Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are dots so popular?

Thanks

Default Why are dots so popular?

I've never used a notebook with dots but a lot if people love the Rhodia dot pad. What is it about writing with dots that people like so much? Thanks for any answers.

Thanks

Default Re: Why are dots so popular?

I'm just guessing here, but it appears to me that dot paper is popular because it is as close as one can get to completely unlined and still have some guidance as to where the letters are to go.

In my own experience, I has used lined paper all my life. I printed off a couple sheets of dot-matrix paper, but using it was a "meh" experience, so I went back to lines. Then I went to unlined TR paper with a guide sheet underneath it, and finally I went commando -- unlined with no guide. Haven't looked back
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveBj For This Useful Post:

inklord (December 11th, 2015), ThriveToScribe (January 8th, 2016), VertOlive (December 10th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I like them because I need a guide to keep my writing straight but I almost never write in a size where *lined* paper fits my writing. Dots are perfect (for me). It just feels less constrained than lines and tends to disappear once you've filled the page, but I still have a guide to keep me writing in a straight line.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 21st, 2016), TSherbs (December 12th, 2015)

Thanks

Nice. I like lined and as you call it "commando" is fun as well. Writing looks so cool on unlined paper.

Thanks

5mm Dots are great for writing and drafting, similar to graph/square-ruled paper. I therefore use it for the same tasks as square-ruled, but prefer a guide sheet with both squares and lines under blank paper. I'm too 'unruly' a writer to go unguided....
    The recent upsurge in dot-grid paper is probably related to the recent upsurge in fountain pen popularity: a fad, that will, like all fad bubbles, sooner or later vanish again.

Thanks

[QUOTE=inklord;151970]5mm Dots are great for writing and drafting, similar to graph/square-ruled paper. I therefore use it for the same tasks as square-ruled, but prefer a guide sheet with both squares and lines under blank paper. I'm too 'unruly' a writer to go unguided....
    The recent upsurge in dot-grid paper is probably related to the recent upsurge in fountain pen popularity: a fad, that will, like all fad bubbles, sooner or later vanish again.[/QUOTE. I can't figure out how to reply without quoting, sorry. I like unruled but like lines as I don't have to write lines to write a treble clef. Do you think that fountain pens will die down? I must admit that I only have 2 as of now, but I can't go back lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Music and Ink View Post
    I can't figure out how to reply without quoting, sorry. I like unruled but like lines as I don't have to write lines to write a treble clef. Do you think that fountain pens will die down? I must admit that I only have 2 as of now, but I can't go back lol.
    There are two Reply icons available, one without quote, the other with quote.

The fountain pens won't die, as long as people like us keep using them *and* tell other people why we like to use them.

As for dot grid, I like it the first time I saw it, and when you use it, the dots just "disappear" and does not clash with the writings. And when you scan it, you can't barely see the dots.

For example:

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

inklord (December 12th, 2015), KKay (December 18th, 2015)

Thanks

Ah, thanks. This is the first forum that I've ever made an account for. I'm thinking about getting a Leuchturm with blank pages. I would like to learn to write without lines. I can already do it without terrible deviation. Nice picture. They really are hard to see. It works better for doodling than lined.

Thanks

Use a guide sheet underneath.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    I like them because I need a guide to keep my writing straight but I almost never write in a size where *lined* paper fits my writing. Dots are perfect (for me). It just feels less constrained than lines and tends to disappear once you've filled the page, but I still have a guide to keep me writing in a straight line.
    bingo

Thanks

[QUOTE=Music and Ink;151971]
    Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    5mm Dots are great for writing and drafting, similar to graph/square-ruled paper. I therefore use it for the same tasks as square-ruled, but prefer a guide sheet with both squares and lines under blank paper. I'm too 'unruly' a writer to go unguided....
    The recent upsurge in dot-grid paper is probably related to the recent upsurge in fountain pen popularity: a fad, that will, like all fad bubbles, sooner or later vanish again.[/QUOTE. I can't figure out how to reply without quoting, sorry. I like unruled but like lines as I don't have to write lines to write a treble clef. Do you think that fountain pens will die down? I must admit that I only have 2 as of now, but I can't go back lol.
    Well, look at other fads of the past, with people fancying stuff that's basically unnecessary: eventually a small core will remain loyal to the objects of any fashion, because these objects are part of their actual lifestyle rather than fashionable accessories. (I would assume many users of this forum will stick with their FP's) I have been writing with fountain pens for over 45 years, and they are my writing instrument of choice as well as habit. Not much could change that for what's left of my lifespan, I guess. But the current 'bubble' of FP use will probably subside rather sooner than later, considering that many kids I know can hardly print, let alone write in cursive with manual writing implements... btw. it's ok to post with quotes, this way we all can connect with the reference post right away.
    Meanwhile, just enjoy dots, blank pages, lines, pens, and inks!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Frank (December 17th, 2015)

Thanks

I was surprised myself how popular "Dots" paper is from Rhodia! I carry the lined, and plain pads, thinking that would be best. After two pen shows, I am convinced that I need to add "Dots" to my Rhodia inventory!

Frank
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

I love dot paper because I get smaller ruled lines. I tend to write on the small side and dislike wide ruled paper. I like unruled and can usually write reasonably straight without guides. (sans wine or vodka while writing, of course)
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

Because they're small and cute and roly-poly.

Also because they give you some guidance but practically disappear after you've written

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ted A For This Useful Post:

KKay (December 18th, 2015), Newjelan (February 25th, 2016)

Thanks

I just like dots

Thanks

In my own experience dots help me write a straight line and to maintain the letters size equal (as I tend to write them progressively smaller), but at the same time it's not so obtrusive as lines. What I mean is that dots don't "steal" attention from the text, so looking at a dot page is almost like looking at a blank page, it lets you focus on what's written.

Another advantage I see is that I'm not constrained by a fixed line height. I can write big or small, having the dots guiding me.

Thanks

I think a 5mm dot pad grid is a little small. I prefer 6mm or 7mm. I can go to 8mm, but that is the highest I can deal with.

Thanks

And with dots you can write in landscape or portrait orientation. Lines limit the page to portrait. I find that dots distract me just a tad too much sometimes, but are good for keeping me a little constrained when writing big bullet points.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    I think a 5mm dot pad grid is a little small. I prefer 6mm or 7mm. I can go to 8mm, but that is the highest I can deal with.
    I agree completely, and not just for a dot grid, but for any grid. 6-7mm (or 1/4 inch, if you will) is in more or less my sweet spot.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonmaster Lou For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

I can see why a lot of people like the dots. They're very subtle and when the page has been written on, you can't really see them. It's not as in your face as lines are. They give a good guide without sticking out too much.

That said, I prefer lines. That's what I've used all my life and am used to. However, I don't like them so dark that it clashes with the writing. They must be visible but not overly so. I tend to not use dots as much because they're SO light that I have a hard time seeing them.

Like Dave, I've gone "Commando"with TR paper and do surprisingly well with that. I used to be stinking horrible at writing in a straight line but have gotten somewhat better. Guess all that journal writing I do is paying off.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetnightingale For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (February 22nd, 2016), KKay (February 22nd, 2016)