Thread: Leaking Mont Blanc 146 - DIY fix :-)

Thanks

Default Leaking Mont Blanc 146 - DIY fix :-)

I bought a used Mont Blanc 146 in cosmetically excellent condition from a dealer on eBay. A few months later, I noticed ink on my fingers every time I used the pen. Closer inspection revealed ink on the section of the pen. A quick internet search showed that this was quite a common malady with this pen. The problem was either a crack in the section or the pen needed a service with re-application of internal sealant. A Mont Blanc service in UK is about 90 pounds sterling. So, I decided to have a go myself. Then I came across the next problem. Taking a Mont Blanc apart was not that straightforward; one needed special tools... one tool to remove the nib unit and one for the piston. These tools were available from eBay but they were not cheap. So, I decided to bodge a tool to remove the nib unit. It was easy really. I just took an old fork and bent the spikes as shown in the attached photograph. The ends of the spike were filed down to fit the slots in the nib unit. The fork tool worked first time. There was a tiny dried up glob of sealant on the threads of the nib unit and this would explain why ink was leaking through and ending up on the section. I applied silicone grease on to the thread and barrel of the nib unit and put it all back together. Problem solved! :-)

I am thinking of reshaping the other two spikes of the fork into a piston tool... so I have both nib and piston tools in one unit!

NDF_4991MB146_fork.jpg
    Last edited by Monz; December 31st, 2015 at 10:54 AM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Monz For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

carlos.q (December 31st, 2015), catbert (December 14th, 2022), Flounder (January 19th, 2016), fountainpenkid (December 31st, 2015), Marsilius (January 3rd, 2016), mhosea (January 7th, 2016), MY63 (December 31st, 2015), Pelikan-Vera (December 31st, 2015), Rossler (February 21st, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (December 31st, 2015), tandaina (January 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Leaking Mont Blanc 146 - DIY fix :-)

I watched as someone pulled the nib out without the tool to remove the nib like you did. I think this is the much better way to go.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

Monz (January 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

Make sure to use only your best forks for this!
    Fortibus es in ero

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Flounder (January 19th, 2016), Monz (January 3rd, 2016), Rossler (February 21st, 2017)

Thanks

When ever i start to think MB nib removal I will for evermore say to myself, "Fork It"!
    Thank You,
    Dana

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pensplash For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (January 7th, 2016), Monz (January 8th, 2016), Rossler (February 21st, 2017)

Thanks

The Janus Fork

Here is the final "two-faced" Mont Blanc tool: one pair of spikes opens the nib unit, the other pair opens the piston.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monz For This Useful Post:

Joseph B (January 22nd, 2016), lobster (September 9th, 2023), Rossler (February 21st, 2017)

Thanks

aka The Janus Tool!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cepasaccus For This Useful Post:

Monz (January 23rd, 2016)

Thanks

Let us know if that silicone grease seals the leak. It's not really a sealant, but who knows?

It's gutsy to take a pricey pen apart like that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Monz (January 27th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Let us know if that silicone grease seals the leak. It's not really a sealant, but who knows?

It's gutsy to take a pricey pen apart like that.
    The silicone grease worked like a charm... no ink on the section at all since I did the DIY fix. In fact, it has really made the pen a joy to use. The pen was originally bought in 1986 and has a lovely springy nib which I now fully appreciate. The silicone grease that I used is this stuff:

http://www.vintagepensacsandparts.co...silicon_grease

Thanks

UPDATE: after initial success with silicone grease on the threads, the leakage of the ink recurred which was annoying. By chance I mentioned this problem to a friend of mine who is a dermatologist (and also a Mont Blanc user with a similar leakage problem!). He delved into his bag and produced a pot of Hydromol ointment (which is normally used for eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions). It contains Cetomacrogol emulsifying wax, yellow soft paraffin and liquid paraffin. He assured me that this ointment would do the job and was quite chemically inert. I decided to give it a go and applied a light coating of this ointment to the threads connecting the nib unit to the barrel of my MB 146. It seems to work.... no leakage for about 2 weeks now, including a few ink refills over that period.

I'm not sure about the long term consequences of applying Hydromol to plastic/ resin. So I am also experimenting with a home made beewswax/ castor oil concoction.

DSCF1144b by Monz, on Flickr

DSCF1145b by Monz, on Flickr
    Last edited by Monz; May 8th, 2016 at 07:36 AM.

Thanks

To make the beeswax/castor oil sealant, I obtained 100% beeswax pellets and a bottle of Castor Oil from Amazon. Then I placed 5g of beeswax and 15g of castor oil (for the 1:3 mix) into a metal container. The container was then heated in a double-boiler until the wax melted. The mixture was then stirred until it was homogenous and then allowed to cool. I haven't used the beeswax sealant yet... will report back when I do.

DSCF1135A by Monz, on Flickr

DSCF1137B by Monz, on Flickr

DSCF1138B by Monz, on Flickr

DSCF1140B by Monz, on Flickr

DSCF1141B by Monz, on Flickr

DSCF1145b by Monz, on Flickr
    Last edited by Monz; January 15th, 2022 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monz For This Useful Post:

Flounder (May 8th, 2016), Rossler (March 1st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

I missed this thread back in January.

+1 for self-made tools. I notice that people who end up being good at repairs or restoration always have their own homemade tools. And after restoring vintage pens for a while now, I find myself doing this also.

+1 for updating us with the situation. Most posts that claimed success in DIY fixing were not followed up with what happened later on.

+1 for your DIY sealant formula

Only one question remains... where are you going to find another leaky MB 146 to test your beeswax sealant?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

20. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Monz (May 8th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I missed this thread back in January.

+1 for self-made tools. I notice that people who end up being good at repairs or restoration always have their own homemade tools. And after restoring vintage pens for a while now, I find myself doing this also.

+1 for updating us with the situation. Most posts that claimed success in DIY fixing were not followed up with what happened later on.

+1 for your DIY sealant formula

Only one question remains... where are you going to find another leaky MB 146 to test your beeswax sealant?
    Thanks Will. I promised my dermatologist friend that I'd try to fix the leak in his MB 146 once I am confident that one of the above sealant does the job. I have a feeling that the beeswax/castor oil sealant should work well.... might try that on his pen.

The thing I don't understand is why we need to use sealant at all with Mont Blancs. On Pelikans with pistons, you just screw in the nib without any sealant and there is no leak.

Thanks

Monz, this is an excellent addition to your thread. I have several attempts to use beeswax alone to seal a Parker 65 shell (a Parker service manual ambiguously advises to use 'wax') and never could get it completely ink tight. Pressing my pinky against the join would give a tell-tale stain.

Parker 65 Section pure beeswax.jpg

I think Stef's P65 video illustrates the problem - about the 8min 25 mark. As soon as the wax is removed from the heat, it dries to a clump on his paintbrush.

I had a strong feeling that beeswax needs to be cut with something to make it less of a crumbly solid at room temperature. At the time, I was getting fed up with the wax and made a batch of rosin sealant so heavy on the castor oil that it was essentially just a very malleable gum with next to no stickiness. When I was satisfied that it worked - and would safely release - on garbage shallow loose ballpoint threads, I took the plunge and the 65 stopped staining my pinky when pressed against the join.

Since then, I've read of DIY men's pomade recipes (of all things) loosening beeswax by melting & mixing in castor oil, with essentials oil added for smelling nice. I think you've hit the nail on the head! From what I've read on FPN ( I'm not an MB guy) MB have moved away from this design and started using a gasket instead of sealant.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

Monz (May 8th, 2016), Rossler (March 1st, 2017)

Thanks

I've had a go melting beeswax (big lumps) and mixing in castor oil. In a castor -oil heavy ratio, it doesn't crumble apart quite so readily.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

Monz (May 23rd, 2016), Rossler (March 1st, 2017)