Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: I think I may have a problem

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Default Re: I think I may have a problem

That's a nice-looking blue.

Thanks

Thanks TSherbs. I have really enjoyed using that color. The converter it was in was quite large, and I filled it up. It is almost empty now. I need to clean it in a day or two. Then I will know whether it needs additional tweaking or not. I will need a 30 ml bottle of Midnight, and Majestic Blue. Then I can make myself a bigger batch with it, with the Sargasso Sea I've already got. I like this mixture better than any of the blues by themselves, in that color range. (that I've tried)

Thanks

Today I loaded up the Edison-Collier with the Diamine-Steel Blue. It was a lovely color, and shades extremely well. However I will not be buying it for the immediate future. It did feather slightly on Apica Premium, but not on Clairefontaine, or Tomoe River paper. I already have Diamine-Marine, and Edelstein-Jade. It seems very close to both of them. I need a little more variety. So all of the samples I had to try from the list, but one, have been tried. I updated the list on page one again.

Now, as to my blue mix. I had it in my Edison Collier pen, and I cleaned out the pen. I was impressed with how well it cleaned. I do not think I need to change the recipe. I might get a sample of Diamine-Asa Blue in the future. But I am very pleased with the mixture as is. I had it in my pen for several days. So in the future I would most likely like to buy a 30ml bottle of Diamine-Midnight, and Diamine-Majestic Blue, so I can make a larger mix of this. This will go into an empty bottle, and be my "go to" blue ink. Of course they will be mixed with Sargasso Sea, which I already have. (plus a little water) I believe I will call it KKay's Perfect Blue. I have a few other samples here that were given to me. I will continue to test them out, as time permits.

The main thing I must concern myself with is deciding between Edelstein-Topaz, or Diamine-Havasu Turquoise. I like both very much. I need to try the Havasu Turquoise in a smaller nib. All of my turquoise samples have been tried now. It will be a tough decision for me between the Topaz, and Havasu Turquoise. If Topaz cannot be found (limited edition), when I am able to buy...that will settle the matter entirely. It will be some time before I will be able to purchase any ink at all.
    Last edited by KKay; May 30th, 2016 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks

This evening I tested the Havasu Turquoise in the same smaller sized nib, as I previously had with the Edelstein Topaz. I love both of them. Edelstein-Topaz does better on cheaper paper, than the Havasu Turquoise. Havasu Turquoise is a darker color than Topaz. I think Topaz is a little better than Havasu Turquoise. Is it worth almost double that the Havasu Turquoise goes for? That would be a personal preference. If you wrote on cheaper paper, definitely get the Topaz. If you write on quality paper, and don't mind a little darker color...and want to pay less, go with the Havasu Turquoise. I must say that the Aqua Lagoon was a perfect turquoise color. It didn't make the list for me, because it didn't have enough shading for me. If it had shading like the Diamine-Steel Blue, I would've probably went with that one for a new buy instead. I know some may disagree with my thoughts on this. But that is my conclusion. The Topaz was divine, and I'd love to have all of the colors mentioned. But I have to try to keep my purchases in the future to a minimum. So it is sad, but Topaz is going off the turquoise list. Havasu Turquoise is a very nice shader, and well behaved. On printer paper it did feather a little, but not bad. It goes on darker, but as it dries, it lightens up. Remember I already have Bleu Pervenche and Marine turquoise inks anyway. If I get the Havasu Turquoise in the future, it will be different enough from the other two. Havasu Turquoise also looks different in different pens. On Tomoe River paper it is lovely, and hasn't given me a bit of trouble. (I say that because it is my favorite journal paper)

I looked at Goulet Pens at the Havasu Turquoise color, as well as Edelstein-Topaz. They show Topaz as being darker than Havasu Turquoise. All I can do is go by the samples I have, and the pens. I think the pen does make a difference in the ink color too.

Also once I use up either Edelstein-Jade, or Diamine-Marine, I will most likely buy Diamine-Steel Blue. I don't suspect that will be for quite a while though. It maybe a long time before I finish one of those bottles.
    Last edited by KKay; June 3rd, 2016 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks

I am almost done. I have two blue samples to try, one purple, and one black. I added Rohrer & Klingner-Cassia. It was a sample given to me recently. I bought the black sample a good while back. The other ones left are samples given to me. I looked over the wish list. I have no idea how I'm gonna cull that list. They are all spectacular inks!

Thanks

Amanita Muscaria by Sailor is very nice. I love the color. I will have to try to find a substitute for it. I found 4 that may work. Noodler's-Cayenne, Habanero, Fox....or Iroshizuku-Fuyu Gaki. I also saw a blue I like very much called Dr. PH Martin Ocean Edge Blue. I didn't sample the blue one, but saw it on Tomoe River paper. I have finished all of the samples I have on hand. So several months have gone by, and I've finally finished all of the samples. Whew.

Oh, the Sailor Kiwa-Guro was nice. I would like to get a bottle in the future. I do wish they sold it in 25-30ml bottles though. There is no way I would ever use a whole bottle of that one.
    Last edited by KKay; July 10th, 2016 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,744 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    Amanita Muscaria by Sailor is very nice. I love the color. I will have to try to find a substitute for it. I found 4 that may work. Noodler's-Cayenne, Habanero, Fox....or Iroshizuku-Fuyu Gaki. I also saw a blue I like very much called Dr. PH Martin Ocean Edge Blue. I didn't sample the blue one, but saw it on Tomoe River paper. I have finished all of the samples I have on hand. So several months have gone by, and I've finally finished all of the samples. Whew.

Oh, the Sailor Kiwa-Guro was nice. I would like to get a bottle in the future. I do wish they sold it in 25-30ml bottles though. There is no way I would ever use a whole bottle of that one.
    I had a sample of Fuyu-Gaki. VERY well-behaved.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 10th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    Amanita Muscaria by Sailor is very nice. I love the color. I will have to try to find a substitute for it. I found 4 that may work. Noodler's-Cayenne, Habanero, Fox....or Iroshizuku-Fuyu Gaki.
    Fuyu-gaki is too orange but Omaezaki Sunset could almost be the same ink as Amanita. Vanness often have it in stock.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 11th, 2016)

Thanks

Migo, thank you for the recommendation. I looked, and it does look good for sure. But it is out of my price range. I will write it down, just for reference sake. I'm just doing a future wish list for ink now. I am not able to make any purchases for the time being. The ones I'm interested in have been updated on page one. When I am able, I will already have a list of inks to choose from. (post 4 of this thread on page one) If anyone else knows of a substitute for the Amanita Muscaria by Sailor please let me know. (it is a reddish orange to me)

This thread started Dec.13th. I originally wanted to find 12 colors. At that time I had 38 colors listed. But after trying different ones, reading about others, and lots of samples...the list grew again. Some went off the list, others were added. Reading reviews has also made me interested in other inks. The Dr. PH Martin ink was added just because I saw someone's writing with it. I don't guess you can buy samples of it. So in reality the list was cut much shorter than it was originally. I underestimated how lovely some inks would be. I've also had samples sent to me that weren't on that list. I also bought quite a few samples in the past. So it was almost 7 months on the ink journey. Now I am just going to enjoy the inks I have in my possession. It was an exciting adventure trying out all of those inks.
    Last edited by KKay; July 11th, 2016 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks

Well I believe I am going to fail at keeping the limit on ink. I did try to keep a lid on it. I tried Franklin-Christoph Midnight Emerald. I had to have it. I got the Dromgoole's sample of USS Texas. I am going to have to buy that ink. So I did make an honest effort, but I give up now. I will still "try to keep it within reason", but ultimately I know that I'm going way above my initial projections.