Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pelikan Athens City Series Fountain Pen

Thanks

Default Re: Pelikan Athens City Series Fountain Pen

I never would have imagined such passionate discussions here on FPN :-)

Personally, I'm fine paying the right price for the right product. And when sme sells something with a good profit and in all honesty, I'm just happy for this guy, and congratulate him.

I forgot to say that I am a fountain pen seller from Switzerland, and sold last month an Athens for 850$ to a good client of mine. He's over the moon with it. Call me greedy?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swisspens View Post
    I never would have imagined such passionate discussions here on FPN :-)

Personally, I'm fine paying the right price for the right product. And when sme sells something with a good profit and in all honesty, I'm just happy for this guy, and congratulate him.

I forgot to say that I am a fountain pen seller from Switzerland, and sold last month an Athens for 850$ to a good client of mine. He's over the moon with it. Call me greedy?
    No, I won't call you greedy and I'm happy for you and your client.
    But you may start another "passionate discussion" with the end of your first sentence as I quote above
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

The precise reason we can have discussions like this is the substitution of the letter G for the letter N.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

ChrisC (January 4th, 2016), Crazyorange (January 5th, 2016), Hawk (January 4th, 2016), Marsilius (January 4th, 2016), reprieve (January 5th, 2016)

Thanks

well, that's just one letter, does it that much matter?

Ok, fair enough :-)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swisspens For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (January 4th, 2016), penwash (January 4th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swisspens View Post
    well, that's just one letter, does it that much matter?

Ok, fair enough :-)
    Be careful, or I'll start thinking about making the decision on whether to call you greedy or not...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (January 4th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    The precise reason we can have discussions like this is the substitution of the letter G for the letter N.
    One day, I wouldn't mind the reader's digest version of how FPN got its reputation, the good and the bad.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    One day, I wouldn't mind the reader's digest version of how FPN got its reputation, the good and the bad.

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 6th, 2016), dr.grace (January 5th, 2016), Marsilius (January 5th, 2016), reprieve (January 5th, 2016), Woody (January 6th, 2016)

Thanks

A couple of posters compared FPGeeks with other special-interest forums, and I'd like to add a comment regarding how free ads generally work in the fiber-related forums I've participated in.

One of the rules that's been worked out pretty ubiquitously in fiber forums is that the FREE ads on those forums can only be posted by end-users selling their personal stuff -- no free ad posts by for-profit dealers or resellers are allowed, and there are no exceptions.

Generally speaking, the idea is that if you're making a profit, then you shouldn't be mooching off those people who are making positive contributions of their money and/or time to the forum.

For my part, if I've observed that someone appears to be reselling pens or parts for profit, AND they're taking advantage of FPGeeks's FREE ads to hawk their wares, then I'm not going to be buying from them.

-- Constance

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conib For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 5th, 2016), Hawk (January 5th, 2016), Jon Szanto (January 5th, 2016), Marsilius (January 5th, 2016)

Thanks

Not sure about what you've mentioned above, but when I saw FPN listed their classified section at the top of the page above discussions, I eventually saw that was their main focus and decided not to post there.

Quote Originally Posted by conib View Post
    A couple of posters compared FPGeeks with other special-interest forums, and I'd like to add a comment regarding how free ads generally work in the fiber-related forums I've participated in.

One of the rules that's been worked out pretty ubiquitously in fiber forums is that the FREE ads on those forums can only be posted by end-users selling their personal stuff -- no free ad posts by for-profit dealers or resellers are allowed, and there are no exceptions.

Generally speaking, the idea is that if you're making a profit, then you shouldn't be mooching off those people who are making positive contributions of their money and/or time to the forum.

For my part, if I've observed that someone appears to be reselling pens or parts for profit, AND they're taking advantage of FPGeeks's FREE ads to hawk their wares, then I'm not going to be buying from them.

-- Constance

They call them 'flippers"-- the people who buy stuff at good to reasonable prices and resell for profit. That's what god created eBay and FPN for.

When I first joined fpgeeks, it surprised the hell out of me when I couldn't find the rules pertaining to the classified section. What, no minimum number of posts, no minimum time period before being allowed the *privilege* to participate in Classified? No rules and sanctions to minimize and discourage flipping?

These type of rules evolved to preserve community where most members price their items reasonably, in part to support and nurture that community. Rules became necessary because the success of the classified sections in such discussion boards began to attract flippers.

Someone mentioned maybe people *have to* flip for a profit in order to afford to take part in the hobby. I disagree. I believe in playing within ones own means, and actually you only need one pen to take part.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bluesea For This Useful Post:

conib (January 5th, 2016), fountainpenkid (January 5th, 2016), Haefennasiel (January 6th, 2016), Hawk (January 5th, 2016), Jon Szanto (January 5th, 2016), Marsilius (January 5th, 2016), reprieve (January 5th, 2016)

Thanks

Is that a...
    1. You won't believe it if I tell you anyway

OR

2. Don't even go there...

I love Mr. Bronson (that is him, right?)
    - Will

Thanks

Is that a...
    1. You won't believe it if I tell you anyway

OR

2. Don't even go there...

I love Mr. Bronson (that is him, right?)
    Number two. And yes it is, and I do, too. One of the reasons for #2 is that the original question left off the third part of the triumvirate: The Ugly.

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 6th, 2016), penwash (January 7th, 2016), reprieve (January 5th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Charles Bronson the great.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 6th, 2016), Marsilius (January 6th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Charles Bronson the great.
    I especially enjoy Once Upon a Time in the West, Breakheart Pass, From Noon Till Three, and Red Sun (with Toshiro Mifune).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

I am not sure why there is so much excitement about this. This is sort of analogous to a scalper upping the price of tickets. While it's not anything I would do, there seems to be such a lack of consideration for others rampant in the world today that this should hardly be surprising. Some people do care about others, but there are many who will do whatever they can get away with. The Pelikan Cities series pens are passing into the realm of real collectibles that are not seen for sale commonly as they used to be. So, a store like FPH selling them at less than market value and a sagacious buyer grabbing it and upping or scalping the asking price, is it surprising?

I will tell you what I think about collectors generally. I normally keep this to myself, but I have found collectors to pull off every cheat and scam to get more money for their collections that I got pretty disgusted and stopped collecting coins and nearly stopped collecting Spanish stamps. I got carried away and collected Parker 51s because they were cheap and available in the 70s and 80s. I have had collectors steal valuable stamps from my collection, steal all the dimes out of a book and leave slugs, and look at stamps I had in a stock book, mendaciously argue that the stamps had defects and offer a lowball, near nothing price. To me "collector" is often mysteriously in my eyes changed to "turd." When I have tried to sell pens on FPN you wouldn't believe the lowball offers I got for pens. So, I didn't offer many there. Ebay has been a more honest marketplace for me as seller and buyer. Here it's all free, so here is where you will see this kind of flip. Really it's not illegal, and it is more straightforward than some ploys I have been subjected to, and it costs the seller little more than his good name for his foolishness in disclosing the provenance of the pen. Frankly, though, I find that the only pens in this series that are at all attractive are the Place de la Concorde and the Madrid. I only looked at this ad because I wanted to see how much the seller was seeking to profit from the sale.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

bluesea (January 7th, 2016), Crazyorange (January 6th, 2016), reprieve (January 6th, 2016), Sandy Fry (January 7th, 2016)