Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Suggestions on starter pens

Thanks

Default Re: Suggestions on starter pens

Terie, do you like clear ( demonstrator ) pens?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesea View Post

I'm digging the discussion on "cheap" pens. Admittedly I'm one for going a bit overboard, but I have two Kakuno, and a Platinum Preppy 2.0. Great workmanlike writers all, and the Kakuno also fits my ef nib from the Pilot Penmanship, and the 1.0mm Italic from the Plumix. The Preppy 2.0 is also a good way to experiment with the Platinum ef (a true needlepoint for sure), prior to a full investment is a nice Platinum.

I really like versatile pens. It's good to know that they take nibs from another brand. Especially the Kakuno taking an italic
    Maybe the Plumix italic nib would have more line variation than my Kaweco 1.1mm...

Not another brand, but Pilot Penmanship/Plumix nibs which are compatible with the Metropolitan, Kakuno, and Prera as well. I know you knew that, but just to be clear anyway.

Thanks

Yes, clear would be a nice edition.

I'm LOVING my Esterbrook J that I just received. And a big thank you to bluesea for the ink samples.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terie_Benjamin For This Useful Post:

Anne (January 16th, 2016), katherine (January 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post

I'm digging the discussion on "cheap" pens. Admittedly I'm one for going a bit overboard, but I have two Kakuno, and a Platinum Preppy 2.0. Great workmanlike writers all, and the Kakuno also fits my ef nib from the Pilot Penmanship, and the 1.0mm Italic from the Plumix. The Preppy 2.0 is also a good way to experiment with the Platinum ef (a true needlepoint for sure), prior to a full investment is a nice Platinum.

I really like versatile pens. It's good to know that they take nibs from another brand. Especially the Kakuno taking an italic
    Maybe the Plumix italic nib would have more line variation than my Kaweco 1.1mm...

Not another brand, but Pilot Penmanship/Plumix nibs which are compatible with the Metropolitan, Kakuno, and Prera as well. I know you knew that, but just to be clear anyway.
    Oh Thanks! LOL, My mistake

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anne For This Useful Post:

bluesea (January 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Yay Esties! What did you fill yours with?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post
    Yay Esties! What did you fill yours with?
    Montblanc Irish green

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Terie_Benjamin For This Useful Post:

bluesea (January 16th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terie_Benjamin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Are you trying to start a collection of cheap pens? Instead of buying all that stuff you could buy a higher quality item from time to time. Like a Parker 51. Then a Montblanc 146. Later on a Waterman Carene or Edson. Then much later a DuPont. Then you would have some excellent pens.
    I'm trying to figure out what I like and don't like, so that way when I do invest a higher quality pen I will know exactly what I want in a pen. Being new to fp I'm not going to spend a few hundred dollars until I understand them more.

Also my kids love drawing so it's not wasting money as my kids will enjoy them
    I did the same thing. Now I have a bunch of mediocre pens.

My advice: the Parker IM is awful. The Pilot Metro is way overrated. Spend an extra $10 and get a decent pen.

At $25 , get a Nemossine (sp). Under $50, get a Lamy. At $50, get a TWSBI. Honorable mention to Kaweco and Faber-Castel.

Just my 2%.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Terie_Benjamin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Are you trying to start a collection of cheap pens? Instead of buying all that stuff you could buy a higher quality item from time to time. Like a Parker 51. Then a Montblanc 146. Later on a Waterman Carene or Edson. Then much later a DuPont. Then you would have some excellent pens.
    I'm trying to figure out what I like and don't like, so that way when I do invest a higher quality pen I will know exactly what I want in a pen. Being new to fp I'm not going to spend a few hundred dollars until I understand them more.

Also my kids love drawing so it's not wasting money as my kids will enjoy them
    I did the same thing. Now I have a bunch of mediocre pens.

My advice: the Parker IM is awful. The Pilot Metro is way overrated. Spend an extra $10 and get a decent pen.

At $25 , get a Nemossine (sp). Under $50, get a Lamy. At $50, get a TWSBI. Honorable mention to Kaweco and Faber-Castel.

Just my 2%.
    When you get a better pen like a Parker 51 or a Montblanc, etc., you will find out that all the experience with the cheap pens has led you to know what you want in a cheap pen. A Parker 51 or a Montblanc 144 or 146 is a pen that will write every time and will will write and work perfectly. The cheap pens today tend to dry out and the nibs are not as good in subtle ways.

My first pen was a Parker 51. Years later I bought a Montblanc 146, then a 144. Only after this did I try all the cheap pens recommended by people writing on pen sites. It has been interesting, but I am back to using the Parker 51, and the Montblancs almost all the time. Cheap pens are OK if you want to use a fountain pen and cannot afford a good pen. I am not wasting any more money on that junk.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

SaoDavi (January 16th, 2016)

Thanks

I tried a cheap pen but hated it; my daughter, who has it now, loves it. I gravitate to Parker 51's as my everyday take to work pens. In my rotation I include a Parker 61 (which has never let me down), Parker IM (great pen that is afraid to die) and a Monteverde Stealth that has chips in the coating and a peeling nib. My retirement 'job' is one where I work with my hands, get dirty at times and at least two of the above fountain pens in my pocket at all times. My nice pens stay at home.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

I always had a Montblanc 144 and a 164 ballpoint in my pocket every day when I was working, after 1983. If I had cheap pens at work, they were in my brief case, and they usually stayed there.

Thanks

I love my Esterbrook that I received this week. Way better than my metropolitan.

I don't want a bunch of cheap pens, I'm only looking to spend about $100 on a pen until I gain more knowledge on fp. I'm hoping to get a higher quality pen at the Chicago show.