Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cross pens universally hated?

Thanks

Default Re: Cross pens universally hated?

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Realize that Cross has essentially 3 levels of products; low, mid and high priced. If you only look at the lowest level of any companies products, you won't get an appreciation for their pens.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I like my original Cross Century, both the fountain pen and ball pen. But I also like slimline pens, so the slim ball pen fits perfectly.
    I found the later pens too fat for my hand, as I mentioned like slimline pens.
    However, I like the newest Classic Century and the pen it was based off, the Spire. NICE pens.
    You raise a good point. It irks me the most when someone tries out the cheapest Cross sold in the blister packs at Staples, and compares that experience with other higher end brand pens and dismisses the entire Cross brand based on that one experience.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Dog For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (January 19th, 2016)

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dog View Post
    Is Cross universally hated? Highly doubt it. I think there are a lot of Cross fans out there. It's just that they are absent from the fountain pen discussion community.

Cross just never got into fountain pens and focused more on the ballpoint/roller ball market. Go to any Staples/Office Depot today and Cross BP/RB refills take up more shelf space than most other brand refills so I think they are doing OK. They just bought Sheaffer didn't they.

I don't think the typical Cross pen owner frequents fountain pen forums, attends pen shows, nor watch pen reviews on youtube. They typically receive a Cross as a gift or buy one because they want a quality luxury pen that is going to last, and they are happy/content owning that one Cross for a long time. Only if they lose it would they go searching for another pen, usually another Cross.

Try a Townsend or Verve fountain pen and you will see they make a top notch writer.
    After reading some reviews and forum comments I decided to look at some at a brick & mortar. I got to actually handle and write with some of the higher level quality pens..........and bought two. A Townsend and a Sauvage. Townsend Cherry Blossom and its a perfect writer & not too heavy for me. Sauvage Giraffe is a teeny bit out of alignment or a very small sweet spot, unsure which at this time, it writes ok though. I will not collect or be a #1 Cross fan but I am glad I got them and cannot disparage their higher level pens.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

Time for some Cross reviews maybe.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gbryal For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (January 19th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Music and Ink View Post
    I just got my first fountain pen a year ago. A Cross Adventura. And I found through youtube that almost no one has videos about it. Even The Pen Habit admitted that he had incredibly negative opinions of Cross even though he had never used one. (He changed after trying out the Cross Century. But I have tried other fountain pens and the Cross doesn't seem bad to me. It starts up immediately even if not used for days and has decent line variation. It also has a nice looking style. Has anyone used a cross adventura? And if so, what did you think? Thanks for reading all this!
    I wonder where people get such ideas. My wife will often relate to me some of the rubbish people post on facebook when they quote some unverified stuff found on the internet. The misinformation highway.

Thanks

"If it's on the internet is has to be true" ... snicker
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    "If it's on the internet is has to be true" ... snicker
    I think you are onto something there.

I have never had a Cross pen that wasn't a nice writing and nice looking pen.

Cross universally hated? Balderdash.

Thanks

I own two Cross "mid-range" pens--a gunmetal Townsend and a chrome checkerboard-etched Century II (both have gold-plaed nibs). They both look nice, are made well, are nicely balanced, and write smoothly. And they don't leak--which is more than I can say for some of the "vintage" Sheaffer, Parker, Waterman, and Montblancs I've owned.

I've never understood why Cross fountain pens get such a bad rap. Cross ball pens are some of the best in the business in their price range, and IMO, their fountain pens are no different--solid, well-balanced, and reliable.

They may not be the most beautiful, extravagant or luxurious pens on the market, but as "daily drivers", they just work.

Personally, I'd rather have a pen that was a little plain-looking but just worked, than a pen that looks amazing, but it fidgety, unreliable, and messy...

Thanks

The thread has inspired me to ink all of my Crosses and acquire another one and try them on different papers and see what they are about.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gbryal For This Useful Post:

Bri (January 21st, 2016), Marsilius (January 19th, 2016)

Thanks

I would say cross ball points are complete trash I have had awful luck with them! But this thread inspired me to pick up another cross fp! They are just some great smooth hard working nibs!

Thanks

Speaking of "Cross Hatred", why is there no Cross section in the "Brand Focus" section of this forum? Seems to me that the hatred of Cross FPs is more than just "internet misinformation". It's almost institutional in the FP community.

Not a slam on this forum, just sayin'...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeminarianMike View Post
    I would say cross ball points are complete trash I have had awful luck with them! But this thread inspired me to pick up another cross fp! They are just some great smooth hard working nibs!
    I dont know about that. Cross ball points seem to be popular and selling well by just the sheer volume of Cross refills in retail shelves being sold.

Thanks

There is a Cross subforum in the Fountainpennetworks forum.
    Cross fans generally arent the type that frequent pen forums to talk about their pens. Their absence in the FP community does not mean they dont exist.
    I would guess Cross sells more fountainpens in a year than the average boutique FP makers sells in a life time or several years anyway.
    Last edited by Max Dog; January 17th, 2016 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks

I would love one of those cross sterling silver Townsend!

Thanks

3 Cross Townsends here. Some of the smoothest nibs I have. Amazing nibs. I think over the years Cross didnt have much variety and that translated into low interest. I still really like mine as daily users. The most inovative nib was the Verve, quite popular, then unfortunately discontinued. It's things like that, I believe, that took them out of the market.

Thanks

Yes there was a time from the 1950s through to 90's when Cross were the high end luxury pens to have, more so than Montblanc. It was the office pen every professional had right up to the executives. Company's gifted them to high achieving employees. They were crafted in the USA with a lifetime guarantee. Nothing quite compared to a solidly made Cross! Cross pens with their luxurious gold and silver finishes were like jewellery and some of their lacquered pens were breathtaking. After the Boss family century old ties in the company ended some time towards the end of the last Century, new CEO Whalen (former CEO of Rayban) took the reins of Cross and ran it like a Sunglass company like pens were fashion accessories. The brand image took a dive. Whalen is gone and under new leadership, Cross is trying to turn the brand image around. They are producing more higher end pens like the Peerless 125 and Townsends with more luxurious finishes. The latest one I saw eclipsed the $1000 mark. It will take some time but I think they do have a strong enough following and loyalty to do it. After all US Presidents still use the Townsend to sign bills.
    Last edited by Max Dog; January 20th, 2016 at 10:45 PM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Max Dog For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (January 20th, 2016), jvlgato (January 26th, 2016), Marsilius (January 19th, 2016), pajaro (January 26th, 2016)

Thanks

I have a soft spot for Cross, given how I live and grew up fairly close to their HQ. I kind of lost interest in them once I found out they no longer manufacture their pens near their HQ and instead do their manufacturing overseas. Still, I admit that the Peerless and higher end Townsends are nice looking pens, IMHO.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonmaster Lou For This Useful Post:

Bri (January 21st, 2016)

Thanks

Some of my first fountain pens were the Cross ATX Sport models in
    bright plastic. Wonderful smooth (Pilot?) nibs. Reliable and well balanced.

Thanks

I have a chrome Townsend that must be their least expensive one. It is a great pen with a great feel.

I am still using some Century pens bought in the 1970s to 1980. What's not to like there?

I don't like that they moved manufacturing to China. Then again I have all the pens I will ever need, and don't need to buy any more. I wouldn't mind getting a secondhand light green ATX, though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeminarianMike View Post
    I would say that it was the situation with many ball pens back in the 70s and 80s, many did not write well. Papermate, Sheaffer, Bic, etc.
    IMHO, that is why the roller ball pens then later the gel pens took off when they came out. Wrote like a ball pen, but without the heavy drag and need to press hard, of a ball pen.
    It was just a technical limitation of the ball pen technology at the time.
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks

I was given a Cross Stratford as a present by a relative for Christmas, so instantly it had sentimental value. Aside from that, I really do like the pen. It is comfortable to write with, as I already enjoyed slimmer pens anyway. I think the lacquer feels nice and doesn't give me the impression that it would chip or fade - though I only use it at home in a normal rotation.
    The nib is a very smooth medium.
    Not sure what everyone thinks about Cross inks either, but I happen to love Cross's Black. It is a nice True black.

As Dragonmaster Lou and pajaro have stated, the brand has moved operations out of the country. I find it very disappointing when any company makes that decision - for whatever reason.
    Sometimes, I don't worry so much of quality as I do job/business loss and ensuing effects here in our own country.
    Having said that, if a family member gave me a stick from the yard with a nib glued onto the end of it, it would still hold value to me and I would probably use it!
    ( maybe I lost all credibility - if I had any to start with - with that last statement, but that's how I feel )