Thread: Montblanc experts help please..

Thanks

Default Montblanc experts help please..

Hey guys..
    So today, I'm the proud new owner of a Montblanc 146 with a fine nib. It's beautiful. I've always been enamored with MB's from an outsider perspective and as I got into pens more seriously recently, it went on the grail list first. So about 3 weeks ago I was able to pick up this 146 from another forum's classified section.

I received it today and it's just as beautiful as I thought it would be. A perfect size too. I flushed it out, then inked it up with some Diamine Sargasso Sea and was ready to go!!
    One problem though (well 2).. it's doesn't work as expected.
    First problem: The pen skips.. badly. Especially when writing fast. Also hard starts like crazy. I looked at the tines under a loupe and there is a pretty big gap between the them. When it writes- it writes great, but when I stop for more than a few seconds it hard starts again. And like I said, skips along the way if writing fast.
    Because of this, I flushed the pen again and soaked the nib in warm water for a couple minutes. I noticed my hands getting really inky as I was flushing it for the second time.
    Which brings me to the
    Second Problem: If I've just emptied the pen (like squirted the unused ink back into the ink bottle), I hear some air release up by the piston knob as I twist it down, then a spray of ink spritzes out from the threads area of the piston knob. I kept doing it a couple times and quite a bit of ink is coming out of the piston knob as I twist it down.

What could be causing this? I purchased the pen from a user in Europe (I am in the U.S.), so I'd rather not send it all the way back if it's an easy fix.
    As MontBlanc professionals, what would you do?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc experts help please..

Not an easy fix, sounds like piston head is hopefully worn and letting ink get past. That's the good news. Second possibility is body is warped and that's a bigger issue.

But, it's likely either one could be solved by Montblanc under their Tier 1 service that generally is a less than $100.00 charge. They will also address the skipping issue at the same time if you include a sample showing what is happening.

Take your new pen into a Montblanc Boutique for a spa session and be sure to outline all the problems you have mentioned.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Unfortunately it sounds like the pen has some issues, and MB are not really user serviceable pens. The good news is that once serviced it will work well for decades (I have a 146 from the 70s that still doesn't need work). The bad news is it probably needs to go to MB, that means either sending it to them, or if you are lucky enough to have a boutique in your area seeing if it something they can fix in house. (If they can't they'll send the pen on for you). Generally MB charges a flat rate, I'm not sure what that is right now but will probably be around $100. It will come back good as new but be sure to explain to them *all* the problems you have encountered.

(If it were just a nib issue there are a number of good nib meisters who could fix it for you, the piston makes it more complicated, alas.)
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I'd return it or ask for a partial refund to cover the repairs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I'd return it or ask for a partial refund to cover the repairs.
    I think I will do that. I wouldn't mind keeping it, but if the asking price was $100 more I wouldn't have bought it.
    It's not like drastically leaking ink while filled or anything, but it spurts from the 2 'tool' holes. The brass from the piston isn't even brass colored anymore because of all the ink that has hit it in the past.
    I may have worked out the nib problem with a minor adjustment..still has some hard starts though.
    If I keep the pen, I would probably want it ground to a stub.. does anyone know any repair guys that can do both? Or is MB the only place to go for replacement parts and such?

Thanks

Getting a fine nib made into a stub nib is usually a matter of first getting tipping added not of grinding material way. Sure there are repair folk that can do both but you just keep adding to the costs.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

A fine *can* be made into an italic (I don't know about a stub I find them far too blunt for my taste). I have a Fine Vanishing Point nib that John Mottishaw ground into a lovely (to me) italic. Yes it's sharp but oh is it sweet. So it can be done, but you'd want a real expect. And if the brass piston assembly has been exposed to ink enough to be damaged... you do not want that pen. Either return to get the seller to pay for a full Montblanc service!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm trying to work out a refund for the amount of service at about $90..
    I can also see a few little marks on the gold band under the piston knob. They look like the gold is bent slightly. Would this be covered too on a service? I've read where they've replaced clips cracked caps on a tier 1 service so I assume it would be covered.
    Basically I just want the pen to be in 100% working order. It doesn't have to LOOK brand new as it's not, but I can actually feel the imperfections around the piston band.

So all in all, I would want them to:
    - replace or fix the piston mechanism so it doesn't spurt ink when tightening the piston knob
    - lube piston / clean insides
    - fix the starting/skipping issues with the nib
    - replace piston gold band
    - overall polish/clean the outside of pen

So here's another question.. Will they preform the service if the previous owner has disassembled the pen? Because frankly, I don't know if that's the case or not.. and the small marks on the piston ring make me think that could be the case.

Thanks

They will likely fix most everything except the metal band at the piston knob. That would be only cosmetic so not sure that would get addressed. Be sure to include a writing sample on paper you normally us so they can see the skipping. No need to specify the ink but a generic blue shows best.

Thanks

It's not skipping as much as it's start/stops. It just won't start until I tap the point on the paper a dozen times, then it will write until it 'runs out' of ink and won't write at all. Then tap, tap, tap, then rinse and repeat.
    My current theory, which could be completely wrong; is that because air is coming through the piston knob, the capillarity is becoming retarded. It's as though the feed isn't getting ink. When I turn the piston and fill the feed; it writes again.
    Either way, I'll be happy if it consistently works. I'll be calling MB tomorrow for instructions and hopefully get this all cleared up and start enjoying my new MontBlanc!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 13aphomet View Post
    It's not skipping as much as it's start/stops. It just won't start until I tap the point on the paper a dozen times, then it will write until it 'runs out' of ink and won't write at all. Then tap, tap, tap, then rinse and repeat.
    My current theory, which could be completely wrong; is that because air is coming through the piston knob, the capillarity is becoming retarded. It's as though the feed isn't getting ink. When I turn the piston and fill the feed; it writes again.
    One of the simpler explanations for behavior like this (presumably not the only explanation, mind you, so I'm not saying that this is the explanation or anything) occurs with a wide variety of pens, even new pens. It occurs when the gap between the feed an the nib is too large. Rule of thumb is that an ordinary sheet of paper will fit between the nib and feed but with some drag, i.e., the paper will be "grabbed" a bit. Too tight and you can't get the paper between the nib and feed at all. Too loose and the paper slips in and out easily. Anyway, if the gap between the nib and the feed is too large, it will write as long as there's ink aplenty in the feed, enough ink to fill the gap. But when the pen is idle, the ink recedes, and then there's just air underneath the nib where there needs to be ink, and it won't write again until enough ink shows up to fill the gap again. Forcing ink down into the feed fills it, so the pen writes. Obviously the fix for that is simply adjust the feed properly, which I assume Montblanc would do.
    --
    Mike

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 16th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 13aphomet View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'm trying to work out a refund for the amount of service at about $90..
    I can also see a few little marks on the gold band under the piston knob. They look like the gold is bent slightly. Would this be covered too on a service? I've read where they've replaced clips cracked caps on a tier 1 service so I assume it would be covered.
    Basically I just want the pen to be in 100% working order. It doesn't have to LOOK brand new as it's not, but I can actually feel the imperfections around the piston band.

So all in all, I would want them to:
    - replace or fix the piston mechanism so it doesn't spurt ink when tightening the piston knob
    - lube piston / clean insides
    - fix the starting/skipping issues with the nib
    - replace piston gold band
    - overall polish/clean the outside of pen

So here's another question.. Will they preform the service if the previous owner has disassembled the pen? Because frankly, I don't know if that's the case or not.. and the small marks on the piston ring make me think that could be the case.

I'm confident that if you say those are the parts that you feel need to be replaced, then they will replace them. They are unlikely to refit a gold band between the pen and the piston cone that is already bent or damaged. They will also change the barrel, rather than just lube the insides.

The fact that a previous owner may have damaged the pen won't make a difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm confident that if you say those are the parts that you feel need to be replaced, then they will replace them. They are unlikely to refit a gold band between the pen and the piston cone that is already bent or damaged. They will also change the barrel, rather than just lube the insides.

The fact that a previous owner may have damaged the pen won't make a difference.
    Thanks Crissy! I called them today. They didn't give me much info besides to send it in with a cover letter.. I DID though, hear the classiest 'hold' music and message that I've ever heard... so that's something.
    I packed her up and shipped her out. Here's hoping for the best.

Thanks everyone! You've been enormously helpful!