Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I may have a problem

Thanks

Default Re: I think I may have a problem

My order got here!!! If I had a dip pen, I could try these out pretty quick... but I don't fill the ink up until it's full. It depends on the ink. I usually put close to half a converter in to try. Then if I really think it is a contender, I fill it in another pen later. So it takes me quite some time to get through sample testing. There is no rush, but it will be cool to see what I decide, in the long run.

Thanks

I tested the Pelikan Topaz. The color is outstanding. But for me, I did not find quite the shading I was looking for. (it does have shading though) The J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche shades very good, but it is very light. The Diamine Turquoise has shading, and it is almost identical to the Bleu Pervenche, but a shade darker. I have also tried the Noodler's Navajo Turquoise, and the color was darker than all the ones I tested thus far, in turquoise. It had excellent shading too. But alas, it feathered and bled a little, which knocked it out of the running. I am going to write more with the Diamine Turquoise. I will spend more time to see how it performs against the Bleu Pervenche. Right now they are so close, I wouldn't buy the Diamine Turquoise, unless the Bleu Pervenche was used up. (they are that close) These are just some rambling statements, for those interested...

I also updated my list, that is found on page 1 of this thread.

I went back and compared the Pelikan Edelstein Topaz to the Diamine Turquoise again. I prefer the color of the Topaz, but the shading of the Diamine Turquoise. I wonder what they would look like MIXED? LOL.

The more this rocks on, the more I know 12 inks aren't going to satisfy me. Ugh...
    Last edited by KKay; January 28th, 2016 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    The more this rocks on, the more I know 12 inks aren't going to satisfy me. Ugh...
    Welcome to the insanity! I think most of us were where you are at when we first started
    If you want to go a little more nuts with bright blue/turquoise colors, check out Toucan Bright Blue, Private Reserve Naples Blue, and Pelikan 4001 Turquoise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

KKay (January 29th, 2016)

Thanks

"There is no way I could use that much ink."
    If I used all the ink... they'd have to open a new library. That 350mL Pilot blue black is good for a shelf or two.

Noodlers Navajo is best used both diluted and mixed with various amounts of Blue. Topaz is perilously close to the much cheaper 4001 or Waterman 'quoises.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to radellaf For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 2nd, 2016)

Thanks

Well I guess I must look in to the Pelikan and see some reviews. The Topaz had a lovely color to it, but very little shading, with the pens I have. I thought the Navajo Turquioise was very nice on shading. However, it did not do well on cheap paper for me. It bled and feathered. On good paper though, it did quite well. I did order a small bottle of the Syrah though. (30ml) The only reason I didn't order a larger one is because I feel I will be ordering several more bottles of ink, and there is no way I could put a dent in what I already have. I do have a couple of friends who use a fountain pen, but they only have a very small selection of ink. That is about to change for them...lol. I am going to give them the sample bottles I have, from ink I buy a bottle of. They will also be able to get just about any color I have, so I am going to share it with them. They only use vintage pens, where I've only had new pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

How's your "problem" going?

Thanks

Well, I have been able to discount some. The problem is others made their way to the list...lol. Still it is way less than it was. As I am able to do more samples, I will know more how many bottles of ink I will be buying. (or try to keep myself there) I recently realized my number of 12, was seriously too low. As I said I just bought a bottle of Syrah. But I did test it against the Oxblood. I do have two turquoise already in my possession, but want another. I already had the J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche when I started this thread. Then my friend bought me the Diamine-Marine. Still for green and turquoise, I will be splurging there a bit. There are more samples that have not been tested. I will get them done as I am able. Right now I have the Syrah in one pen, Brandy Dazzle in another, Diamine Marine in the last pen. The Brandy Dazzle is not going to work for my Edison Collier Fine nib. I am going to get a wider nib, and see how it does in that. It is hard starting, even though I shake the pen, before use. Now and then I give it a little shake, as I write. I like that color, and the shimmer very much. But I don't think it is meant for a fine nib at all.

Thanks

remember what the doormouse said

feed your head

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (February 11th, 2016)

Thanks

I don't really know what that means. But if you mean don't go overboard, I get that. I will have to look at my list to make sure, but I think I will probably have 16-18 when it's all said and done. Don't quote me on that. I won't be able to get them all at once, just as I can, over time.

Thanks

Re: Brandy Dazzle.
    I haven't tried that specific ink yet, but I've played with the Blue Lightning from the series and I've come up with a few things that help with the hard start.
    1) Always store the pen Nib up. Laying it on its side allows the particles to settle, and sometimes it ends up in the feed.
    2) I tap the pen a couple times before storing to get whatever excess out of the nib and feed.
    3) Rotate the pen every so often, or add flourishes to your writing. It helps excite the particulate in the ink.
    4) Wide is your friend! I used the ink in a 1.4mm TWSBI stub and aside form the initial DOH! moment of storing it on its side, I never had a hard start.

The next step is to try it in my Pilot Parallels. There's another ink that seems heavy with particulate that states that it should not be used with fountain pens, with the exception of the Parallels. They're also the wettest writers I have tried to date.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks. I always store my pens on their side. Maybe when I have the shimmer inks in there, it would be a good idea to store tip up. This nib will dry, if you don't use it fairly quick, that is one reason I always store in on it's side. I haven't had a problem with that pen for anything but the shimmery type ink. I will take note of your tips, and hope this resolves the matter. As I do like this ink very much. Thank you.

Funny, I used the pen just now, and it wrote without any hard starting at all. I think I will try to remember to rotate the pen, or lightly shake while I am writing with it, occasionally. I am going to clean this pen anyway in a while. Time for more testing! Naimitsu, I did write your tips down in my notebook. That just may save the day for me.
    Last edited by KKay; February 3rd, 2016 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

remember what the doormouse said

feed your head

https://www.whiterabbitexpress.com

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesea For This Useful Post:

KKay (March 7th, 2016)

Thanks

RE:
    Remember what the dormouse said. Feed your head.

It means, give your mind some artistic stew or logical bread and other such tidbits. It's from a old Jefferson Airplane song, White Rabbit. It includes Alice too.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RudyR For This Useful Post:

KKay (March 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Ah, thanks. I remember the song, but didn't know what that dormouse part meant. I guess you have to be in the "right frame of mind", to really get it...lol. I do remember reading a book called Go Ask Alice, when I was a teenager. If they discussed the dormouse in that book, I don't recall it. That was many moons ago, and I've slept since then.

Thanks

Ah, thanks. I remember the song, but didn't know what that dormouse part meant. I guess you have to be in the "right frame of mind", to really get it...lol. I do remember reading a book called Go Ask Alice, when I was a teenager. If they discussed the dormouse in that book, I don't recall it. That was many moons ago, and I've slept since then.

I simply meant that you were feeding your "head" (thus your various explanations) with various reasons to purchase new inks (like Alice's "pills"). Like Matt Armstrong suggests in calling his site "the penhabit".

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

KKay (March 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Got it, thanks for your comments.

Thanks

Tried out two new colors today. J. Herbin-Lie de The, & Pelikan Edelstein-Jade. The Jade is very nice, I may end up getting that one. But I do need to try out more greens first.

Thanks

Oh these greens. I want them all...lol. I just tried the J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage. I liked it even better than I thought I would. It is a true green, and has enough shading to keep me very happy. I see a lot of inks shade, when I print. But when I use cursive, the shading doesn't show as much, sadly. I think I will try the Sherwood Green later today.

Thanks

I just tried the Diamine-Sargasso Sea. Actually it was lighter in color, than I thought it would be. (I was using a western fine nib though) I did have some shading, and a little sheen, even though I was using the fine nib. It is a darker blue, but not even close to a navy blue. I found the drying time to be about 24-25 seconds on my paper, which is the longest drying ink I've ever tried, since I started doing the dry test. I am not sure I will buy this, but I am definitely not saying I won't either. I will give it more time, and see what I think. I wasn't going to buy a regular darker blue, but I found something in this one, that spoke to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,485 Times in 1,746 Posts

Oh these greens. I want them all...lol. I just tried the J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage. I liked it even better than I thought I would. It is a true green, and has enough shading to keep me very happy. I see a lot of inks shade, when I print. But when I use cursive, the shading doesn't show as much, sadly. I think I will try the Sherwood Green later today.

Maybe you write faster in cursive, and that could have something to do with less shading?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 9th, 2016)