Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on starter pens

Thanks

Default Re: Suggestions on starter pens

Probably too late but I would also recommend the Lamy Al Star. It was my first FP and one of the best things is that you can buy various nib sizes including an italic. The nib is so easy to remove and fit. They also come in a large range of colours and are very modern looking with an unusual clip.
    “When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Probably too late but I would also recommend the Lamy Al Star. It was my first FP and one of the best things is that you can buy various nib sizes including an italic. The nib is so easy to remove and fit. They also come in a large range of colours and are very modern looking with an unusual clip.
    I am going to order al-star fp. I have the rollerball and I love it.

Thanks

Terie, Good choice. Consider getting M also, for a difference in nibs. The nibs are interchangable, i.e. the nib and feed screw in for easy changing. The 2668 is a fine/medium nib.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Here is my list (alpha order) for you to continue buying more pens. All are $30 or less :-)
    Before you buy, you should research the individual pens, to see what they are and how they work, to see if you want to buy one or not.

new (cartridge/converter unless noted otherwise) :
    - Baoer; 388 (but 4 of 5 of mine needed the nib adjusted to be able to write)
    - Lamy; Safari, Vista, Al Star, joy
    - Parker; IM
    - Pilot; 78G
    - Rossetta; Explorer
    - TWSBI; Eco (piston)

vintage/used
    - Esterbrook; J series (J, LJ, SJ), (ink sac). Note that you should have the sac replaced, as an unreplaced sac would be 50+ years old, and could leak next week.
    - Parker; 45 (cartridge/converter)
    - Reform; 1745, (piston).
    - Sheaffer; School Pen, (cartridge only).

I have and use/used all of these pens.
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks

My preferred pens are all in this category, didn't get to pricier ens (yet? )

Lamy Safari (bonus: can get different nibs and change in an instant)
    Kaweco Sport - awesome for throwing in a bag, too
    TWSBI Eco- my first and only TWSBI to date, and I love it
    Nemosine Singularity pens , purchased via www.xfountainpens.com are surprisingly good budget pens
    "Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things
    in the world that just don't add up."
    James Magary

Thanks

Thanks to all with the suggestions. They are great.
    I think my husband is not going to be happy lol. Although I have seen way too many that I would love to have. Some that I will never own, others I can.

I'm currently waiting on a Esterbrook J and a Lamy nexx.

I see everyone seems to love the safari over the al-star, can you please tell me the reasons?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terie_Benjamin View Post
    Thanks to all with the suggestions. They are great.
    I think my husband is not going to be happy lol. Although I have seen way too many that I would love to have. Some that I will never own, others I can.

I'm currently waiting on a Esterbrook J and a Lamy nexx.

I see everyone seems to love the safari over the al-star, can you please tell me the reasons?
    Personally, I don't really prefer one over the other. Although, I get more use out of the Safari ( or in my case, the Vista ) because it leaves the house
    What I like about the Al-Star is the color I chose and the fact that even though it has less plastic, it isn't a heavy pen.
    The Nexx is a wider pen with a wider section and a softer feel to me. What I like about that one is that it doesn't feel like a chunky, heavy pen ( which some people like ).
    I am glad you chose to buy a few different types because, even though you can swap nibs on the same pen, now you can literally get the feel for what you like in a pen design, and test out which characteristics of nib size you like.
    By the way, I am not sure if you rotate a pen when you write, but Lamy also sells oblique nibs too.

Thanks

I would not say that people love the Safari over the Al Star, but the Safari is likely selected over the Al Star. I could love one pen but select another, in a compromise.

The Safari
    - at 17g, the Safari is a little bit lighter than the Al Star (22g), if you are weight sensitive, or write for a LONG time.
    - the plastic it is made of is VERY durable, good for school use or use any place where the pen could take a beating.
    - the clear version of the Safari is the Vista, if you want a clear pen.
    - the Safari is cheaper than the Al Star by about $8 at Goulet Pens. That $8 is approx 28% more than the Safari, so a significant % cost more.

The Al Star
    - The color to me is much nicer than the colored plastic. But it is subject to wear.
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    The Al Star
    - The color to me is much nicer than the colored plastic. But it is subject to wear.
    Yes, Very Good point. So, Terie: Maybe this one stays home?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    The Al Star
    Yes, Very Good point. So, Terie: Maybe this one stays home?
    Thank you both, I keep my Lamy al-star rollerball in my purse at all times.
    So far I haven't scratched it up, but I also keep it in a zippered compartment by itself.

I don't mind the weight of the al-star as most of my writing is done in my journal

Thanks

For my hand the Kakuno fits much better than the Metropolitan. It has a triangular section with the corners rounded, and which from *memory* is a bit thicker than the Safari.

I'm just hanging on to my Met till it can be loaned or passed on to a deserving noob(s).

shaky hand, I know, and its Yama-budo not Asa-gao
    Last edited by bluesea; January 13th, 2016 at 10:08 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesea For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
    For my hand the Kakuno fits much better than the Metropolitan. It has a triangular section with the corners rounded, and which from *memory* is a bit thicker than the Safari.

I'm just hanging on to my Met till it can be loaned or passed on to a deserving noob(s).

shaky hand, I know, and its Yama-budo not Asa-gao
    I think I may try one out. My kids are already pining for my metro. Lol I give my husband and kids the pens that I don't care for.

Thanks

Are you trying to start a collection of cheap pens? Instead of buying all that stuff you could buy a higher quality item from time to time. Like a Parker 51. Then a Montblanc 146. Later on a Waterman Carene or Edson. Then much later a DuPont. Then you would have some excellent pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Are you trying to start a collection of cheap pens? Instead of buying all that stuff you could buy a higher quality item from time to time. Like a Parker 51. Then a Montblanc 146. Later on a Waterman Carene or Edson. Then much later a DuPont. Then you would have some excellent pens.
    I'm trying to figure out what I like and don't like, so that way when I do invest a higher quality pen I will know exactly what I want in a pen. Being new to fp I'm not going to spend a few hundred dollars until I understand them more.

Also my kids love drawing so it's not wasting money as my kids will enjoy them

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Terie_Benjamin For This Useful Post:

Anne (January 14th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (January 15th, 2016), SaoDavi (January 16th, 2016)

Thanks

Where are you located? You could go to a local pen meetup and try a bunch of pens!

Thanks

I'm in belvidere illinois.

Thanks

I have no idea how far that is from Chicago -- but the Chicago pen show is in April and you could try a ton of pens there. Or check the board for gatherings and see if there's anything local to you.

Thanks

I'd suggest the usual ones: Safary, Metropolitan etc. But the 51 is a great pen. That's a really nice suggestion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post
    I have no idea how far that is from Chicago -- but the Chicago pen show is in April and you could try a ton of pens there. Or check the board for gatherings and see if there's anything local to you.
    Ty, I am going to the show by then I will be more informed about what I am looking for in a pen.

Actually Roger W. was talking about trying to get a meeting out here, I've even offered our business to host them so I can get as much information as I can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ppmiranda View Post
    I'd suggest the usual ones: Safary, Metropolitan etc. But the 51 is a great pen. That's a really nice suggestion.
    I don't know enough about fps to order a used pen online. I don't know what to look out for etc. Replicas, damaged. I've bought 2 from this forum.