Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moleskine Issues

Thanks

Default Moleskine Issues

I have been using Moleskine journals exclusivley for about 5 years now and I am just getting into fountain pens. Up until this point I have been using ball points and roller balls but once I switched to a fountain pen I an having HUGE feathering and bleed through issues. I used my new Pilot 78G Fine tonight and I was even having issues big enough to notice with a pen that fine. I have another small Moleskine and a Rhodia note pad that I use at work and I am not having any issues with them at all. In your experience, is there that much of a quality control issue with Moleskine? I have to not finish a journal but this one is about to have the finished pages ripped out and put into a new Rhodia. Gotta use these new fountain pens!

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Moleskine journals are not fountain pen friendly at all. The only ink I've used without much bleed through consistently are the iron gall inks from Rohrer & Klinger, Montblanc and Akkerman.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Moleskine paper is hit or miss, historically mostly miss. Some people report better results lately but generally its a no go for tour fountain pens.

Thanks

Other than the limited editions, Moleskine's paper is poor, especially at a premium price!

If you're carrying on with them, fine nibs, and dry-ish inks (Pelikan Blue/Black) for example will be fine.

Inkyjournal rates inks on the basis of Moleskine friendliness, search on their "100% Moleskine Friendly" tag.

http://inkyjournal.blogspot.co.uk/se...ne-proof%20ink

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

I would wholeheartedly agree with everything that's been said. In my experience, regular Moleskine notebooks are terrible. The premium special edition ones like the Lego edition is pretty good. I've had an overall good experience with it but there's still inconsistencies within in the notebook. My personal favorite is Rhodia and it's what I recommend to most people.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

I'll second Rhodia and add Claire Fontaine, both my go to paper for everyday use of my fountain pens at work. The down side of using fountain pens is that I need to buy almost all of my work supplies myself. The government is getting off easy!!! :-)

Thanks

I've had the same experiance with the Moleskine notebooks as well. I ended up switching to Rhodia notebooks when I want everything to be perfect. For everyday on the go notes I carry a Field Notes notebook with me. Nice and thin and fits in the back pocket great. The paper tends to bleed and feather with anything above a dry medium nib but I just use them for lists and to-dos so it's no biggie to me. Fraction of the price of the moleskines too!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

My first 'skine was quite bad...a lot of bleed-through as you said, but my second one is a bit better--still feathering and bleed-through with any ink, but to a lesser degree. I don't carry a journal, but just keep a tiny 'skine at my bedside table.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

USe a dry ink and a fine to extra fine nib with them and they are okay, at most.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    USe a dry ink and a fine to extra fine nib with them and they are okay, at most.
    True...an Esterbrook XF with Diamine Macassar was actually O.K...but anything broader, and you're only using one side of each sheet.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

I don't know how much finer you can get than my Pilot 78G but that bleeds through and feathers like a champ. I'm thinking I might abandon ship on the Moleskine and just move over to a Rhodia or Clair Fontaine stitch bound. Small price to pay for using a pen I actually enjoy though

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

The 78G is a pretty wet pen if the rest of my Pilots are anything to go by.

Thanks

Mine must be an exception to the rule. I had to make mine a little wetter. My feed wouldn't keep up with my writing all of the time out of the box and I am not even a fast writer. No worries here though, having my previous Moleskine devotion shattered I am not excited to try out some new paper. I can handle crappy, feathering paper at work because I mostly take short notes but it is totally unacceptable for the, should be, absolutely enjoyable experience of journaling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

The big advantage Moleskine has is that is is readily available.

I think the main thing is try different combinations until you find one that works for you.

Just ordered the Moleskine The Hobbit Hard Plain Pocket Notebook (Notebook/blank book) for drawing. I expect nearly any of the pen, fountain or pigment I will use will show through to some extent then again that happens with all other notebooks too (Rhodia & Leuchtturm etc).
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

I've found that the moleskine cahiers are terrible for bleeding, feathering etc. however, just bought a couple of Moleskine 80-page notebooks; paper is different to the cahiers - seem heavier, and more dense. Minimal feathering and no bleed on these.

Regards,

Pete Mac in Melbourne

Pete Mac in Melbourne, Australia.

Lover of pens of all sorts...
    But Lamy FP's are favourites
    And Chinese FP's are fascinating!

Thanks

I think the 80 page book is the sketchbook, Peter - anecdotally (I'll not buy Moleskine again, personally) I'm told the paper is way better for fountain pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

An ink that really helps on Moleskine is Lamy Blue-Black. Not the most exciting ink but it controls the bleed and feathering.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

The only issues I have with my Moleskine is that they tend to burn too quickly and don't give off the satisfying heat of say a piece of oak or a bassoon.

Sorry if that was inflammatory. Or inFLAMEatory. See what I did there?

Moderators, be gentle.

Thanks

Maybe I will go back in my stack of filled Moleskines and test each book with my 78G and see what happens just for kicks. I will report back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John the Monkey View Post
    I think the 80 page book is the sketchbook, Peter - anecdotally (I'll not buy Moleskine again, personally) I'm told the paper is way better for fountain pens.
    Could be. I forgot to mention though that I was referring to the pocket size notebooks. Apologies for any confusion.

Pete Mac in Melbourne, Australia.

Lover of pens of all sorts...
    But Lamy FP's are favourites
    And Chinese FP's are fascinating!