1930s. I love the chrome-colored trim, the shiny black resin and the knurled rings on the end of the cap and barrel that date from the original Dia. And the shape of the clip is gorgeous.

Chris: The Dia2 is a full length pen based on a classic 1930’s Art Deco design. It comes with either chrome or gold trim. The cap has 2 decorative inlaid chrome bands at the base.

2. Construction and Quality.

Laura: The Dia2 feels very nicely built. The barrel screws firmly onto the section and a spring-loaded feature inside assures you that the cartridges are firmly in place.

Chris: Everything about the Dia2 suggests a high quality pen. It is not a flimsy, lightweight, pen in your hand, as the barrel has inner brass screw threads that give it a good balanced feel. The highly polished black CNC acrylic has cleanly cut and smooth screw threads.

You insert one cartridge into the section, and a spare inside the barrel. The spring loading is reassurance that the cartridge won’t fall out.

3. Weight and Dimensions.

Weight of pen capped: 27.8 grams (inked with cartridge). Weight of body only: 18.6 grams (inked).

Length: Body only, unposted: 12.5 cm or about 5 inches. Posted: 16 cm or just over 6¼ inches. Capped and closed: almost 13.5 cm or 5¼ inches.

Laura: I used the Dia2 unposted, and found it to be a nice full sized pen, that feels balanced and comfortable in the hand, even for longer writing sessions.

Chris: I only used it unposted, and it felt comfortable in my hand. It might feel slightly unbalanced if posted.

4. Nib and Performance.

Laura: The Dia2 uses the same nib units as used on the AL-Sport. The steel EF is smooth, with a touch of feedback, and no flex, but it doesn’t feel stiff. It’s excellent for fast writing and just how I like a nib. I tried the gold BB nib, but didn’t find that improved the writing experience for me. I think the Kaweco steel nibs give a lot of bang for the buck, and I’m very happy with them.

Chris: You can choose from threaded steel calligraphy nibs, black steel nibs, or gold nibs.

I found my M steel nib had a dry flow. When I swapped in the gold F nib I found the flow was much better with a softer writing experience.

I found the nib size looked slightly small in the pen, and I felt it could easily have handled a slightly larger nib, but it didn’t make that much difference to me.

5. Filling System and Maintenance.

Laura: I used the Dia2 extensively, but with cartridges only because I did not have a converter that fits. I like cartridges but would have liked a converter as well.

Chris: I used cartridges in the Dia2, because I have been using them in the Sport pens that I’ve been reviewing. However, Kaweco also sent me a KW23846 converter that fits it, as none of my International sized converters would stay in properly. The twist action converter that fits the Dia2 is different to the squeeze converter that fits the Sport pens.

6. Cost and Value.

Laura: This is the only rub for me. In the US, the Dia2 in chrome sells for about $100, which puts it up in the highest range among steel-nib pens. The converter that fits the Dia2 is an additional $4. That is around the same price as a Pelikan M200, which is a similar steel-nib German pen. I think the Dia2 looks like more of a premium pen. It has much nicer trim, it feels more solid and it’s a bigger pen. The Dia2 feels like a grown-up’s pen.

Chris: In the UK, Cult Pens sell the Dia2 Chrome for £72 and the Dia2 Gold for £92. You also need to add £3 for the converter. Pelikan M205’s cost £90 and the M200 costs £120.

If you wanted to have the Dia2 with a gold nib then you are adding at least a further £99 to the UK price. So the price would then be comparable with the Lamy 2000 Makrolon FP. I actually prefer the shiny black classic and more traditional finish of the Dia2, and feel that it is a higher quality pen overall.

7. Conclusion.

Laura: I really liked this pen. It’s a full-size pen with traditional looks, that feels very well-made. I’m a big fan of the steel EF nib. The Dia2’s only drawback, for me, is that it’s on the expensive side. And I think it should come with a converter.

Chris: I like it’s size and high quality, as well as it’s looks and performance. However, I wouldn’t be able to live with the chrome pen fitted with a yellow gold nib, and the gold trim version or the two-tone gold nib make it significantly more expensive. I also think Kaweco need to include a converter with the pen for the sake of the insignificant additional price.

N.B. Kaweco kindly sent me their two-tone 14ct nib to try with this pen, and I think it looks much better against the chrome trim than the monotone gold nib. Here are a couple of pictures showing that nib.

Last edited by Chrissy; December 6th, 2022 at 11:26 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Carpio (June 6th, 2023), da vinci (December 13th, 2015), dneal (November 29th, 2021), eachan (November 30th, 2021), Fouez (March 22nd, 2016), inklord (December 13th, 2015), Inky Poops (February 19th, 2016), Jeph (December 8th, 2015), Mags (December 8th, 2015), Marsilius (February 18th, 2016), penwash (December 8th, 2015), rdcalhoon (December 8th, 2015), whych (December 8th, 2015), writingrav (February 18th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Default Re: Pen Review: Kaweco Dia2, Dual review

Can the gold nib produce some significant line variation?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Can the gold nib produce some significant line variation?
    Not really. It isn't a flexible nib.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

penwash (December 8th, 2015), Yazeh (November 29th, 2021)

Thanks

I have just tried out this pen with the Kaweco two-tone 14ct gold nib, and it gets a big thumbs up from me. The nib I was sent is a M that writes like a stub.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

inklord (December 13th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Given it's design nod to Kawecos old pens I really wish they'd put a piston in this thing, if they had I'd likely own one. :\
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 12th, 2015)

Thanks

That's a good point.

Thanks

At this price point, I don't understand why Kaweco doesn't include a converter. Nice looking pen, but I'm not sure I would want to spend that much for something with a Sport nib. Good review format. Thanks!

Thanks

What have I missed here? Wasn't there a Dia a few years ago that was a piston-filler? (Or is my mind playing tricks on me. . . )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 554 Posts

looks pretty sweet. thanks for the review!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    What have I missed here? Wasn't there a Dia a few years ago that was a piston-filler? (Or is my mind playing tricks on me. . . )
    Yes, the original incarnation (decades ago) was a piston filler.
    Sent from my constipated POS computer at work.

Thanks

I would be interested to learn how the price of the Dia 2 has changed within the US. Is it significantly more expensive now?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,300 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I would be interested to learn how the price of the Dia 2 has changed within the US. Is it significantly more expensive now?
    Still around the $100 range. In the interview, Herr Gutberlet says he thinks the reason it doesn’t sell well is that it isn’t priced high enough. There may be some merit to that, and Tag Heuer raised their prices (and marketing budget) with success many years ago.

I suspect people assume it’s made similarly to the basic sport (i.e.: inexpensively), and therefore not worth 4x the price of the sport. I know I did. The 060 nib also seems disproportionately small. While not uncommon with vintage Kaweco’s, it doesn’t comport with modern aesthetics. The 076 would be a better choice.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 29th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Still around the $100 range. In the interview, Herr Gutberlet says he thinks the reason it doesn’t sell well is that it isn’t priced high enough. ...
    Well, if Kaweco is going to raise the price on the Dia 2, they better turn it back into a true piston filler.

You know, like what the original -- to which this version owe the good looks to -- was.

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

19. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

I think that the dinky nib is the problem. I put a bigger Bock nib in mine, and it made all the difference in the world.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

What size nib did you use, Ron, and did you have to change the feed as well?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Still around the $100 range. In the interview, Herr Gutberlet says he thinks the reason it doesn’t sell well is that it isn’t priced high enough. ...
    Well, if Kaweco is going to raise the price on the Dia 2, they better turn it back into a true piston filler.

You know, like what the original -- to which this version owe the good looks to -- was.

I’d like to see that too. Supposedly we’ll see piston Sports next year. That said, there are plenty of much more expensive pens that aren’t as well made as the current Dia.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    It’s in Ray-VIgo’s thread. Bock 076. Direct swap for the 060. You can screw in the complete assembly or swap just the nib and feed.

-edit-

Ron is correct, feed in 076 is longer
    Last edited by dneal; November 29th, 2021 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

It’s in Ray-VIgo’s thread. Bock 076. Direct swap for the 060. You can screw in the complete assembly, swap just the nib and feed, or even just the nib.
    I forgot the nib number.... You need to swap both nib and feed, because they're longer than the 060. The 076 will safely fit in the cap.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    It’s in Ray-VIgo’s thread. Bock 076. Direct swap for the 060. You can screw in the complete assembly, swap just the nib and feed, or even just the nib.
    I forgot the nib number.... You need to swap both nib and feed, because they're longer than the 060. The 076 will safely fit in the cap.
    Oooof. You're right! I remembered that it looked identical to the old feed (before it got the Kaweco logo), but misremembered that it was longer.

Thanks

Pens that use converters should be made to fit standard international converters...why Kaweco makes pens that, if they take converters at all, have to use their own ones is beyond me.
    Another Pen Geek!
    www.peninvestigations.com