Thread: TWSBI Vac Mini: A Review

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

Default TWSBI Vac Mini: A Review

Yet again, I found myself unable to resist the frenzy of apple-esque fandom that has surrounded TWSBI since its inception. They do a very good job creating a phenomenon around each pen, releasing their own developmental 'leaks' which leave adoring fans to speculate for months if not years about release specifics. In the case of the Vac mini, that period lasted over three years. Why so long? I think it comes down to their priorities...there is no way it could take three years to develop something as simple as a pen. Whatever the reason, I always found myself sucked in(), but soon regretful: all of my previous TWSBIs--the mini, the Classic, and the Eco--met a new owner very quickly because they fell short of my expectations. By the time I sold off the especially-hyped Eco, I had become sure of one thing: that no matter how much a pen meets the faddish specifications of pen geeks (affordable, piston filling, demonstrator...etc), the proof was always in the pudding--execution is key. As I did some rapid-fire selling-off to fund this pen, I couldn't help but think, "Will this finally be the one to keep?" What follows is a working out of that very question.

But first, I've decided to add in some quick opinions:
    (If you're looking for specifications, go to the Vac mini's product page on the Goulet's site)
    Comparable Modern Pens for Context (mostly by ergonomic/design similarity):
    TWSBI Mini (different model family (piston filler instead of vac), but nearly the same design in a smaller package)
    TWSBI Vac 700 (same model family...)
    Pilot Prera (similar price, size and demonstrator design)
    Pelikan M400 (exact same size capped, similar section girth)
    Pilot Custom 92 (similar demonstrator design and also non-c/c but a bit longer)
    Pilot Stargazer (similar pocket-able size)
    Pilot Custom 823 (same filling system (including ink-shutoff valve), translucent plastic)
    Some Visconti (powerfillers), Eboya and Danitrio models; all Conid Bulkfillers (ink shutoff valve system)

And the ubiquitous..
    Pros:
    -large ink capacity
    -ink shutoff valve
    -completely maintainable (everything except cap can be taken apart w/ tools provided)
    -pocket-friendly (small and reliable*)
    -threaded posting cap
    -modern, quirky design
    -great balance
    -nib units easily replaced
    -high bang for buck (high quality product for $60)
    -INDUSTRY-LEADING customer service attached!

Cons:
    -small section diameter with large step--uncomfortable for many
    -coarse threading is uncomfortable
    -attention to design detail lacking (cross-threading on posting threads, clip wobble...)
    -filling system hard to flush
    -nib assembly design is flawed
    -boring nib
    -cracking issue looms as with nearly all TWSBIs***

DSCF2564.JPG
    The nicely branded cardboard pen-coffin sleeve gives the presentation of the pen a certain legitimacy that was not there before it, and of course, the stylish coffin itself has become an iconic marker of TWSBI's aesthetic sensibilities and modernist values. Everything oozes the breed of refinement that comes with cold modernism. The pen itself, in this trim, continues this trend: the clear plastic/steel combination echoes today's glassy, airy architecture. It feels well-weighted in the hand, more so than the mini. This combined with the fact that it is the size of my favorite pen, the Pelikan (M)400, when capped made me very satisfied. Almost. Manufacturing oils of some kind were all over the pen (which I've never had happen on any of the TWSBIs I've bought before), and I felt injection molding seams when my fingers felt the section--not what I expected from cold, refined modernity--at least not at this price.
    DSCF2563.JPG
    Inking it up, I was impressed with the precise feeling and elegant mechanics of the vacuum filler, but the action (on the upstroke) could have been smoother. Of course, this is easy to fix using the included metal filling assembly wrench and a bit of silicone grease (also included), but I had expected more, especially considering that even the Eco's piston was butter-smooth. It fills consistently to a healthy 2/3 capacity, which I augment using the inversion method to get a full fill. When the barrel is filled with ink completely, it holds a very healthy 2 mLs by my measurements. I must contest, however, that this is less than the vintage Pelikan 400, which holds upwards of 2.2 mLs with no such 'every last drop' trickery. That pen also flushes easy as pie, which is one of the main detractors for vacuum fillers: good luck getting all the ink out without disassembly, which, it turns out, is totally doable with this pen. But while piston fillers make for easy flushing and filling, they have no way of containing their fill. Vacuum fillers like this one, with built in ink-shutoff valves, do. For anyone who is rough-and-tumble with their pens or wears them on their person, this is a huge advantage. More on that later.
    DSCF2568.JPG
    I wish I cared more about how it wrote, but I'll admit it: I didn't really give a shit. TWSBI nibs, with the exception of stubs, italics, and maybe this posh 'architect's point' fad, are heartless creatures, and I've become numb to them. Take them in your hand as pure functional tools, detached from romanticism or expression (and take what I write with a good dose of sodium chloride.) Yes, the fine-that-writes-like-an-extra-fine on this pen is relatively smooth with crowd-pleasing middle-of-the-road wetness, but when compared with any of my nibs that provide line variation (whether mechanical or natural), it is a killjoy. It's perfect for practical purposes--filling out forms, writing on mediocre paper and all of that--but when I have good paper around, it sees little use. And it's not just the lack of flexibility or line variation (I do not disdain all modern nibs!)--the specific combination of toothiness with absolutely no give whatsoever makes the nib on my pen quite objectionable for any 'real' writing. Before you chalk it up to being a dud, I'll say that my Mini, Classic and Eco wrote similarly. Suum cuique. That said, the current nib universe is quite conducive to modification ('grind yours to that double-broad flexy oblique you've always dreamed of, or send it to someone who can!'), and for those who don't like such hassles, TWSBI offers what I hear to be a fine stub nib (1.1 or 1.5 mm standard). But perhaps the most intriguing option is to replace the nib altogether with a vintage one. (see here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...ni-and-others/) Then, you have a throughouly modern, super-reliable nibholder for your favorite vintage nib. Hmmmm. One more thing: though this nib assembly is interchangeable with the Diamond mini's, the designs are slightly different which makes for a difference is seating between the two: while the original mini's nib collar extends out past the metal section ring, the Vac mini's is now elegantly flush.
    DSCF2567.JPG
    What is it like in the hand? For me, it is not as comfortable as I hoped, but there are a few features that make this quite a desirable pocket-pen for certain people. First is the section design. It's long, thin and straight profile make it quite comfortable for those who can tolerate a thinner grip--unlike with the mini, there is really space to position one's fingers. Second is the balance. There is a perceivable backweight to the pen, both posted and not, that is absent on the mini. In both cases, the balance is quite nice--at no point have I felt the pen trying to 'lift itself' off the page, or slip downwards out of my grip. At 27 grams wet (why not use automotive terms?), it feels stoutly made, yet sprightly enough to be used for long periods of time. The third key ergonomic feature are the section threads, and they illuminate the janusian nature of TWSBI's 'Vac-filling pen aesthetic': the coarse threads, linked to a defined downward step between the barrel and the section, allow for two different gripping diameters, but at the same time, make holding the pen on the threads very uncomfortable for many (myself included). This would not be a problem were it not that that distance from the nib tip is quite a nice one for those who prefer the comfort side of things on the nib-control/hand-relaxation continuum. The original mini doesn't do much better in terms of thread design (again thick and deep), but its lack of any net step between section and barrel allows for one to position the fingers at a more shallow angle that is more comfortable (you don't feel your fingertips digging into the threading as much). All this is irrelevant if you can deal with the thin (m400 thin) section, and as someone who can, I can say that is moderately satisfying. If I had my way, of a slight concavity (achieved through increasing the diameter at the section ends) would be added to the section for comfort.
    DSCF2573.JPG
    Were this a c/c filler, I would be done with this section of the review now, and simply say, 'meh.' I think this is a case of a filling system absolving--or at least mellowing--a pen's sins. The mechanism isn't just cool, but completely functional. I've already mentioned it holds a great amount of ink, but I think its other feature, the ink shutoff valve, deserves some special mention. I would be remiss to not tell you that this feature was the breaking point for me buying this pen. And it deserves to be, in my opinion. Having no regrets about taking a sweaty run to the library with the Vac mini tumbling about in your sweatpants' pocket is wonderfully liberating. There is simply no need to baby this pen (trust me, I threw it out of a second-story window earlier today). This is not to say there is no nib creep, no condensation in the inner cap and no droplets of ink all over the nib after an accidental drop, but rather that this pen cannot, in its factory state, have any 'big accidents'. Some people would rather not have the feature (which is possible by simply removing the seal at the end of the filling rod), citing the fact that for longer writing sessions, you will have to open the valve by twisting the blind cap. I think that's ridiculous: is a return to the traditional constraints of fountain pen reliability really worth it? **
    DSCF2571.JPG
    Good design has been one of TWSBI's selling points for years. In 2010, the Diamond 530 model won the Red Dot Design Award, a fact the Taiwanese company was quick to add to the pen's case. Until final prototype shots were released in 2014, the design differences between this pen and it's piston-filling cousin were mysterious, both because of the nature of prototypes and TWSBI's reticence towards verbalizing their differences. Thus it was a pleasant surprise to learn that TWSBI had made subtle alterations to the 'mini' design in their newest pen. The Vac mini hybridizes the design of its namesake and its mini-series cousin to create a pen that looks very much like a larger (in every dimension) Diamond mini when capped, and an odd progeny of that and the Vac 700 (mainly because of the straight section) when uncapped. Considering the popularity of the Diamond series and the general enthusiasm around its modern, slightly glitzy design, this was probably the right choice, both from a sales perspective and a philosophical one. It is thus not that much of a surprise for those who follow the brand. This is not to diminish what I see as some excellent subtle design improvements and alterations. My favorite is the taper they added to the filling knob, whose straight design on the the mini I always felt was out of place and awkward. To my eye, this pen looks really balanced when capped. The others are more functional: the more traditional faceted barrel serves pretty well as a roll-stop, and the faceted as opposed to smooth cap works well with this design. Also present here is a screw-in section, which means no more creaking as with the mini, whose 'sandwitched' section design is atrocious. But as much as these subtleties will likely appease those versed with TWSBIs , when used alongside higher-grade pens, the quirky freshness fades and a lasting impression of unoffensive mediocrity becomes this pen's contribution to this pen-geek's habitus: the proportions when uncapped are undeniably a bit odd, especially when posted, and the flashiness of the thick cap band and slightly mismatching trim designs have a surprising effect towards this. If you're looking for good industrial design in the broader sense--an object imbued with a sense of purpose (in TWSBI's case, that of a user-maintainable, everyday pen)--the mini, as with most of TWSBI's pens, will fulfill, but if you want industrial art; well, look elsewhere.
    DSCF2572.JPG
    There are a few other differences between the mini cousins, but these are more relevant when we speak of this pen's quality. The clip has been given wiggle room (some speculate this is to prevent cracking), which lends itself to a cheap feel, though I have the feeling you can prevent this perception by not touching it. Worse still, the posting threads, a great idea, are compromised by their annoying propensity to cross-thread. (let's hope TWSBI is already redesigning this) I do like that the o-rings are now recessed, though I still think their presence a little silly. Onto the 'quality' part of this. In one word, the pen again gets a 'meh'. It's all in the little things, really. For instance, the cap threading is quite wobbly, and when you engage the o-ring seal on the section, the inner cap compresses a bit, bumping up against the outer cap and creating the illusion of ink-droplets. The threading of the filling knob is similarly sub par--opening the ink-shutoff valve for longer writing (or to fill the pen) feels imprecise and sloppy. (though I can't say much more for vintage Sheaffer vac-fillers) TWSBI maintains their flawed 'contained feed' nib assembly design, which makes flushing harder and limits ink capacity. And yes, those injection molding seams on the section still bother me. But this is a $60 pen. With an excellent and hardly simple filling mechanism, a distinctive design, and a good deal of precision-manufactured metal parts. I think I can live with the stick-straight section that feels a bit cheap, the bad thread design, and the wobbly clip. If I put a vintage nib in this I expect it might soar into frequent use.
    DSCF2569.JPG
    In sum, I am quite pleased with the Vac mini. It looks better, feels better, fills better, and is, I think most saliently, more reliable than the mini, and in fact, most modern pens. It blurs the line between pocket pen and full-size pen: I don't feel as though its main attribute and selling point is 'portability', but rather its unique combination of unpretentious, user-catering modern design, affordability, and reliability. It is flawed, of course, and for some, its flaws might be fatal. But no pen can please everyone. Perhaps this will only please a meager 'some'. I happen to be one of them. Yes, self of "First Impressions", this is the one to keep.

**I use "traditional" for rhetorical purposes only. Leakproof pens have been around since the turn of the last century, if not even earlier. See here: http://www.vintagepens.com/Onoto.shtml and here:http://www.vintagepens.com/safety_pens.shtml. My Waterman's 14s Saftey is just as reliable, if not more reliable, than the Vac mini, but it is a full century old(er), and deserves some peace and quiet.

*While the short notes I wrote in testing the pen for review didn't show me this, more extensive use has turned up the ink starvation problem that Stephen Brown and others have reported. While it is concerning that this issue is not considered as such by the company (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...formance-poll/), this problem is rare and not necessarily a deal breaker if you're only taking short notes.

***I'm sad to report that the Vac mini of this review (now sold unrelated reason) has developed cracks in many of the common places: on and above the cap threads, barrel threads and filing knob threads. Their plastic is still flawed, but it won't change, it seems.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; January 24th, 2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: clarity
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogon07 (December 29th, 2015), brunico (February 12th, 2019), carlc (February 16th, 2016), carlos.q (December 29th, 2015), Crazyorange (December 30th, 2015), Flounder (February 16th, 2016), HoLmeslice (December 29th, 2015), inklord (December 29th, 2015), Jeph (December 29th, 2015), KKay (December 30th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (February 15th, 2016), Mags (December 31st, 2015), reprieve (December 30th, 2015), Robert (December 29th, 2015), rpsyed (December 30th, 2015), WmEdwards (December 6th, 2016), writingrav (December 29th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: TWSBI Vac Mini: A Review

Interesting review = = and your pictures are quite lovely.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 29th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Funny! I like the review. Good job.

"I threw it out of a second-story window earlier today" isn't usually something I think of doing with a pen I like .... But I love the no-holds barred testing. And with some pens, hey, they can crack just sitting on your desk. Why not live a little.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Interesting and detailed review with great photos.
    I trust you are going to mention you "threw it out of a second-story window" if you try to resell it.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you for the review. My wonderfully, lovely wife bought me one for Christmas, but somehow TWSBI managed to ship a Diamond 580. Mistakes happen, plus, I know how crazy the Christmas/holiday season is...

That said, the opening of the gift made for a comical, awkward unveiling, but I was supremely surprised that she bought me a pen off my wish list (considering that it was the most recent addition to my list). Thankfully, the kind folks at TWSBI have shipped the correct pen out on Monday, and I've gotten the chance to use (for a week) a pen that I had told myself that I didn't want to buy. Somehow a 580 now finds itself being etched onto my growing wish list of pens, and the accumulated pen stash from the TWSBI brand (I currently own an Eco, and a Mini). Cheers!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HoLmeslice For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 30th, 2015)

Thanks

I love it, as long as it doesn't crack. the jowo EF isn't fine enough for me. I took the Pilot penmanship EF nib, ground off the tabs on the side and shoved it in the vac mini. perfect!

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I like the honesty and humor of your review. Wonderful.

I completely agree with you that the filling system is the main draw of this pen. It holds a lot of ink and the shutoff valve allows it to be tossed into a bag and jostled around without too much worry. And its size is really nice--it's larger than the regular Mini but smaller than the 580, along the lines of the Pelikan M400 as you pointed out, which is the perfect carry-around size for me. TWSBI nibs are good workaday nibs and, coupled with the ink capacity and the shutoff valve, this is a really nice workaday pen. It seems hardy, too, which adds to that workaday, toss-it-about feel--I dropped the cap of my Vac Mini onto a hardwood floor approximately 30 seconds after receiving the pen (before I had even inked it) and expected to see a crack or at least some scratches but it's impressively unscathed.

I have several TWSBIs in rotation for use at work--three 580s and an Eco and a couple of regular Minis and now this Vac Mini--and the Vac Mini is my favorite of the bunch followed closely by the regular Mini. (I tried the Vac 700, but it was simply too large and unwieldy for me and I found the step between the section and barrel to be uncomfortable. I think the Vac Mini is a much better design.) I'm hoping that TWSBI will eventually release the Vac Mini in different colors as I'd like to buy a second one.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 30th, 2015), writingrav (December 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Great review! And fantastic photos.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I'm hoping that TWSBI will eventually release the Vac Mini in different colors as I'd like to buy a second one.
    I hope so as well, but fear it might not happen because they dropped all the colored models for the standard Vac and might want to limit the color options of the vac mini to demo and clear w/black section+filling knob. I'm baffled by their choice to discontinue those models anyhow--they made the line, IMO.
    Will

Thanks

Twsbi announced in their facebook page a vac mini with black section and back cap.
    How much should I unscrew the back cap? I find the ink not flowing to the section. Its a dark brown one so its difficult to see if the shutoff valve is completely open.

Thanks

Excellent review, thanks.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bivibag For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (January 5th, 2016)

Thanks

My sister has taken the Vac mini with her on a semester in France, and she's reported back a bit about her experience with it. While I'm happy to confirm that the ink shutoff valve works well (there was no leaking whatsoever during or after the flight), she noted that it would not write at all afterwards (even after she opened the valve and shook the pen) until she dunked the nib water--I'm not sure what caused this, but it seems odd to me. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Will

Thanks

Ashamed to say I'm reading this review for the first time today! Your photos are astounding!
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 4th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Ashamed to say I'm reading this review for the first time today! Your photos are astounding!
    And I am ashamed to say I only read it after Flounder's comment drew my attention to it.

An excellent review. I especially love the reference to apple fanboi* status and the discussion of modernism.

* I believe this is how the trendy types spell it but I may be out of date. I've already been told off today by my eldest for saying 'totes' a lot (as in 'totes amazeballs'), apparently this is no longer 'on trend'.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

celticursa (November 12th, 2016)

Thanks

I added some addenda to the review a few days ago, for the sake of accuracy. While I still think the pen offers something worthwhile at its price-point, the ending praise of "the one to keep" rings of new pen hyperbole syndrome now. If yours doesn't crack or dry out while writing, I still believe it's one of the better options for those who want rugged reliability and a fashionable modern design from a 'quick-note' everyday sort of pen.

If the ergonimics were improved (thicker, tapered grip section, less obtrusive threads with no step), the clip more sturdily attached, the quality control of plastic and performance made better, and the posting threads properly engineered, this would be quite the pen, befitting my rosy review of it. In fact, if the nib assembly were made like Pelikan's, this would be perhaps the best buy of any modern 'edc' pen under $100. But these things won't change....it's a tricky sell.
    Will

Thanks

I like these little pens a lot. I've one inked with Noodler's Bad Blue Heron and the other (smoky section & filler) with Diamine Washable Blue. Both EF nibs. Great writers for the money and cleaning the ink chamber is easy - just unscrew the front section!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    I like these little pens a lot. I've one inked with Noodler's Bad Blue Heron and the other (smoky section & filler) with Diamine Washable Blue. Both EF nibs. Great writers for the money and cleaning the ink chamber is easy - just unscrew the front section!
    Glad to hear it! The removable section does make cleaning easier but I find I can't get all the ink out without actually removing and washing the mechanism and barrel. If you're switching between darker inks, there's no problem in this, but it makes vac fillers in general a less attractive option for switching between saturated and unsaturated inks.
    Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    Glad to hear it! The removable section does make cleaning easier but I find I can't get all the ink out without actually removing and washing the mechanism and barrel. If you're switching between darker inks, there's no problem in this, but it makes vac fillers in general a less attractive option for switching between saturated and unsaturated inks.
    You are quite right. I did use the TWSBI spanner on my Pilot 823 with complete success and I think I'll take out the piston of the Vac Mini next time I switch inks.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"